cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Steve Young against Prop 8 (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24192)

SeattleUte 11-01-2008 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 287599)
That's interesting that you and hyrum would see this as a chance to take a shot at BYU. Surely your thinking isn't that one-dimensional, is it?

What a cheap shot lumping me in with Hyrum.

Look, BYU yanks a guy's degree for something he wrote, BYU deserves endless ridicule. BYU has disgraced itself. Don't get me started.

Why wouldn't they take him out of the Hall of Fame? You think that's far fetched? I don't.

Cali Coug 11-01-2008 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 287574)
In case you missed it:

http://cbs5.com/politics/steve.young....2.853885.html

As you can imagine, there is weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth over on CB.

I always liked Steve. Good for him.

Good for him. A brave stand.

YOhio 11-01-2008 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 287595)
I laughed.

I would have mentioned something, but YOhio is already mad enough at me today.

Don't try to guilt trip me from pointing out your raging BYU obsession.

LA Ute 11-01-2008 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 287574)
As you can imagine, there is weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth over on CB.

I always liked Steve. Good for him.

I don't think this is about BYU. It's about Steve Young. Quite a finger in the eye of the First Presidency, no matter how you look at it. And I had actually come to like and respect the guy! No longer. But I guess this gives Seattle and a few others here cause for glee.

il Padrino Ute 11-01-2008 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 287607)
Don't try to guilt trip me from pointing out your raging BYU obsession.

Raging? No.

Smoldering? I could agree.

PaloAltoCougar 11-01-2008 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA Ute (Post 287609)
I don't think this is about BYU. It's about Steve Young. Quite a finger in the eye of the First Presidency, no matter how you look at it. And I had actually come to like and respect the guy! No longer. But I guess this gives Seattle and a few others here cause for glee.

I understand the disappointment, but I don't think the damage to the Church or the Prop. 8 cause is all that bad. It's his wife who has done the talking; Steve seems to be a go-along, and when asked to comment, he declined. In my ceaseless quest for silver linings, I see some value in the fact that Mormons will be seen as having different, if respectful, views on the ballot measure. Personally, I'd be troubled by any religion that could generate unanimity among its members with respect to a general election.

il Padrino Ute 11-01-2008 04:49 AM

Did anyone else notice that the other former Bay Area pro-athlete who has acknowledged that he is against Prop 8 is a Mormon as well?

Indy Coug 11-01-2008 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 287616)
It's his wife who has done the talking; Steve seems to be a go-along, and when asked to comment, he declined.

Steve knows all too well how hard it is to land one, so he's not about to go fishing again.

BlueHair 11-01-2008 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA Ute (Post 287609)

You don't like him because he put a sign in his window?

Jeff Lebowski 11-01-2008 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 287604)
What a cheap shot lumping me in with Hyrum.

Look, BYU yanks a guy's degree for something he wrote, BYU deserves endless ridicule. BYU has disgraced itself. Don't get me started.

Yes, they do. But this story goes far beyond BYU. Actually, it has nothing to do with BYU, other than he is a BYU grad. I would have thought you would have had a comment on Steve's motivation here. How courageous a stand this is, perhaps. Certainly, this will taint how members view him for a while at least. But no, your first reaction is to take a potshot at BYU. That's quite an obsession you have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 287604)
Why wouldn't they take him out of the Hall of Fame? You think that's far fetched? I don't.

Not a chance.