cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Top Ten Most Offensive Statements By LDS Church Leaders (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17027)

Archaea 02-23-2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 188373)
And those courses taught you to ignore statistics? I'm not sure what you're driving at here. Every poll I've ever seen shows that scientific education and religious belief are inversely correlated. If you'd like to show me polls that indicate otherwise I'll retract my comments. Otherwise you're just typing for the sake of response. When the vast majority here disagree with me, a generic response is probably sufficient to overcome the evidence, but I'd like to think a few of us actually pay attention to what is said beyond the peen swinging.

We're supposed to believe, you who has an agenda? You have no credibility in terms of honesty.

I don't believe sufficient data exists on "belief", but it would not surprise me that those with more education have less belief in organized religion than those with less. So we are supposed to believe you for summarizing, correlating and compiling all data on what scientists believe? Hmm. Thanks, no, I'll do my own research. And I'm not certain it's relevant any way.

pelagius 02-23-2008 06:35 PM

This is getting silly. Woot's original response to Chino was essentially correct. Woot did emphasize the most extreme survey of disbelief among scientist. Yes, NAS is an elite reseach society so I don't have a problem with him emphasizing that. Other surveys of research scientist at elite universities do not produce such extreme results. Typically surveys find that about 60% either "do not believe in God" or "or don't know if there is a God and there is no way to find out." So the NAS are an extreme sample. Some of this could be related to the survey question given to the NAS sample which I think defined a very active God: "a God in intellectual and affective communication with humankind." Clearly one could believe in God in a general sense and disagree with the preceding statement.

Second, there is a rather large difference between the beliefs of scientists in God and the general population. The percentage for the US general population hovers around 10% (disbelief).

Third, these surveys are a long way from empirically providing evidence of the secularizing effect of education on measures of both religious activity and belief. You need a much more careful empirical design to answer that question.

Finally, woot you do have a tendency to display "intellectual contempt" towards other board members. This may be entirely unintended but at these point in your cougarguard life people are starting to respond to this perception instead of your arguments. My suggestion is to start give your opponent's argument the most charitable possible reading instead of trying to attack their weakest link. You are essentially a non-believer on a "faithful" (despite its liberal leanings) board. As such you need to negotiate the board with a thick skin and a great deal charity towards the faithful or you will find yourself marginalized.

livecoug 02-23-2008 07:05 PM

Dang. The church isn't true. SU was right. :(

JohnnyLingo 02-23-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livecoug (Post 188436)
Dang. The church isn't true. SU was right. :(

No no, the Church just needs to listen to Adam and Waters to get back on track.

Their suggestions would save us all.

Solon 02-23-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 188439)
No no, the Church just needs to listen to Adam and Waters to get back on track.

Their suggestions would save us all.

It'd be a decent start.

woot 02-23-2008 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelagius (Post 188423)
This is getting silly. Woot's original response to Chino was essentially correct. Woot did emphasize the most extreme survey of disbelief among scientist. Yes, NAS is an elite reseach society so I don't have a problem with him emphasizing that. Other surveys of research scientist at elite universities do not produce such extreme results. Typically surveys find that about 60% either "do not believe in God" or "or don't know if there is a God and there is no way to find out." So the NAS are an extreme sample. Some of this could be related to the survey question given to the NAS sample which I think defined a very active God: "a God in intellectual and affective communication with humankind." Clearly one could believe in God in a general sense and disagree with the preceding statement.

Second, there is a rather large difference between the beliefs of scientists in God and the general population. The percentage for the US general population hovers around 10% (disbelief).

Third, these surveys are a long way from empirically providing evidence of the secularizing effect of education on measures of both religious activity and belief. You need a much more careful empirical design to answer that question.

Finally, woot you do have a tendency to display "intellectual contempt" towards other board members. This may be entirely unintended but at these point in your cougarguard life people are starting to respond to this perception instead of your arguments. My suggestion is to start give your opponent's argument the most charitable possible reading instead of trying to attack their weakest link. You are essentially a non-believer on a "faithful" (despite its liberal leanings) board. As such you need to negotiate the board with a thick skin and a great deal charity towards the faithful or you will find yourself marginalized.

That's a fair assessment and I appreciate the advice. I actually try to do what you recommended on a daily basis, but allowed myself to contribute to a type of thread that I generally try to stay away from, as these threads do tend to not go very well when I get involved.

Tex 02-24-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 188213)
Not me. The OT is just a good book, and an important relic. I don't look to any tribal ethos in deciding right from wrong. Cite the OT as justification for racism and any truly enlightened person will just write you off. I'm trying to help you here, Tex.

The mortal life of Jesus is not in the Old Testament.