cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home Improvement and Real Estate (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   I am decorating-challenged (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19390)

hyrum 05-14-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 220919)
Third vote for dark.

I'll be a contrarian and suggest a light tan/sand color that matches the lighter colors in the granite soley because its a small room, and dark colors would make it seem smaller.

FMCoug 05-14-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyrum (Post 220958)
I'll be a contrarian and suggest a light tan/sand color that matches the lighter colors in the granite soley because its a small room, and dark colors would make it seem smaller.

I had that thought as well. But I think it may look too washed out. The other thing to consider is small children. Farrah would be constantly cleaning fingerprints, etc. off light colored cabinets.

hyrum 05-14-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 220963)
I had that thought as well. But I think it may look too washed out. The other thing to consider is small children. Farrah would be constantly cleaning fingerprints, etc. off light colored cabinets.

Well I didn't say white. Maybe its better for health reasons to see those fingerprints ;)

marsupial 05-14-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyrum (Post 220958)

As I remember the bathroom in question, it seems like there is no window so lighter colors might brighten the room as oppose to darken it.

bYuPride 05-14-2008 06:58 PM

I'm no Hyrum, but I would suggest a dark cherry. I've seen that color scheme before with you granite top, travertine flooring and the cherry wood looked really nice.

MikeWaters 05-14-2008 07:01 PM

We got our travertine for 1.99 /sqft. Did we get ripped off?

creekster 05-14-2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 221077)

We're talking asthetics and all you can focus on is the price? I see your rpoblem, Farrah.

Go with dark. If you are staining wood, I would use Cherry or Mahogany. Get a couple of stains and try it on some small areas inside the cabinet or on test wood to see what looks best with tile, etc. This is a lot like music, in that colors have 'overtones' that make some go better than others, menaing nothing can compare to trying it out first.

FMCoug 05-14-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 221077)

I think that's a good price for Travertine. FYI, you now have higher end flooring in your house than I have in mine. We didn't want to spring for Travertine. ;)

MikeWaters 05-14-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 221099)
I think that's a good price for Travertine. FYI, you now have higher end flooring in your house than I have in mine. We didn't want to spring for Travertine. ;)

but our bathroom is as big as your shower.

I recently took a shower at our friends' home ($1.7mill in plano). Their shower could have fit 10 people in it.

But there was only one showerhead.

RedHeadGal 05-14-2008 08:18 PM

there's a wide variety of quality in travertine, or so I was told when I bought it for more than that.

Farrah, don't go dark. Cherry, especially, IMHO, is starting to feel dated. What kind of wood is it? Pine? Maple? Something warm but light would be good. Look at a kitchen and bath design magazine at Home Depot or wherever.

I'm feeling particularly decorative today, as I have a new (and first) avatar.