cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Literae Humaniores (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Which is coolest? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10824)

creekster 08-13-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 112398)
All those votes for the last two choices make me want to pull an Outlier.

Then like Outlier you apparently think that everyone takes these things as seriously as you do.

Btw, how is your novel coming along?

SeattleUte 08-13-2007 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 112431)
Then like Outlier you apparently think that everyone takes these things as seriously as you do.

Btw, how is your novel coming along?

I rewrote it extensively and am having it edited. It's not really even the same story though it has similar themes. It's much shorter now. I'm having a professional editor look at it who is giving good feedback. I expect to start pitching it next month. Archea has seen an excerpt of the new work.

Solon 08-15-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 112141)
Some historians believe the Franks saved Europe from becoming an Islamic state. Charlemagne was certainly one of the most important people who ever lived. He was illiterate but threw his might and wealth behind propagating the copying and preserving of ancient texts later brought forth in the latter days, helping to restore enlighightenment. His grandfather Charles Martel's victory that turned the Muslims back at Tours has been called one of the 20 most important military victories in the history of the world.

Charles Martel was a bad-ass. I love his name: Charles the "Hammer." Stirrups helped his cavalry a good deal, I suppose. I think it's fair to say that the battle of Poitiers/Tours fought in 732 was one of the most important turning points in Western civilization. Although I wonder if an Islamic western Europe would have ushered in a time of erudition, learning, and culture like it did in Spain. It's a silly question, but 8th century (Spanish) Islam may have brought a little toleration to Catholic Europe.

BTW, great poll - I love the choices.

Detroitdad 08-15-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 112398)
All those votes for the last two choices make me want to pull an Outlier.

I agree. My impresssion of the board gayness quotient skyrocketed. Mongol horsemen drank the blood of their horses. That is cool.

creekster 08-15-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 113134)
I agree. My impresssion of the board gayness quotient skyrocketed. Mongol horsemen drank the blood of their horses. That is cool.

I understand the horses weren't too excited about it.

SeattleUte 08-15-2007 06:09 PM

Does the fact that Persian charioteers received 0 votes mean we've lost mindful? If so, it's a pity.

All-American 08-15-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 113179)
Does the fact that Persian charioteers received 0 votes mean we've lost mindful? If so, it's a pity.

Either that, or we no longer think that scattering when the Spartan Hoplites start hitting their shields with their spears is a mark of coolness.

Archaea 08-15-2007 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 113188)
Either that, or we no longer think that scattering when the Spartan Hoplites start hitting their shields with their spears is a mark of coolness.

I have to admit, 300 impacted me on anything Persian. How could cowards and fools be cool?

I voted for the Spartans. The Byzantine mailed soldiers? Come on, what a group of losers.

Mindfulcoug 08-16-2007 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 112141)
Some historians believe the Franks saved Europe from becoming an Islamic state. Charlemagne was certainly one of the most important people who ever lived. He was illiterate but threw his might and wealth behind propagating the copying and preserving of ancient texts later brought forth in the latter days, helping to restore enlighightenment. His grandfather Charles Martel's victory that turned the Muslims back at Tours has been called one of the 20 most important military victories in the history of the world.

well, mindful is mostly fascinated by this Charlemagne "a master of western europe by the sword and cross".
As is often the case, people considered great by historians are great killers as well.Throughout his conquests, Charlemagne was responsible for the death of masses of people who refused to accept Christianity, or their new king. Choosing to keep faith with their old gods and leaders, many thousands were slaughtered, which ironically paved the way for the later Ottonian Dynasty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 113179)

a single vote for persian charioteers in here could be considered bias.if i was into "referral" business thing ,i might have voted for persian charioteers two or three times though.

Mindfulcoug 08-16-2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 113189)
I have to admit, 300 impacted me on anything Persian. How could cowards and fools be cool?

I voted for the Spartans. The Byzantine mailed soldiers? Come on, what a group of losers.

i bet you did!
for someone who isnot "easily offended by mild nudity "and is "difficult to disgust him by violance", 300 is a very cool choice .