cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   With the help of Krakauer (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14789)

SeattleUte 12-09-2007 10:27 PM

I love this:

“J.F.K.’s speech was to reassure Americans that he wasn’t a religious fanatic,” Mr. Krakauer agreed. “Mitt’s was to tell evangelical Christians, ‘I’m a religious fanatic just like you.’”

Hee hee. Brilliant.

MikeWaters 12-09-2007 10:32 PM

Has there ever been a more ignorant self-proclaimed expert on Mormons than Krakauer? I'm lumping in every one who has ever lived in there.

Going to K. to understand Mormonism would be like the Seahawks hiring SU as their general manager.

il Padrino Ute 12-09-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 161193)
Has there ever been a more ignorant self-proclaimed expert on Mormons than Krakauer? I'm lumping in every one who has ever lived in there.

Going to K. to understand Mormonism would be like the Seahawks hiring SU as their general manager.

I agree. Krakauer is a Mormon ignoramus. Though I would say that Krakauer being an expert about Mormons is more like exUte being asked to explain why God cares about BYU football.

SeattleUte 12-09-2007 10:51 PM

Krakauer has written a book on Mormonism issued by a major publisher. He has the credential the world recoginizes for expertise.

il Padrino Ute 12-09-2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 161205)
Krakauer has written a book on Mormonism issued by a major publisher. He has the credential the world recoginizes for expertise.

You are intentionally ignoring that opinion and fact are two different things.

woot 12-09-2007 10:56 PM

So who would you guys recommend? It seems that even Bushman tends to put a positive spin on things. I haven't read Krakauer's book and have no intention of doing so, but it's probably safe to assume that he puts a negative spin on things. I don't think it's possible to find an authoritative and unbiased treatment of something like this.

MikeWaters 12-09-2007 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 161205)

actually what he has is the viewpoint that certain elites crave.

as much as you hate Mormonism, you couldn't get it wrong like Krakauer.

SeattleUte 12-09-2007 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 161211)
So who would you guys recommend? It seems that even Bushman tends to put a positive spin on things. I haven't read Krakauer's book and have no intention of doing so, but it's probably safe to assume that he puts a negative spin on things. I don't think it's possible to find an authoritative and unbiased treatment of something like this.

I've seen some here calling Bushman an apostate.

il Padrino Ute 12-09-2007 11:04 PM

Quote:

It's not so much that Krakauer puts a negative spin, but that he tries to pass off his opinion as fact.

MikeWaters 12-09-2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

it's not so much that he puts a negative spin on things (which he does) , but it's that he fundamentally misunderstands Mormons and Mormonism.

He has done the intellectual equivalent of SU's favorite trick--read only the review and claim to have read the book. And hope no one notices.