cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   I listened to the Beck talk again (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12594)

BYU71 10-09-2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 133716)
Single males need to reach out to others.

I did. I not only reached out but touched. I had to give up my recommend for six months.

Tex 10-09-2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

[My mother] took longer than most women to find her husband, but during her single years she had devoted her life to progress. Though it was uncommon at the time, she was university educated and advancing in a career. Following her marriage, children arrived in quick succession; and in a short span of years, she was the mother of a large family. All the knowledge she had acquired, all her natural abilities and gifts, all her skills were channeled into an organization that had no earthly bounds. As a covenant-keeping daughter of God, she had prepared all her life for motherhood.

[A woman with a "mother heart"] gains as much education as her circumstances will allow, improving her mind and spirit with the desire to teach what she learns to the generations who follow her.

"Whatever principle of intelligence [she] attain[s] unto in this life, it will rise with [her] in the resurrection. And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through [her] diligence and obedience than another, [she] will have so much the advantage in the world to come" (D&C 130:18–19). [brackets in original]

In my experience I have seen that some of the truest mother hearts beat in the breasts of women who will not rear their own children in this life, but they know that "all things must come to pass in their time" and that they "are laying the foundation of a great work" (D&C 64:32–33). As they keep their covenants, they are investing in a grand, prestigious future because they know that "they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever" (Abraham 3:26).

Covenant-keeping women with mother hearts know that whether motherhood comes early or late; whether they are blessed with a "quiver full" of children here in mortality or not; whether they are single, married, or left to carry the responsibility of parenthood alone—in holy temples they are "endowed with power from on high" (D&C 38:32), and with that endowment they receive the promised blessings and are "persuaded of them, and embraced them" (Hebrews 11:13).
Julie Beck, April 2004 General Conference.

She who hath ears to ear, let her hear.

http://lds.org/conference/talk/displ...439-26,00.html

Indy Coug 10-09-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 133721)
I did. I not only reached out but touched. I had to give up my recommend for six months.

I set them up, you knock them down. :)

Judge Smails 10-09-2007 04:38 PM

Listen, I'm thankful to Cougarguard because until today, I had no idea Sister Beck's talk had ruffled so many feathers. In fact, I make the semiannual joke with Mrs. Smails to wake me up when the RS/Primary/YW counselor is done speaking, but this time around I listened, and I was very impressed (as was Mrs. Smails).

I'm a lifetime Mormon, returned missionary, living in Idaho with a stay at home mom for a wife and 5 children under the age of 9. That said, I'm usually pretty sensitive to how others might view a talk even if I tend to fall in with the rank and file, but apparently I was way off on this one.

I'm pretty sure every doctrine taught by the brethren has been consistent throughout the years and is a softer version of "a woman's place is in the home", generally with exceptions (methinks it was the lack of exceptions in Sister Beck's talk that has everyone's collective panties in a bunch) One of those softer versions is taken from the Proclamation on the Family:

"Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children."

Clearly, there are situations where a woman needs to be in the workforce. And absolutely women should get as much education as possible - I believe the Brethren have been consistent with both of these principles, but they should be "primarily responsible for the nurture of their children".

Sister Beck set the bar awfully high, I realize, but I believe the Savior said "Be ye therefore perfect". Where's the uproar over that one?

Does anyone think the Savior thinks we'll be perfect starting this week? Do you think Sister Beck thinks we will close down all MTC's and replace them with mini-MTCs?

What's wrong with proclaiming the ideal? I think that's all Sister Beck did and to that I say kudos.

and Go Cougars.

jay santos 10-09-2007 04:38 PM

You have a smug style and look down at people due to your high self appraisal of your intellect and have a way of subtly, yet intentionally, insulting people with it. But I will try to avoid going there with you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 133684)
There are some very bright women, who stay home, ignore their education and perform beyond admirably. I do not doubt it.

And there are women who in such circumstances find ways to sharpen their intellects without formal education, I do not doubt it.

Let's not confuse the education aspect of this. I am not favoring women ignore their education. The church does not tell women to ignore their education. In fact the opposite. I'm mostly speaking representing my wife and people like her, and she is a BYU grad.

Quote:

However, if I were a woman, I'm not bright enough that my intellect would be adequately sharpened without formal education and without the stresses of the workplace. Whether I'm a better or worse person because of it, who knows. But my skills are sharpened through the choices I've made.

