cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Happy New Years (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5763)

Jeff Lebowski 01-03-2007 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 51396)
She is also a great bird dog, although an unsupervised one. Last month she got out of the fence and ran away....came home carrying a duck. (Where in the world did she find a duck??)

Our vizsla used to come home with dead pheasants all the time (we never tied him up - this was in a somewhat rural area). I wondered how he caught them so I followed him one day. He caught the scent and went into the classic pointing posture. He would very slowly inch forward and after about ten minutes he was right on top of it. When the bird finally took off he lept into the air and caught it in his mouth. Perhaps Goldie did the same thing.

We had another dog that was half wolf. We kept him chained up because he had a tendency to bite strangers. He got away once and came back with the head of a sheep. Oops. Another time he came back with a face full of porcupine quills. It was always an adventure.

MikeWaters 01-03-2007 03:06 AM

was the half-wolf a house dog at all?

I love dogs. I have two. German Shepherd and of course my avatar, a yellow lab.

Jeff Lebowski 01-03-2007 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 51410)
was the half-wolf a house dog at all?

Nope. Not by a long shot. He never really seemed to be fully tamed. We "inherited" him from a friend. He stayed chained up most of the time. You took your chances when you let him loose to play because he would often run away.

Occasionally a stray dog would come into our yard and wander into the reach of his chain. He would sneak up and then charge the dog without making a sound and then grab the other dog by the neck. We would have to pull him off or he would kill them. And of course, he would bark whenever anyone came into the yard. More of a watchdog than anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 51410)
I love dogs. I have two. German Shepherd and of course my avatar, a yellow lab.

Looks like a beautiful dog.

Surfah 01-03-2007 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 51412)
Nope. Not by a long shot. He never really seemed to be fully tamed. We "inherited" him from a friend. He stayed chained up most of the time. You took your chances when you let him loose to play because he would often run away.

Occasionally a stray dog would come into our yard and wander into the reach of his chain. He would sneak up and then charge the dog without making a sound and then grab the other dog by the neck. We would have to pull him off or he would kill them. And of course, he would bark whenever anyone came into the yard. More of a watchdog than anything.

Looks like a beautiful dog.

My brother-in-law just bred his vizsla. It's a gorgeous dog. I like to tease him though and call her a hound dog. He hates it.

BarbaraGordon 01-03-2007 03:28 AM

Does anyone else find it unamerican that we're discussing dogs in the "food" forum?

Mike, my son Michael really likes your dog. He says your dog and Goldie could be friends. (He's 7. These things make sense in his world.)

Surfah 01-03-2007 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 51423)
Does anyone else find it unamerican that we're discussing dogs in the "food" forum?

Mike, my son Michael really likes your dog. He says your dog and Goldie could be friends. (He's 7. These things make sense in his world.)

Not really. I am part Chinese and partial to Korean food.

BarbaraGordon 01-03-2007 03:35 AM

Right. I have that cookbook, I think. A hundred and one ways to wok a dog.

MikeWaters 01-03-2007 03:36 AM

Michael is right. My dog would like your dog.

The picture captures her personality perfectly.

creekster 01-03-2007 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 51412)

This perfectly describes a German SHepherd I had as a kid. He nearly killed more than a few wandering dogs in our area. He was always gentle with us but he was definitely not so nice to other people or dogs. We once were pulled over by police with this dog in the backseat, asleep. The cop walks up and apprently surprised our GS by tapping his fingers on the window whereupon "hell" was unleashed, figuratively speaking, against the window. The cop jumped about 5 feet up and back and, if there had been traffic, he would have been killed. He was a great dog.

il Padrino Ute 01-03-2007 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 51396)
I had always preferred tiny dogs, but Jason talked me into a Golden.

Goldie has turned out to be an excellent therapy dog for Thomas. I had heard that some dogs will naturally adapt to their owners' needs, but I didn't anticipate us being lucky enough to find one.

She is also a great bird dog, although an unsupervised one. Last month she got out of the fence and ran away....came home carrying a duck. (Where in the world did she find a duck??)

Tiny dogs are what one raises to feed real dogs.