cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23799)

Surfah 10-20-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 281694)
Amen to that.

x2.

Didn't know there was another way. You can tell who grew up poor or not.

ERCougar 10-20-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 281771)
That sounds disgusting.

And by disgusting, I mean absolutely, must-try-ASAP delicious!

Where do you get jalapeno jelly?

Is it that hard to find? It seems like I've seen it at most grocery stores.

cougjunkie 10-20-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 281862)
x2.

Didn't know there was another way. You can tell who grew up poor or not.

Exactly, in fact I would toast my bread, put some butter on it, put the cheese in the middle and microwave it for 30 seconds.

A frying pan for a grilled cheese? Are you kidding me?

landpoke 10-20-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 281938)
Exactly, in fact I would toast my bread, put some butter on it, put the cheese in the middle and microwave it for 30 seconds.

A frying pan for a grilled cheese? Are you kidding me?

Whoa nelly, what you are proposing isn't even in the same realm of taste as a pan fried sammich.

As an aside, we always referred to them as toasted cheese sammiches in our house.

Surfah 10-20-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 281963)
Whoa nelly, what you are proposing isn't even in the same realm of taste as a pan fried sammich.

As an aside, we always referred to them as toasted cheese sandwiches in our house.

Shouldn't that be toasted cheese sammiches?

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 281963)

As an aside, we always referred to them as toasted cheese sandwiches in our house.

interesting that of all the incarnations of grilled cheese sandwich (toaster, frying pan, microwave) none of them involve cooking the sandwich on a grill.

landpoke 10-20-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 281966)
interesting that of all the incarnations of grilled cheese sandwich (toaster, frying pan, microwave) none of them involve cooking the sandwich on a grill.

My passionate argument that toasted is the more appropriate label rather than grilled is what won my wife's heart for me. She still says grilled, but mostly out of habit.

And Surfah's right, sammiches it is.

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 281970)
My passionate argument that toasted is the more appropriate label rather than grilled is what won my wife's heart for me. She still says grilled, but mostly out of habit.

And Surfah's right, sammiches it is.

your wife is up in the night. if something is cooked in a pan, it is not toasted.

You would be correct to call them fried cheese sammiches. Or seared cheese sammiches.

I think we can both agree that "grilled" is not the correct term of art.

landpoke 10-20-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 281976)
your wife is up in the night. if something is cooked in a pan, it is not toasted.

You would be correct to call them fried cheese sammiches. Or seared cheese sammiches.

I think we can both agree that "grilled" is not the correct term of art.

Listen dude, I used a dictionary and everything. The bread, by whatever method, reaches a state of toastyness and is thus toasted.

Agreed, grilled is wrong.

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 281979)
Listen dude, I used a dictionary and everything. The bread, by whatever method, reaches a state of toastyness and is thus toasted.

Agreed, grilled is wrong.

Perhaps we should just keep it simple and call them Maillard convection cheese sammiches.