I don't agree you need the stresses of the workplace to hone your intellect. It's not like a stay at home mom sits on her ass all day. There are a lot of variety and challenges. CB is full of professional, working men. CG thinks they're a step above CB, intellectually. I don't see much here on CG that impresses me, intellectually, beyond what I see from my wife and other women in my life who are stay at home mom's.

Quote:

Many of our women have less sharp skills because of the choices they've made.

I have less sharp skills because I read SI on the john and not Dostoevsky. Women who are at home are sharpening the skills for what Julie Beck says matters most--nurturing children.

Quote:

I don't accept Beck's premise that the best place for all women is in the home. Some may find it the best place if circumstances permit, but many may not.

I agree because I don't believe in absolutes, but you can replace all with most. If you don't believe it's the best place for most women and most families, if circumstances permit, then we can argue that point. It's clear to me the church teaches that, but that may not be entirely relevant. And it's an essential premise for my entire perspective.

BYU71 10-09-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Smails (Post 133729)
Listen, I'm thankful to Cougarguard because until today, I had no idea Sister Beck's talk had ruffled so many feathers. In fact, I make the semiannual joke with Mrs. Smails to wake me up when the RS/Primary/YW counselor is done speaking, but this time around I listened, and I was very impressed (as was Mrs. Smails).

I'm a lifetime Mormon, returned missionary, living in Idaho with a stay at home mom for a wife and 5 children under the age of 9. That said, I'm usually pretty sensitive to how others might view a talk even if I tend to fall in with the rank and file, but apparently I was way off on this one.

I'm pretty sure every doctrine taught by the brethren has been consistent throughout the years and is a softer version of "a woman's place is in the home", generally with exceptions (methinks it was the lack of exceptions in Sister Beck's talk that has everyone's collective panties in a bunch) One of those softer versions is taken from the Proclamation on the Family:

"Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children."

Clearly, there are situations where a woman needs to be in the workforce. And absolutely women should get as much education as possible - I believe the Brethren have been consistent with both of these principles, but they should be "primarily responsible for the nurture of their children".

Sister Beck set the bar awfully high, I realize, but I believe the Savior said "Be ye therefore perfect". Where's the uproar over that one?

Does anyone think the Savior thinks we'll be perfect starting this week? Do you think Sister Beck thinks we will close down all MTC's and replace them with mini-MTCs?

What's wrong with proclaiming the ideal? I think that's all Sister Beck did and to that I say kudos.

and Go Cougars.

Your background information, which is solid by the way, would be one reason why you were not upset nor saw a reason to be upset by the talk.

You probably don't understand why anyone gets bugged when single men are called out during conference either.

Also you live in Idaho. :)

Archaea 10-09-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 133731)
You have a smug style and look down at people due to your high self appraisal of your intellect and have a way of subtly, yet intentionally, insulting people with it. But I will try to avoid going there with you.

You failed if that was your intent, but you are as brusk as they come, but I'm sure you're aware of that. So your proviso had the opposite of its stated purpose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 133731)
I agree because I don't believe in absolutes, but you can replace all with most. If you don't believe it's the best place for most women and most families, if circumstances permit, then we can argue that point. It's clear to me the church teaches that, but that may not be entirely relevant. And it's an essential premise for my entire perspective.

What I don't agree is I don't know. I don't know what current data shows, what the current trends within the desires of families and women are. I don't profess to know. It would require many sociological studies which I am not qualified to construct or perform.

We as a Church feel compelled to direct sociological structures without science to back it up. Do we need science in all aspects? No, but some wouldn't hurt.

If it's a social structure we desire, that's fine, but dictating it for all or most may not be fine. I just believe society has changed so much that structures ideal for the 1950s may no longer apply.

jay santos 10-09-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 133735)
You failed if that was your intent, but you are as brusk as they come, but I'm sure you're aware of that. So your proviso had the opposite of its stated purpose.

No, I really held back. I could have said I think you're as dumb as a brick, and you use big words and a meandering style with pointless references to physic, math, and philosophy, which you appear to have no understanding of, to cover it up. Compare that style to someone like my wife who actually has substance to her intellect and reasoning and it's laughable that you would insult someone like her.

Tex 10-09-2007 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 133725)
Julie Beck, April 2004 General Conference.

