cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Finally picked up a copy of Under The Banner of Heaven in the SLC airport (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19915)

MikeWaters 07-22-2011 01:44 AM

When I looked at all the able-bodied homeless in Seattle, begging for money, it occurred to me that if one of them wanted to wander into the woods to starve to death of his own accord, I probably ought not wring my hands over many months and years. People do stupid things all the time. It's just that people like Krakauer get to inject faux romanticism into the thing to make it seem important. It's not. It's stupidity.

Krakauer's book is so bad that it even embarrasses Anti-Mormons.

Levin 07-22-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 314168)
When I looked at all the able-bodied homeless in Seattle, begging for money, it occurred to me that if one of them wanted to wander into the woods to starve to death of his own accord, I probably ought not wring my hands over many months and years. People do stupid things all the time. It's just that people like Krakauer get to inject faux romanticism into the thing to make it seem important. It's not. It's stupidity.

Krakauer's book is so bad that it even embarrasses Anti-Mormons.

This is pretty stupid, speaking of stupidity.

People wander into the woods for all sorts of reasons, and those reasons vary widely. It is actually interesting and heartbreaking why some people do it. Sometimes it's also inspiring.

He didn't intend on starving to death.

Your bias is making you stupid.

Archaea 07-22-2011 08:11 PM

I watched "Into Thin Air", but after reading the climber criticisms discovered how biased and bad Krackhead is. Yes I plodded through his dull prose.

In the Wild or however it's called was romanticism of a dumb event.

Under the Banner of Heaven was even worse.

People like Krackhead give journalism a bad name, if it could be even worse.

MikeWaters 07-23-2011 06:50 AM

The kids who drowned at the falls in Yosemite did not intend to be in the river or go over the falls or die.

But they did.

It's tragic.

But it's also stupid.

Going into the wilderness ill prepared to survive is stupid as well. If you intend to live. Also dumb waiting too long to try and leave.

It's heartbreaking in a way, the note on the bus saying that he is gone to pick berries, please don't leave, and he is literally skin and bones in a sleeping bag. But there is so much more worthy heartbreak in this world, that we truly cannot begin to comprehend it.

Children dying, spouses dying, governments murdering people for merely being honest, etc, etc.