cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Church responds to latest Big Love dust-up (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25590)

Archaea 03-09-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 301897)
They can't ignore it because they have this compulsion to control their members' very thoughts.

you're overplaying your board persona on this one.

They want to comment because they want to look powerful, but power in this instance would be in total restraint.

But then again those in the PR department are bored and need something to do. Afterall, you can only issue so many no comment letters about why somebody has been excommunicated for being photographed with his shirt off.

MikeWaters 03-09-2009 10:58 PM

I'm currently boycotting HBO anyway. Too expensive.

Archaea 03-09-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 301900)

Why would I buy a premium channel when I don't watch the regular channels?

Back in the day, when I did watch HBO, more than two decades ago, my main complaint was the continuous replay of the same shows. Does it still suffer from that problem?

I understand they now have their own original programming, with some sports stuff such as boxing matches, but what else does it offer?

MikeWaters 03-09-2009 11:21 PM

The only reason to have HBO is the original programming and the boxing.

So it made sense to have it when The Sopranos were on. Not anymore. Don't care enough about the boxing to fork out the dough. And the biggest fights are PPV and replayed a week later.

SeattleUte 03-09-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 301900)

I'm already boycotting HBO too. I haven't seen it for six or seven years. But I don't want to appear to support the LDS boycott. What shall I do?

Archaea 03-09-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 301905)
I'm already boycotting HBO too. I haven't seen it for six or seven years. But I don't want to appear to support the LDS boycott. What shall I do?

order the Playboy channel.

Cali Coug 03-10-2009 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 301895)
I don't disagree. But AA seemed underwhelmed and I'm curious why.

What is there to be excited about? The church essentially just issued a press release that said they aren't going to take a position on a boycott (but seemed to implicitly support its members attempts to boycott).

What is their goal with the press release?

Tell people they are aware of the problem? Why is this important for us to know?

Tell members they are free to boycott HBO? Do any members think they aren't free to boycott HBO for some reason?

Tell members they won't encourage a boycott? Why is this important for us to know?

Tell HBO not to film the episode? Isn't this exactly what HBO wants them to do to draw attention to the episode?

I don't understand the purpose of the press release. It takes multiple paragraphs to say nothing, and so they would have been better off actually saying nothing.

Tex 03-10-2009 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 301930)
What is there to be excited about? The church essentially just issued a press release that said they aren't going to take a position on a boycott (but seemed to implicitly support its members attempts to boycott).

What is their goal with the press release?

Tell people they are aware of the problem? Why is this important for us to know?

Tell members they are free to boycott HBO? Do any members think they aren't free to boycott HBO for some reason?

Tell members they won't encourage a boycott? Why is this important for us to know?

Tell HBO not to film the episode? Isn't this exactly what HBO wants them to do to draw attention to the episode?

I don't understand the purpose of the press release. It takes multiple paragraphs to say nothing, and so they would have been better off actually saying nothing.

Heh. Nice troll.

Cali Coug 03-10-2009 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 301940)
Heh. Nice troll.

Are you suggesting you know the answer? Enlighten us all then.

All-American 03-10-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 301895)
I don't disagree. But AA seemed underwhelmed and I'm curious why.

Not at all. I think it's a perfect response. If it's underwhelming, it was supposed to be.

If the church threw a fit, it would draw attention to the show. If it stayed silent, it would appear cowardly, or maybe ignorant. Here they simply say, "Yeah, we heard. Jerks. Oh well."