cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   My son came home from school wearing... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14677)

UtahDan 12-05-2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 159694)
You were in town and you didn't drop in? How rude! ;)

We got married in a fever....hotter than a pepper sprout........

Clark Addison 12-05-2007 08:17 PM

I would likely do nothing, because I am non-confrontational by nature, but I wouldn't have a problem with you taking Utah Dan's approach.

It is incredible that a teacher would think this is appropriate. A pass-along card, sure, I can see that. But I draw the line at a cross.

YOhio 12-05-2007 08:19 PM

I can't believe they gave your son a necklace. Are they trying to make him gay or Italian?

marsupial 12-05-2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 159722)
I can't believe they gave your son a necklace. Are they trying to make him gay or Italian?

Gay, for sure. It was a green plastic cross attached to a red ribbon.

marsupial 12-06-2007 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 159837)
Wasn't that Jackson Tennessee Cash was singing about?

I always thought he was singing about the Jackson in Tennessee too.

UtahDan 12-06-2007 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 159842)
I always thought he was singing about the Jackson in Tennessee too.

Was it? I always assumed Mississippi.

hyrum 12-06-2007 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 159863)
Was it? I always assumed Mississippi.

Mississippi, Tennessee, what's the difference? ;)

SoonerCoug 12-06-2007 03:09 AM

I'd be really ticked if a teacher had my kid make or wear a cross in school. That's screwed up.

I was shocked when I moved to Oklahoma and saw that the tallest buildings leave their lights on at night in the form of a cross--including the Chase building (tallest in OKC).

My wife wears a Russian Orthodox cross once in awhile--even at Church sometimes. That takes guts. Still haven't decided what I think about that, but it doesn't really bother me.

I'd be equally ticked if a teacher pushed Mormonish things on students. (Remember how I used to bitch and moan on here about how our high school seminary principal was always in the high school building hanging out with teachers, and how he came into the high school to withdraw my brother from student body elections since my bro was on seminary council? Seminary teachers shouldn't set foot in a high school building unless they have a darn good reason--like handling something for their kid who is in school or going to parent/teacher conference.)

danimal 12-06-2007 04:42 AM

The South is an unusual place when it comes to religion. It is generally assumed that you are Christian, most likely Evangelical, and many seem to take pride in not allowing schools or governments or anything to interfere in their religious displays. I now know what it's like to be the non-member living in Provo.

I would be just as bugged if Books of Mormon were being given out. I'd prefer it if they stuck to learning how to read right now.

Lebowski, next time you're in town, drop by and say hi. We'll give you a cross as something to remember our lovely town by.