cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Matador stirring the pot (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23558)

MikeWaters 10-13-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 278501)
Young men with access to computers who have the time to post on message boards are obviously not representative of the entire body of LDS. However, I would guess, generally speaking, that they have more education, resources, and present/future income than the world's average LDS. Broadly speaking, the LDS who have the means to post on CB should be the vanguard of enlightened, capable, intelligent, educated, well-to-do, upwardly mobile LDS in American and world society. They are the future leaders of their church.

And they post this shit.

Disappointing.

Maybe they'll mellow with age.

Over here, I get slammed for suggesting that gays are the unknown "other" to most. As if every one of these guys has multiple gay relatives and friends like ERCougar suggested.

SoCalCoug is for Prop 8, I think.
tick is for it.
my dad is for it.

It's very clear that it has been very EASY for the church to rally members to its side, and they have bought into the fear very quickly, and are propagating it to everyone else.

Jeff Lebowski 10-13-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 278490)
Your comment that support for Prop. 8 was emboldening the bigots suggests that Church leaders are more righteous than the bigots and the bigots being emboldened is an unfortunate by-product, that in a sense bigots are even taking advantage of church leaders who are at worst guilty of naivete. You need to belly up and acknowkedge that the Church leaders are themselves as bigoted as any of the people on CB you deplore, the king bigots and lords of the minion bigots, and therefore more despicable than the bigots on CB.

Aye-aye, Captain Hyperbole.

Solon 10-13-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 278502)
Over here, I get slammed for suggesting that gays are the unknown "other" to most. As if every one of these guys has multiple gay relatives and friends like ERCougar suggested.

tick is for it.
my dad is for it.

It's very clear that it has been very EASY for the church to rally members to its side, and they have bought into the fear very quickly, and are propagating it to everyone else.

I agree.

Somehow, people seem to think that saying "I'm going to preface this with 'love the sinner but hate the sin'" gives them license to spew hate, intolerance, and fear with a smug reassurance of righteous authority and indignation.

Whether it passes or fails, some of the religious rhetoric coming from supporters of Prop. 8 has really disgusted me.

Jeff Lebowski 10-13-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 278490)
Your comment that support for Prop. 8 was emboldening the bigots suggests that Church leaders are more righteous than the bigots and the bigots being emboldened is an unfortunate by-product, that in a sense bigots are even taking advantage of church leaders who are at worst guilty of naivete. You need to belly up and acknowkedge that the Church leaders are themselves as bigoted as any of the people on CB you deplore, the king bigots and lords of the minion bigots, and therefore more despicable than the bigots on CB.

By the way, stop trying to twist this around to suit your trolling needs. I have been consistent on my position on this issue from day one. I am not happy with the position of the church leadership and I have never said that they were simply guilty of naivete.

Believe it or not, it is possible to love an organization and still have disagreements from time to time. Abandonment and bitterness are not the only reasonable responses.

ERCougar 10-13-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 278502)

tick is for it.
my dad is for it.

I never said anything about CB--they frighten me a little. In fact, I believe I referred to them as a "freakshow".

Over here, I think most people have at least a few gay friends and associates. Am I wrong?

scottie 10-13-2008 02:56 PM

A friend of mine, who is LDS, joined a group on Facebook called "No on Prop 8 | Don't Eliminate Marriage for Anyone", to which someone responded on his Facebook page with, "I never thought that you would support something in which the whole agenda is to destroy the family. Have you not been listening to the prophets?" What do you say to the person who responds like that?

Surfah 10-13-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottie (Post 278535)
A friend of mine, who is LDS, joined a group on Facebook called "No on Prop 8 | Don't Eliminate Marriage for Anyone", to which someone responded on his Facebook page with, "I never thought that you would support something in which the whole agenda is to destroy the family. Have you not been listening to the prophets?" What do you say to the person who responds like that?

You delete the comment from your wall and them from your friends list. Another reason I hate social networking sites where everyone can see what is posted.

Sleeping in EQ 10-13-2008 03:19 PM

I'm late to this, but my hat's off to Rocky and mpfunk for hanging in there.

Cali Coug 10-13-2008 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 278461)

Wow- that is truly an unbelievable thread. Unreal that one aspect of the original post that wasn't ever even touched on (as far as I saw- I didn't read each thread), was the claim that it is easier to deal with a person's death than it is with them "coming out." That seems to suggest that, given the choice, he would prefer that a relative simply die than be gay.

Horrendous.

RockyBalboa 10-13-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 278630)
Wow- that is truly an unbelievable thread. Unreal that one aspect of the original post that wasn't ever even touched on (as far as I saw- I didn't read each thread), was the claim that it is easier to deal with a person's death than it is with them "coming out." That seems to suggest that, given the choice, he would prefer that a relative simply die than be gay.

Horrendous.

A few also said they'd prefer their child be born with downs syndrome instead of gay.