cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Top 10 romance movies (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16828)

TripletDaddy 02-14-2008 06:47 PM

Leaving Las Vegas was romantic? Which part? the scene where Elisabeth Shue gets raped and beaten or the one where Nicholas Cage burns all his stuff in his backyard?

tooblue 02-14-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 185245)
Why do people think that pride and prejudice is about love? She doesn't find D'Arcy marriage worhty until she finally goes to his mansion and grasps just how wealthy he is. Suddenly he is her kind of guy. Romance indeed.

I don't disagree that she is undeserving of him. But she had already come to the conclusion that she loved him before seeing his digs ... seeing the digs only served to seal the deal.

creekster 02-14-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 185274)
I don't disagree that she is undeserving of him. But he had already come to the conclusion that she loved him before seeing his digs ... seeing the digs only served to seal the deal.

Yea, it sealed the deal all right. SHe was willing to have feelings for him but to leave him without further contact unbtil she sees the house, and what a house it is! Wait, maybe she has been too hasty!

I don't disagree with your putting it on the list, becasue women love the story, but it has always bothered me.

tooblue 02-14-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 185275)
Yea, it sealed the deal all right. SHe was willing to have feelings for him but to leave him without further contact unbtil she sees the house, and what a house it is! Wait, maybe she has been too hasty!

I don't disagree with your putting it on the list, becasue women love the story, but it has always bothered me.

Hey, my wife married me in part for my Volkswagon beattle -her dream car!

creekster 02-14-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 185278)
Hey, my wife married me in part for my Volkswagon beattle -her dream car!

That shows your wife had modest expectations (a beatle is a dream car? this is a humble woman) which is a very positive trait. Lizzie (wasn't her name lizzie?) pretends to be true to her feelings and love, blah, blah blah, but finds D'Arcy's house to be Ab Fab and succumbs to the allure of wealth. That is not romantic, to me.

RC Vikings 02-14-2008 07:06 PM

10.Forrest Hump9.Pulp Friction8.Romancing the Bone7.Snow White and the Seven Sailors6.Saving Ryan's Privates5.Buffy the Vampire Layer4.Teenage Mutant Ninja Dildoes3.Rambone2.Monty's Python and the Holey Girl1.E-Three: The Extra Testicle

pelagius 02-14-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 185275)

Denigrade Elizabeth Bennett all you want, but if you say one bad thing about Catherine Morland then there will be hell to pay.

MikeWaters 02-14-2008 07:40 PM

High Fidelity has to be on the list.

jay santos 02-14-2008 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 185271)
Leaving Las Vegas was romantic? Which part? the scene where Elisabeth Shue gets raped and beaten or the one where Nicholas Cage burns all his stuff in his backyard?

Seriously, Leaving Las Vegas maybe should have been #1 on my list. When she gives him the flask as a present, that is one of the most powerful moments in any movie I've seen.

BigFatMeanie 02-14-2008 08:02 PM

Why in the hell is "16 Candles" not on anyone's list?