cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Another tragedy (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24214)

Archaea 11-02-2008 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 287910)
It's one of his riding partners. It really worries me that Arch hasn't posted an update. I hope everything's okay.

No everything is not okay. Two cervical vertebrae fractured, one lumber, numbness in the hand and other problems. It's awful, and it's a loser with no life who hit him.

BarbaraGordon 11-02-2008 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 287915)
No everything is not okay. Two cervical vertebrae fractured, one lumbar, numbness in the hand and other problems. It's awful, and it's a loser with no life who hit him.

I'm sorry, Arch. I hope he's able to make a full recovery.

Archaea 11-02-2008 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 287920)
I'm sorry, Arch. I hope he's able to make a full recovery.

Some how we need to convert our anger into more cycling awareness to make it safer on the roads and to impose stronger penalties against road range anger against us. We've had several other incidents of this rage out there, and a number of us are packing, legally I might add.

BarbaraGordon 11-02-2008 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 287925)
Some how we need to convert our anger into more cycling awareness to make it safer on the roads and to impose stronger penalties against road range anger against us. We've had several other incidents of this rage out there, and a number of us are packing, legally I might add.

Are you saying somebody deliberately mowed down your friend? Who would do that?

Archaea 11-02-2008 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 287930)

Some low life. He honked horn and then moved over to run two cyclists off the road. The cyclists were on the white line with no extra space.

RC Vikings 11-02-2008 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 287930)

It's amazing what people think they can get away with when it comes to cyclist. Honestly some of these people would never dream of deliberately running over a dog yet they will throw shit at cyclist, buzz them and even run them off the road. Arch I hope you friend has a fast recovery and please be careful while your riding.

BarbaraGordon 11-02-2008 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 288056)
It's amazing what people think they can get away with when it comes to cyclist. Honestly some of these people would never dream of deliberately running over a dog yet they will throw shit at cyclist, buzz them and even run them off the road. Arch I hope you friend has a fast recovery and please be careful while your riding.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised considering what they do when they have to stop for the wheelchair schoolbus.

I will never comprehend mean people. A complete mystery to me.

Archaea 11-02-2008 03:44 AM

Thank you all, just venting because it hurts me to learn of any cyclist being injured. It's worse when it's a friend or you, and compounded when you have to witness it.

The cruelty of humanity has been memorialized for longer than we know, yet it still confounds me. I'm glad there are mostly good people, who occasionally must deal with malicious people. Moving to the side to avoid a cyclist, or slowing down for a wheel chair is such a simple act. May some of these people have a change of heart. Lives being changed or lost is tragic, even if just one.

He will not have a speedy recovery but he is luckier than some. So thank you again. I would like to research some cycling advocacy groups to help slow the madness down.

Coach McGuirk 11-02-2008 03:55 AM

This is one of those things that just infuriates me and there is nothing to do to channel the rage. I joined the Provo chapter of Critical Mass and am attending the ride on the 7th this month in hopes of spreading awareness.

Sorry Arch, I wish him the best.

TripletDaddy 11-02-2008 04:10 AM

I am not a cyclist, so I ask honestly...are there really cases of road rage against cyclists? What causes it? What do cyclists do that get drivers so upset?

I have passed groups on the road several times. I live in an area that has a decent amount of undeveloped land (at least for South County), so the main roads are not highly trafficked. I cant tell you how many times I have seen a group ride by....about 50 or so strong. I always think it looks cool because there are so many of them.

I just drive by them and go about my business.

Why do these other cars try to hit the riders?