cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The disproportionate tax burden (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20775)

Tex 07-09-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 239873)
This is really simple. Income disparity is increasing. The rich are getting so much richer then everyone else that the share of tax they pay is proportionally going up.

This is not a good thing for America.

I don't believe it.

What it does illustrate, however, is that one reason the bottom 50% don't get a lot of tax relief is because they aren't paying any to begin with. This is why we disguise welfare in the form of "tax credits" these days (EITC).

MikeWaters 07-09-2008 04:02 PM

Millionaire farmers getting rich off of farm subsidies.

I'm supposed to cry over them paying taxes?

Indy Coug 07-09-2008 04:03 PM

Unfortunately, most of the poor are poor because of the sum of their life choices. Taxing the bejeezus out of the rich isn't going to alter that.

MikeWaters 07-09-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 239885)
Unfortunately, most of the poor are poor because of the sum of their life choices. Taxing the bejeezus out of the rich isn't going to alter that.

Like me and my family?

il Padrino Ute 07-09-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 239885)

Amen, brother.

Indy Coug 07-09-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 239887)
Like me and my family?

You and your family are poor? I guess we'd better define "poor". Poor aren't entry level workers who just graduated from college and whose profession has a salary range upper end of several hundred thousand dollars a year.

MikeWaters 07-09-2008 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 239889)
You and your family are poor? I guess we'd better define "poor".

No, I'm not poor.

But I was relatively low on the totem pole growing up.

My father took his first job after graduate school, in the 20k range. High 20k I think. Then he lost his job when the economy turned south in Texas during the oil bust.

What were the wrong choices he made?

I never went hungry so I wasn't truly poor.

Indy Coug 07-09-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 239891)
No, I'm not poor.

My father took his first job after graduate school, in the 20k range. High 20k I think. Then he lost his job when the economy turned south in Texas during the oil bust.

Well, I didn't say "all", so I'm not going to respond to every counterexample you want to conjure up.

My wife for a time was truly poor and it was because of some of the choices her dad made.

MikeWaters 07-09-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 239892)
Well, I didn't say "all", so I'm not going to respond to every counterexample you want to conjure up.

My wife for a time was truly poor and it was because of some of the choices her dad made.

I "conjured" up my own life experience?

Tex 07-09-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 239891)
No, I'm not poor.

I don't know how old your father is, but depending on the time frame, 20k is a very respectable salary.