cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Lotoja (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22255)

creekster 09-08-2008 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 262753)
Only weenies count rolling averages. It's overall average that matters.

Still an impressive effort.

DOn't you have a wrong to right somehwere or something? I guess I should realize how magnanimous it is for you to concede that the effort was impressive.

bluegoose 09-08-2008 04:32 PM

Good ride reports guys. Sounds like a blast.

Is the elevation info pretty accurate with your garmin? 10,000 feet of climbing is certainly no small amount. It makes the 19.3 mph average even more impressive.

Good work.

MikeWaters 09-08-2008 04:36 PM

there is no such thing as a "comfortable" 25mph for me, unless it is going downhill.

bluegoose 09-08-2008 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 262890)
there is no such thing as a "comfortable" 25mph for me, unless it is going downhill.

Have you ever been in a big, fast pack? I am extremely uncomfortable going 25 solo or even in a pace line, but with a group going that fast it really sucks you along. At the TUC this spring we did the first 12 miles averaging about 25 or 26 and my HR was sitting around 120 bpm.

MikeWaters 09-08-2008 05:14 PM

If I am going 25mph, it is in a modified paceline. That is one abreast, or two-abreast, but turns in front taken haphazardly. I've never been in a group with 4 abreast, going that fast.

Archaea 09-08-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 262914)
If I am going 25mph, it is in a modified paceline. That is one abreast, or two-abreast, but turns in front taken haphazardly. I've never been in a group with 4 abreast, going that fast.

No it's two abreast, falling off to the left or right depending upon tendency.

It works well if nobody spends any time once one has passed the wheel of the person in front, and then the paceline can accelerate its speed to something quite amazing.

But many non-racers have no idea how to do it well or correctly. You see guys surging and taking long pulls, which is really not a paceline, but modified pulling.

creekster 09-08-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 262955)
No it's two abreast, falling off to the left or right depending upon tendency.

It works well if nobody spends any time once one has passed the wheel of the person in front, and then the paceline can accelerate its speed to something quite amazing.

But many non-racers have no idea how to do it well or correctly. You see guys surging and taking long pulls, which is really not a paceline, but modified pulling.

It should look like a backwards circle while the group goes forward. Think of the TTT in a stage race.