cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ok, Obamaniacs (Cali).... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21211)

Cali Coug 07-26-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 247175)
The very nature of your questions lead me to believe that we have completely different views on the role of government. I believe the government derives its powers from the people. Thus, my answers to you questions will show you how useless your questions are in the context of a government that derives its powers from the people:

1. Yes, if the people give/delegate that right. No, if the people don't.
2. Yes, if the people give/delegate that right. No, if the people don't.
3. Yes, if the people give/delegate that right. No, if the people don't.

Thus, it's a perfectly logical and legitimate argument to say the government doesn't have the right to take substance from one and give to another if one believes the government has no rights except for what the people have granted.

I don't claim to know what set of assumptions and values you're operating under but my reading of your posts and the nature of your questions indicate that you somehow believe the government is an entity unto itself above the people - with rights and powers derived unto itself from itself that it can exercise at will.

My set of assumptions that I am operating under is that we can both agree the people have adopted the Constitution. I am not speaking theoretically with respect to the questions I asked. Right now, as things are today, what is the answer to the questions I asked? Venkman indicated the government did not have the right to take any of his money and give it to his neighbor. His statement wasn't theoretical, and neither was my response.

Cali Coug 07-26-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 247180)
Why can't we have our social safety net through our charities? why does it have to be through the government?

You and Mike's thought is if we don't have a government intervention no other way can we help those less fortunate than us. I don't believe this.

Sure, we can donate through charities. No, government "redistribution" isn't the only way. The point here is that it is a legitimate way and it is one way the people have elected to handle certain societal needs, leaving open other avenues for individual election as well.

Cali Coug 07-26-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colly Wolly (Post 247184)
Sounds like a flat tax would fix this inequality in contribution problem.

Setting aside the many reasons a flat tax is a bad idea, this doesn't remain at all consistent with the approach you took earlier (which is that the government can't use your money to help others). A flat tax still takes your money and gives it to others. Now I am confused as to what you are wanting.

Colly Wolly 07-26-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 247198)
Satan's plan isn't that everybody be saved. I can't believe you would even equate universal salvation with Satan's plan. Satan's plan is about the process for how people are saved. His plan was to require people to do what was right rather than granting them the choice. Christ's plan is in perfect harmony with the concept of universal salvation. He simply didn't require everyone to do what is right. Salvation through his plan comes through a combination of works and mercy. The plan you have articulated eliminates the need for mercy.

Nah. I said I'm not perfect. I know I'll need help. And I conceded I got a bit carried away with the whole plan thing. Are there consequences for actions or not? If I want to be Christlike and assist others with their bad situations, be they a result of specific choices or not, just let me choose to do that rather than forcing me. You said up top "His plan was to require people to do what was right rather than granting them the choice".

Cali Coug 07-26-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 247189)
the point is he doesn't think that government intervention is the best way. Why is it you, ddd and MW can't understand that?

That isn't what he has argued here. Re-read the posts. This debate didn't begin as to whether or not government intervention is the "best way," it began as to whether it is a legitimate way. Venkman explicitly said it isn't, and Colly appears to have agreed. You and BFM are arguing a separate topic.

Colly Wolly 07-26-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 247201)
Setting aside the many reasons a flat tax is a bad idea, this doesn't remain at all consistent with the approach you took earlier (which is that the government can't use your money to help others). A flat tax still takes your money and gives it to others. Now I am confused as to what you are wanting.

Didn't mean to communicate that the government can't use my money to help others. I think the gov't should use my money to promote the public good and protect our rights, not redistribute wealth.

Cali Coug 07-26-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colly Wolly (Post 247204)
Didn't mean to communicate that the government can't use my money to help others. I think the gov't should use my money to promote the public good and protect our rights, not redistribute wealth.

You still aren't being clear. Do you believe that the government CAN use your money as a "redistribution" of wealth? Set aside whether it SHOULD so we can be clear in our discussion.

Mormon Red Death 07-26-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 247203)
That isn't what he has argued here. Re-read the posts. This debate didn't begin as to whether or not government intervention is the "best way," it began as to whether it is a legitimate way. Venkman explicitly said it isn't, and Colly appears to have agreed. You and BFM are arguing a separate topic.

it may have not begun that way but ddd and MW pulled it in that direction with their comments

Colly Wolly 07-26-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 247205)
You still aren't being clear. Do you believe that the government CAN use your money as a "redistribution" of wealth? Set aside whether it SHOULD so we can be clear in our discussion.

? CAN I shoot you with a gun and kill you? Sure. Yes, the government CAN redistribute wealth. I want to focus on the SHOULD.

Cali Coug 07-26-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colly Wolly (Post 247207)
? CAN I shoot you with a gun and kill you? Sure. Yes, the government CAN redistribute wealth. I want to focus on the SHOULD.

That doesn't even make sense. We are clearly not talking about whether the government can illegally take your money (which you imply by suggesting that it is analogous to illegally killing me with a gun).

Does the government have the legal authority, given to it by the people, to redistribute wealth? Answer that and we can get to the SHOULD.