cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Refs awful (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19425)

Jeff Lebowski 05-15-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 221493)
I am like Sloan. Consistency.

For the record, I am not the one whining about things when the Lakers lost two in a row in Utah. Making excuses. Blaming refs, blaming the league. It is pretty ridiculous, actually.

No worries, DDD. I don't take your smack too seriously. And I hope nobody takes mine seriously.

Surfah 05-15-2008 08:43 PM

I agree with Abbott. Okur flopped. The mere assertion that Gasol has the strength to move Okur like that is ridiculous.

TheSizzle36 05-15-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 221743)
I agree with Abbott. Okur flopped. The mere assertion that Gasol has the strength to move Okur like that is ridiculous.

Who in the NBA does not flop, using the definition that flopping is an exaggeration of a foul that occurs? Kobe does it all the time. So does Fisher, Gasol, Vujacic and Odom. And so does Boozer (you can hear the man screaming all game long), Williams, and Kirilenko. That is one definition of flopping.

There is also the Vlade Divacs/Manu Ginobili version of flopping where no contact occurs and you throw yourself around like you were smacked across the face. This is the one that REALLY irritates me.

TripletDaddy 05-15-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 221751)
Who in the NBA does not flop, using the definition that flopping is an exaggeration of a foul that occurs? Kobe does it all the time. So does Fisher, Gasol, Vujacic and Odom. And so does Boozer (you can hear the man screaming all game long), Williams, and Kirilenko. That is one definition of flopping.

There is also the Vlade Divacs/Manu Ginobili version of flopping where no contact occurs and you throw yourself around like you were smacked across the face. This is the one that REALLY irritates me.

Flopping is annoying. I wonder if some of these calls are subtle payback for players flopping.

tooblue 05-15-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 221362)
no shock there.

To be perfectly honest as a basketball official I am prone to defend the refs and provide justification for calls made. However, last night they seemed to call the game like they had a vested interest in the outcome.

It was very frustrating to watch. It's not so much that the calls were bad but that a number of crucial calls were made by an official out of position who could not have clearly seen the play and should not have been blowing his whistle.

There was also the issue of consistency or rather a lack thereof. When making blocking or charging calls it's paramount that an official is absolutely consistent in all situations, at both ends of the floor. Good officials will not make many blocking and charging calls and should prefer to swallow their whistle in acknowledgement that basketball is a physical sport.

Last night the refs were erratic -one moment physical play was a blocking or offensive foul, the next it was just physical play. Such is the NBA.