cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Awful no-call at the end of the Spurs game. (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19735)

Indy Coug 05-28-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 225858)
I can't stand the Spurs or the Lakers, but how do you not call that?

I don't think it is a 3 shot foul, though. I think the foul was before the act of shooting, so it should have been a 2 shot foul. Still, that was pretty bad.

I laughed and laughed and laughed when that happened because I knew it would make JazzNation blow a gasket.

I also hate the Spurs, so that had comical value too. So much for that home court advantage.

cougjunkie 05-28-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 225940)
The worst call in basketball is the call where a player fakes the shot, the defender jumps straight up, the shooter leans into him, draws contact, and shoots. THIS IS NOT A FOUL. A defender is allowed to jump straight up and the player who initiates contact should be called for a foul.

I like the call last night.

Defender jumps in, shooter leans in, no foul.
Defender jumps straight up, shooter leans in, charge.
Defender jumps in, shooter jumps straight up, defender's jump creates contact, foul on defender.

I dont really care about the call, the Spurs didnt play well enough to win, but Barry did not jump in to him. Barry actually was trying to avoid him. There was definitely contact and it was not initiated in any way by Barry. If Barry would have jumped in to him he would have gotten the call.

Surfah 05-28-2008 04:51 PM

I really don't think they should have blown the whistle. Was there contact and a foul? Yes. You can call it a makeup call for the previous possession when Fisher's shot hit the rim and should have reset the shot clock but didn't. That would have forced the Spurs to foul Bryant to stop the clock and put him on the line to ice the game.

Cali Coug 05-28-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 225956)
I dont really care about the call, the Spurs didnt play well enough to win, but Barry did not jump in to him. Barry actually was trying to avoid him. There was definitely contact and it was not initiated in any way by Barry. If Barry would have jumped in to him he would have gotten the call.

Yeah, that is the bad part for Barry. If he had gone up with the shot when fouled, the ref would have had to call a foul and given him 3 shots. Instead, Barry tried to dribble around him and wound up getting nothing for it. Odd result.

Cali Coug 05-28-2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 225967)
I really don't think they should have blown the whistle. Was there contact and a foul? Yes. You can call it a makeup call for the previous possession when Fisher's shot hit the rim and should have reset the shot clock but didn't. That would have forced the Spurs to foul Bryant to stop the clock and put him on the line to ice the game.

It certainly wasn't clear to me that the shot hit the rim on the previous possession. I didn't think it did, but maybe there is video showing otherwise.

cambo 05-28-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 225940)
The worst call in basketball is the call where a player fakes the shot, the defender jumps straight up, the shooter leans into him, draws contact, and shoots. THIS IS NOT A FOUL. A defender is allowed to jump straight up and the player who initiates contact should be called for a foul.

I like the call last night.

Defender jumps in, shooter leans in, no foul.
Defender jumps straight up, shooter leans in, charge.
Defender jumps in, shooter jumps straight up, defender's jump creates contact, foul on defender.

Barry didn't lean into Fisher though. He stopped all motion and Fisher landed on his shoulder. That was a foul.

SipiTau 05-28-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 225946)
I laughed and laughed and laughed when that happened because I knew it would make JazzNation blow a gasket.

I also hate the Spurs, so that had comical value too. So much for that home court advantage.

It's a no win situation for Jazz fan; who do you root against? The team that has owned you (Spurs) or the team that is about to take over the WC?

MikeWaters 05-28-2008 06:58 PM

The NBA is a joke. Even Jackson said this at the end of the first half. The refs manage the game, keep it close, give the win to the team that will get higher ratings in the next round.

Personally, I think it is unwatchable.

Dale Hansen, here on local radio, said that if the Mavs have to look like the Pistons, to win a championship, he'd rather not win a championship. I agree.

It's boring. 100 free throws a game. Questionable calls all over the place, etc.

il Padrino Ute 05-28-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SipiTau (Post 226017)
It's a no win situation for Jazz fan; who do you root against? The team that has owned you (Spurs) or the team that is about to take over the WC?

You have to think outside the box:

It's not about who to root against. It's about the fact that the playoffs ended when the Jazz were eliminated.

SteelBlue 05-29-2008 04:15 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ory?id=3416412

Quote:

The league office on Wednesday reviewed the final play of the San Antonio Spurs' 93-91 home loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 4 of the Western Conference finals and acknowledged that a two-shot foul should have been called on Derek Fisher for impeding Brent Barry.