cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Just Curious... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6354)

il Padrino Ute 02-02-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 58209)
Shawn Bradley was there for only one year and led them to the postseason. Was he a home-grown product? I met his grandmother once, in Salt Lake City.

Yes, Bradley is from Castle Dale. I think he grew up in the 4th house on the east side of the street, when coming from the north.

Mormon Red Death 02-02-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 58210)
Durrant, Roberts, Bradley, Miller, Fish (not sure where he was from), Russell Larsen, Knight, Wesley, Whiting, Hansen

Not sure if any of those would be called exceptional.

I think Durrant, Roberts, Larsen, Wesly and Hansen were what I am thinking. I didint include bradley as he played only one year. Didnt include Whiting as he was a transfer

il Padrino Ute 02-02-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 58215)
Thanks for the history lesson. I'm sure the Durrant family were hoping and praying their sons would go to the U with all their history and tradition--too bad Ainge had to screw it up for them.

Ainge screwed up BYU basketball for everyone involved with BYU basketball - from coaches to players to administration to fans. He gave them hope that BYU could actually compete and succeed when he made that endline to endline drive to the hoop against Notre Dame.

Think I'm just talking to hear myself? What has BYU done since that day?

MikeWaters 02-02-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 58224)

We don't care about basketball. :)

jay santos 02-02-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 58223)
I think Durrant, Roberts, Larsen, Wesly and Hansen were what I am thinking. I didint include bradley as he played only one year. Didnt include Whiting as he was a transfer

I'm glad SU gave the history lesson for us, but the Durrant and Roberts I referred to were the second round of both families who played in the 90's and were within your 20 year mark.

il Padrino Ute 02-02-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 58225)
We don't care about basketball. :)

:D.

jay santos 02-02-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 58224)
Ainge screwed up BYU basketball for everyone involved with BYU basketball - from coaches to players to administration to fans. He gave them hope that BYU could actually compete and succeed when he made that endline to endline drive to the hoop against Notre Dame.

Well from that point up until about 1996, we were exactly even with you in all respects. There was a bout a five year period where you went off the charts, but since then it's been about even again--save the one year you had the Sweet 16 run with Bogut.

Mormon Red Death 02-02-2007 04:56 PM

Here are what I consider to be Utah's Homegrown recruiting for that time frame:

Josh Grant
Jimmy Soto
Alex Jensen
Britton Johnsen
Mark Jackson
Drew Hansen
Mark Rydalch (or is he from Colorado?)

il Padrino Ute 02-02-2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 58235)
Here are what I consider to be Utah's Homegrown recruiting for that time frame:

Josh Grant
Jimmy Soto
Alex Jensen
Britton Johnsen
Mark Jackson
Drew Hansen
Mark Rydalch (or is he from Colorado?)

Rydalch is from Oakley.

Venkman 02-02-2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 58227)
I'm glad SU gave the history lesson for us, but the Durrant and Roberts I referred to were the second round of both families who played in the 90's and were within your 20 year mark.

Mark and Ken weren't as good as their brothers. They were still good, but not what I'd consider exceptional. But since Red Death has Alex Jensen listed as one of the utes exceptionals, I think we can include them now.