cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I made an excellent curry rice (kare raisu) Sunday (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20951)

myboynoah 07-16-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 242891)
you can buy curry blocks at a number of places in the Asian section. The basic principle is that the curry block mixes with hot water to form the sauce.

Brown chicken pieces. Toss in some water. Add carrots first (take longest to cook). Then potato cubes/pieces and onions. Add curry cube/blocks. Done.

Dish over sticky white rice.

You and Jay use chicken? I don't get that. Pork, even beef, is so much better.

As noted I cook the meat and the onions and garlic first (the aroma get's the family in the curry mood). Then water with some of the block/paste along with the carrots. Then more water with the potatoes and more block for taste and and a nice consistency.

I am always a hero when I make curry, as simple as it is.

I once had a roomate at BYU that had lived in Japan and hated kare raisu. I didn't trust him.

MikeWaters 07-16-2008 04:32 PM

beef is fine as long as it is lean. You don't want gristle in your curry.

Surfah 07-16-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 243153)
You and Jay use chicken? I don't get that. Pork, even beef, is so much better.

As noted I cook the meat and the onions and garlic first (the aroma get's the family in the curry mood). Then water with some of the block/paste along with the carrots. Then more water with the potatoes and more block for taste and and a nice consistency.

I am always a hero when I make curry, as simple as it is.

I once had a roomate at BYU that had lived in Japan and hated kare raisu. I didn't trust him.

I made curry the other week because Gidget wanted some. I used pork. I think it was decent.

jay santos 07-16-2008 04:42 PM

Wife and kids like chicken better. It's cheaper and easier to dice up. I think I've grown accustomed to it and like it the best now. As I recall in Korea and Japan, beef was the most common way to do it, but all my cooking has become my family's version of the Korean and Japanese originals. For example, bacon and hot dog and chicken as the meat in yakiniku.

Surfah 07-16-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 243165)
For example, bacon and hot dog and chicken as the meat in yakiniku.

Ew. Do you call it Yuckyniku?

jay santos 07-16-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfah (Post 243167)
Ew. Do you call it Yuckyniku?

I don't eat the hot dogs, the kids do. The bacon is a nice addition. A little bit like Korean sam kyop sal.

I will bring out traditional Korean sauces along with the Japanese yakinuki sauce, like sam jang (fermented soy bean paste mixed with red pepper paste, sugar, and sesame oil) or the traditional sam kyo sal sauce--salt pile in sesame oil. also garlic slices and korean style green pepper slices. It's my favorite meal.

myboynoah 07-16-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 242924)
Only Nipponophiles eat Vermont Curry. True curry aficionados eat Thai-style curries.

You're a curry snob.

Kare raisu is a working man's meal, salt of the earth type of thing. Nothing like that effete coconut milk infused curry people eat with their pinkies sticking out.

jay santos 07-16-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 243181)
You're a curry snob.

Kare raisu is a working man's meal, salt of the earth type of thing. Nothing like that effete coconut milk infused curry people eat with their pinkies sticking out.

Another tip when eating curry or other soupy/stewy Asian dishes. Get a big bowl, jam your sticky rice into one half smashing it together tight making a line right down the middle of your bowl, then pour your curry into the other side. Each spoonful should be half rice half curry.

FarrahWaters 07-16-2008 05:04 PM

I had a girl make it for me once with spam. I could barely choke it down.

Jeff Lebowski 07-16-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 243165)
Wife and kids like chicken better. It's cheaper and easier to dice up. I think I've grown accustomed to it and like it the best now. As I recall in Korea and Japan, beef was the most common way to do it, but all my cooking has become my family's version of the Korean and Japanese originals. For example, bacon and hot dog and chicken as the meat in yakiniku.

That's just wrong, Jay.