cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Best Classic Rock song (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17699)

Indy Coug 03-14-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 198341)
Neil Young Cinnamon Girl is towards the top of my list for Classic Rock songs.

Have Neil Young and Bob Dylan ever done a duet together? If so, did anyone live to tell the tale?

SeattleUte 03-14-2008 07:30 PM

Neil Young's songs are often better if someone else sings them. Example: Lotta Love. I used to like the After the Gold Rush and Harvest albums. He's certainly written a lot of terrible stuff.

SeattleUte 03-14-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 198346)
Neil Young's songs are often better if someone else sings them. Example: Lotta Love. I used to like the After the Gold Rush and Harvest albums. He's certainly written a lot of terrible stuff.

Ditto Dylan.

SoCalCoug 03-14-2008 07:33 PM

My list (in no particular order):

Freebird - Lynrd Skynrd
Paint It, Black - Rolling Stones
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - George Harrison (I love the video where Prince did the guitar solo)

I'm sure there's a bunch more as I think about it, but that's the list the comes to mind right now.

Indy Coug 03-14-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug (Post 198351)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps - George Harrison

I saw Peter Frampton do a fantastic version of this in concert a few years ago. Awesome song.

RC Vikings 03-14-2008 07:45 PM

Get "Neil Young live at Massey Hall". This was recorded before Harvest came out. After some unneeded talking "Old Man" is a thing of beauty on this album. His voice is much better then it was later on.

His bad period was the rock-a-billy era and his Trans era. I went to a concert in Seattle and the first half he did it acoustic which was great. The second half was rock-a-billy and after standing around for a song or two with that WTF look on their face people started leaving.

For old rock songs I love Grand Funk Railroads "Closer to Home".

RC Vikings 03-14-2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 198348)
Ditto Dylan.

Ditto Tom Waits. Listen to Rod Stewart's "Downtown Train" and then Waits original. Now that I think about it I like Waits better.

Venkman 03-14-2008 08:13 PM

More than a Feeling is a great song, although my fave Boston song is Don't Look Back.

A few of mine (some have been mentioned previously):

Black Dog, Stairway - Zeppelin
Purple Haze - Hendrix
Honky Tonk Women - Stones
Free Bird - Skynyrd
Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Baba O'Reily - The Who

myboynoah 03-14-2008 08:20 PM

"I'm All Out of Love" - Air Supply

SeattleUte 03-14-2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 198375)
"I'm All Out of Love" - Air Supply

Don't lie. Your favorite is Fogelberg.