cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I'm really sad about my Japanese Maple (Old Yeller SPOILER) (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21293)

landpoke 07-29-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 248188)
Ok, thanks. Just in case, you know.

Btw, the edit makes the title of this thread rather unusual.

It's a double edit I guess. I'm so gun shy and used to abuse around here that I just assumed your ire was directed at me. I should have realized it was Levin (and rightly so) that your were angry with.

YOhio 07-29-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 248191)
It's a double edit I guess. I'm so gun shy and used to abuse around here that I just assumed your ire was directed at me. I should have realized it was Levin (and rightly so) that your were angry with.

I am so sorry to see how persecuted you are around here. It's unfair, but I just don't want to see you beat yourself.

Jeff Lebowski 07-29-2008 08:01 PM

That would suck. We have a beautiful Japanese Maple in front of our house that we have had for 15 years or so.

TripletDaddy 07-29-2008 08:03 PM

Our Japanese Maple and our Chinese Elm could never get along.

I think it goes back to something from World War 2.

landpoke 07-29-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 248207)
I am so sorry to see how persecuted you are around here. It's unfair, but I just don't want to see you beat yourself.

It's ok, my shoulders are broad enough to handle the burden.

Levin 07-29-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 248163)
Buck up. It's a tree.

Did you hear the story about Pres. Hinckley and his old maple that died, and how he felt about it? Every six months, you're staring at its remains. The man had a relationship with that tree. You say to him: "Buck up. It's a tree." And Pres. Hinckley hits you with his cane.

landpoke 07-29-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 248219)
Did you hear the story about Pres. Hinckley and his old maple that died, and how he felt about it? Every six months, you're staring at its remains. The man had a relationship with that tree. You say to him: "Buck up. It's a tree." And Pres. Hinckley hits you with his cane.

I thought you people were supposed to be congenitally cheap to the point that sentimentality didn't exist among you? Like the Scots. As such, I'm thinking this story is made up since I'm pretty sure your Pope would commence to chopping and milling and planing and such so as not to waste the lumber for which the tree was created to provide in the first place.

YOhio 07-29-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 248219)

Levin will never be mistaken for Leaven.

SeattleUte 07-29-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 248155)
I love Japanese maples (delicate purple leaves; woody plant that's slow growing). I've been doing some yard remodeling; we moved into our house in January, and it's been a long summer project redoing the yard; but I like it. I've been looking at Japanese maples at the nurseries, but they're expensive and I haven't decided where I want to put one.

Well, as I was meandering through our yard, I found one hidden behind some holly bushes and shadowed by a large pine tree. The leaves are green (they need sunlight for the leaves to turn purple). I was so stoked. So this past weekend I carefully transplanted it to a perfect spot.

It's dying.

You didn't know you had a Japanese Maple in your yard?

SeattleUte 07-29-2008 08:18 PM

BTW, there are many varieties, some with green leaves and other colors. I live in the JM capital of America. You may be killing it from too much direct sunlight. They like some shade.