cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Do you feel guilty for never having fought in a war? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12076)

Indy Coug 09-24-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 126997)
Of course the rich have always been getting out of wars. Which essentially proves my point. Thanks for agreeing with me.

What about that recent study which showed that the highest quintile in household income actually had a proportionally higher representation in the armed forces?

MikeWaters 09-24-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 126998)
What about that recent study which showed that the highest quintile in household income actually had a proportionally higher representation in the armed forces?

The heritage foundation study that was released three days after a study that came to the opposite conclusion. The rebuttal to this study was that looking at zip codes can be very misleading. Because dorm rooms are full of young people with no income.

I think if you ask any person in the military, the idea that the enlisted ranks are teeming with middle class is ridiculous.

Indy Coug 09-24-2007 03:00 PM

Define "Middle Class".

BYU71 09-24-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 126999)
The heritage foundation study that was released three days after a study that came to the opposite conclusion. The rebuttal to this study was that looking at zip codes can be very misleading. Because dorm rooms are full of young people with no income.

I think if you ask any person in the military, the idea that the enlisted ranks are teeming with middle class is ridiculous.

C'mon Mike, argue the rich don't serve in the same proportion as the other classes. Maybe you can make that argument. To say the military is made up mainly by the poor shows your lack of cognitive skills unless of course the poor are any incomes below say $150,000 a year.

MikeWaters 09-24-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 127001)
Define "Middle Class".

I think there are a lot of definitions. In my mind, however, it is the sort of family with non-blue collar jobs (though I know that blue collars can sometimes make big $$$), where the kids are expected go to college, home owners, 2 cars, etc.

MikeWaters 09-24-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 127002)
C'mon Mike, argue the rich don't serve in the same proportion as the other classes. Maybe you can make that argument. To say the military is made up mainly by the poor shows your lack of cognitive skills unless of course the poor are any incomes below say $150,000 a year.

tell me about the kids among the children of your close personal friends and family that are enlisted in the military.

Indy Coug 09-24-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 127005)
I think there are a lot of definitions. In my mind, however, it is the sort of family with non-blue collar jobs (though I know that blue collars can sometimes make big $$$), where the kids are expected go to college, home owners, 2 cars, etc.

So you're really referring to upper middle class, right? At what percentile of household income does this subpopulation begin?

BYU71 09-24-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 127006)
tell me about the kids among the children of your close personal friends and family that are enlisted in the military.

I don't have any close personal friends who are in the middle class.

I also live in a Mormon community and associate with active mormons. There kids go on missions instead of serving in the military, even the poor ones.

BYU71 09-24-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 127006)

He doesn't know. It is a popular slogan and he can't back it up with figures or facts.

Clark Addison 09-24-2007 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 126994)
The Captain that perished in the suicide bombing in the mess tent, he was a freshman in ROTC with me.

Do you mean Captain Bill Jacobsen?