cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Sushi places in Utah (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13582)

Mrs. Funk 11-06-2007 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 146515)
No, it is the same people. I suspect that they are just trying to squeeze out more profit. Personally, I would rather they raised the prices and maintained the quality.

Well, yeah, sushi's going to be pricey no matter what. If people wanted to fill up for cheap, that's why Carl's Jr. is down the street. *shudder* I'd rather have good sushi where they don't cut corners.

Jeff Lebowski 11-06-2007 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 146502)
What in general is good to order? I tried some of the regular rolls at Sushi-Ya and I was very impressed with the spicy tuna roll. I thought the tuna portions were fairly generous.

All of the specialty rolls used to be good. We liked the Jason roll (hand roll).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 146502)
Sushi Express is excellent. It's a total dive looking place in a strip mall by a gas station. The fish is fresh and the prices are reasonable (no all-you-can-eat, though). I enjoyed the staff, too, which was mostly Japanese as far as I can tell. The original sushi chef is classically trained.

Thanks for the tip. I think I have heard of this before. The reviews are all good:

http://utah.citysearch.com/profile/1...i_express.html

Jeff Lebowski 11-06-2007 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 146518)
Well, yeah, sushi's going to be pricey no matter what. If people wanted to fill up for cheap, that's why Carl's Jr. is down the street. *shudder* I'd rather have good sushi where they don't cut corners.

Amen, Sister.

Mrs. Funk 11-06-2007 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 146519)
Thanks for the tip. I think I have heard of this before. The reviews are all good:]

I really like their rose roll and spider roll; I think I had their tornado roll last time I was there. Pretty much everything I've tried has been good. It's always jam-packed full of Japanese people, so that might be a bit of a testament to its merits.

il Padrino Ute 11-06-2007 03:59 AM

I've never eaten sushi. If I have, I'm not aware of having done so.

What would you sushi eaters recommend for someone like me who believes that raw fish is to be used only for bait?

Mrs. Funk 11-06-2007 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 146528)

What would you sushi eaters recommend for someone like me who believes that raw fish is to be used only for bait?

Tempura rolls aren't a bad way to start. The fish has been fried, so it's cooked and crunchy but still has lots of flavor. For the truly unadventurous, there is always the California roll that has imitation crab in it... not even real fish. ;)

il Padrino Ute 11-06-2007 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk (Post 146529)
Tempura rolls aren't a bad way to start. The fish has been fried, so it's cooked and crunchy but still has lots of flavor. For the truly unadventurous, there is always the California roll that has imitation crab in it... not even real fish. ;)

I've had imitation crab. I much prefer real crab.

I'll have to try your suggestion sometime. I love fish, if it's cooked. Bait, on the other hand....

TripletDaddy 11-06-2007 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 146528)

I always get a kick out of people that love sushi and then start ordering rolls. A california roll! A dragon roll! a spicy tuna roll!

Sushi in a landlocked area....yum.

Surfah 11-06-2007 06:41 AM

Ichiban, Takashi, and Ginza in Salt Lake are all good. I hate Happy Sumo. To me it's an overpriced Demae.

RockyBalboa 11-06-2007 06:48 AM

It all tastes like shit.