cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   My 25th Birthday! (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20925)

Surfah 07-15-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 242719)
I've never understood this type of feeling. Smacks of insecurity and impracticality.

Minivans are totally practical, and the new models are no longer oversized dustbusters but can be stylish in their own way.

The vehicle is ugly. It has tons of utility though and gets decent gas mileage. And the Mazda5 is really a wagon with sliding doors. It shares the platform and drivetrain with the Mazda3. I call it the nanovan. Hey that will fit on a license plate....

Levin 07-15-2008 09:02 PM

But the antagonism towards minivans is not simply b/c they're ugly . . . There's more going on there. Dare we speak it's name?

Surfah 07-15-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 242734)
But the antagonism towards minivans is not simply b/c they're ugly . . . There's more going on there. Dare we speak it's name?

Naw. No use getting panties in a bunch. I just bought what Gidget wanted.

Jeff Lebowski 07-15-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 242719)
I've never understood this type of feeling. Smacks of insecurity and impracticality.

Minivans are totally practical, and the new models are no longer oversized dustbusters but can be stylish in their own way.

What makes me chuckle is when someone sneers at minivans and then drives off in a Suburban, Expedition, or some other bloated pseudo-minivan with 4WD. As if the possibility of taking it offroad someday (most never will) somehow makes it sexy. Ha.

Levin 07-15-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 242740)
What makes me chuckle is when someone sneers at minivans and then drives off in a Suburban, Expedition, or some other bloated pseudo-minivan with 4WD. As if the possibility of taking it offroad someday (most never will) somehow makes it sexy. Ha.

It's about the group they want to belong to.

Aesthetically, where else with cars do we consider rectangles more sexy than curves?

TripletDaddy 07-15-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 242740)

I used to think minivans were not that great. until we had 3 kids at once.

Hail the mini-van!

Archaea 07-15-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 242674)
Good for you and congrats. I'm happy you like it (sincerely).

Now no offense, but I'm about to be 35, and I would spear any man's wiener who tried to buy me a mini van. :twisted:

I share an aversion for a minivan.

Now that SUVs are so passe, I'm at a loss.

I kinda like the SmartCars and I liked them years ago in France, hoping to get a franchise for America but failed.

RedHeadGal 07-15-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 242734)

I can't speak for everyone who doesn't like minivans, only myself. I don't particularly think they are ugly, but they do connote a certain kind of suburban soccer mom feel, and I don't relate to that group well, which is why I react. So you are right that it's not really about how they look. Similarly, I would NOT want a super vacuum or sewing machine or something like that for my birthday, but I have heard of such gifts being given and well-received. My point was overstated (hello?, this is an internet message board), but I did say I'm happy she got what she wants, and I mean that.

For the record, I drive approximately 1-2 times per week, so I don't think the hypocrisy charge will stick very well.

FarrahWaters 07-15-2008 09:22 PM

Happy birthday Gidget! I am extremely practical when it comes to my vehicle, and I am grateful for the automatic side door of my minivan.

RC Vikings 07-15-2008 09:26 PM

Mini Vans = I give up