cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Tavernari... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14821)

MikeWaters 12-10-2007 04:59 PM

Sometimes I feel like there are guys who feel they have the green light at any time, and guys who feel like they don't have the green light.

Green lighters: Plaisted, JT, and Cummard

Don't have green light: everyone else, but specifically Murdock, Burgess, and Collinsworth.

If I were a guard for BYU, I would be practicing one shot in particular. Fake pass into the post, to get the man guarding to fall back, then 3-pointer.

Surfah 12-10-2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 161446)
Sometimes I feel like there are guys who feel they have the green light at any time, and guys who feel like they don't have the green light.

Green lighters: Plaisted, JT, and Cummard

Don't have green light: everyone else, but specifically Murdock, Burgess, and Collinsworth.

If I were a guard for BYU, I would be practicing one shot in particular. Fake pass into the post, to get the man guarding to fall back, then 3-pointer.

Murdock could have shot all day if he wanted to. He had hardly any pressure on him. It'd piss me off if I were a 6' guard and nobody would respect my shot. It pisses me off when nobody guards me on the perimeter in pick up games. Disrespect my shot and I'll make it rain.

jay santos 12-10-2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 161443)
Majerus was a lot more likely to bench a player for screwing up on the defensive end than he was on the offensive end. For all the criticism you give about Majerus on the offensive end, he had some pretty amazing offensive players. Keith Van Horn, Andre Miller, Michael Doleac, Hanno Mottola, etc.

Majerus only destroyed the confidence of players who were wussies.

He had some amazingly bad offenses with some amazingly good offensive players. Maybe Rose should scream at JT and tell him not to shoot and we could pass the ball around the perimeter and let Murdock dribble the shot clock out.

il Padrino Ute 12-10-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 161437)
Utes act like Majerus is God for having the guts to bench players when they make mistakes....

Wow. I'm guessing you still harbor bitter feelings about Majerus making your BYU teams look like Jr. Jazz teams.

jay santos 12-10-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 161447)
Murdock could have shot all day if he wanted to. He had hardly any pressure on him. It'd piss me off if I were a 6' guard and nobody would respect my shot. It pisses me off when nobody guards me on the perimeter in pick up games. Disrespect my shot and I'll make it rain.

Murdock was 1/6 from three. Most he's ever shot in a game.

jay santos 12-10-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 161450)
Wow. I'm guessing you still harbor bitter feelings about Majerus making your BYU teams look like Jr. Jazz teams.

I only remember Reid having a winning record against him, and then later in his career when he was afraid to come to Provo. I don't remember the late 90's. :)

il Padrino Ute 12-10-2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 161452)
I only remember Reid having a winning record against him, and then later in his career when he was afraid to come to Provo. I don't remember the late 90's. :)

Nice, lol!

Reid was so good at X and Os that when he was fired, Majerus had him come up to his practices to do some teaching.

Surfah 12-10-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 161451)
Murdock was 1/6 from three. Most he's ever shot in a game.

True, but if I remember most of those were coming off picks and curls. The guards would sag off him like he were a threat to drive most of the game giving him a free open look. In fact it seemed like he'd pump fake and then pass it around. I don't know.

MikeWaters 12-10-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 161456)
True, but if I remember most of those were coming off picks and curls. The guards would sag off him like he were a threat to drive most of the game giving him a free open look. In fact it seemed like he'd pump fake and then pass it around. I don't know.

Murdock is at his best when facing full court pressure, like against Louisville. When Murdock is in the half-court set facing a slow-down grind it out team like Michigan State, he is a liability.

mpfunk 12-10-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 161449)
He had some amazingly bad offenses with some amazingly good offensive players. Maybe Rose should scream at JT and tell him not to shoot and we could pass the ball around the perimeter and let Murdock dribble the shot clock out.

You would kill for Rose to even have a fraction of the success that Majerus had. At the end of this year when Rose loses in the second round of the NCAA tournament, just remember that a second round exit from the NCAA tournament was an average year for Majerus.