She who hath ears to ear, let her hear.

http://lds.org/conference/talk/displ...439-26,00.html

If Requiem or anyone else would like to comment on whether this talk passes the "reaching out to all women" test, I'm open to listening.

Indy Coug 10-09-2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 133739)
If Requiem or anyone else would like to comment on whether this talk passes the "reaching out to all women" test, I'm open to listening.

Can I invoke the "yeah, but what have you done for me lately?" clause?

Judge Smails 10-09-2007 05:00 PM

all true

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 133734)
Your background information, which is solid by the way, would be one reason why you were not upset nor saw a reason to be upset by the talk.

You probably don't understand why anyone gets bugged when single men are called out during conference either.

Also you live in Idaho. :)

My background info was an intentional disclaimer.

With that in mind, I am bugged by those I perceive to "kick against the pricks". There are clearly some gray areas related to stay at home mothers, single men, etc. I'm more bothered by Pro-choice mormons, or pro-lottery mormons, those who take the white stance, when the Church's position is clearly black.

While I think I could take some of the other talks more humbly than I did, I think a little humility might be in order (holy cow, I'm asking for it - duck and cover) for some who are so disgruntled by Sister Beck's talk. Does humility = quit your job/your wife's job and schedule 3 hours a day of family scripture study? No. But it would require acceptance of her talk for what it was - a talk that set the ideal, and was approved by men I believe to be Prophets of God in a forum that can be highly correlated (check me on this Indy) with "Thus Saith the Lord".

Anyone know where I can get some flame retardant.

Archaea 10-09-2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 133738)
No, I really held back. I could have said I think you're as dumb as a brick, and you use big words and a meandering style with pointless references to physic, math, and philosophy, which you appear to have no understanding of, to cover it up. Compare that style to someone like my wife who actually has substance to her intellect and reasoning and it's laughable that you would insult someone like her.

Wherein have I affronted her? I take no affront that you dislike my style. Sometimes I dislike my style for I take no effort to review or to rewrite my meanderings. That is the therapeutic purpose here. If you do not like math or physics for reference points, feel free to ignore my posts as you're free to do. They serve as a reference point for me and nobody else. You also denigrate much of what I write, even if you ignore it may be for my own purposes not purposes which you presuppose to know.

And it's good you're married to somebody who fits your style. Congrats, she must be a very patient woman.

I notice you ignored the substance of my post.

Archaea 10-09-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Smails (Post 133744)
While I think I could take some of the other talks more humbly than I did, I think a little humility might be in order (holy cow, I'm asking for it - duck and cover) for some who are so disgruntled by Sister Beck's talk. Does humility = quit your job/your wife's job and schedule 3 hours a day of family scripture study? No. But it would require acceptance of her talk for what it was - a talk that set the ideal, and was approved by men I believe to be Prophets of God in a forum that can be highly correlated (check me on this Indy) with "Thus Saith the Lord".

What is interesting in posts such as these is the willingness of somebody who has accepted a certain point of view and is in agreement therewith, only to point those who may disagree, need humility. How humble is it to point out another's lack of humility?

BYU71 10-09-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Smails (Post 133744)
My background info was an intentional disclaimer.

With that in mind, I am bugged by those I perceive to "kick against the pricks". There are clearly some gray areas related to stay at home mothers, single men, etc. I'm more bothered by Pro-choice mormons, or pro-lottery mormons, those who take the white stance, when the Church's position is clearly black.

I agree with you on the black and white issues. I have no problem with your approach. You are expressing your belief, but I sense you are allowing others the perogitive to disagree. Throwing out the "kicking against the pricks" though was marginal.

jay santos 10-09-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 133746)
Wherein have I affronted her? I take no affront that you dislike my style. Sometimes I dislike my style for I take no effort to review or to rewrite my meanderings. That is the therapeutic purpose here. If you do not like math or physics for reference points, feel free to ignore my posts as you're free to do. They serve as a reference point for me and nobody else. You also denigrate much of what I write, even if you ignore it may be for my own purposes not purposes which you presuppose to know.

And it's good you're married to somebody who fits your style. Congrats, she must be a very patient woman.

I notice you ignored the substance of my post.

You've insulted the intellect of stay-at-home moms time and again. It started long before this weekend. You use your wife as a reference point, who you obviously have no respect for, but you apply it to all women. Sorry for attacking you, but when someone sets himself up as a model for intellect while denigrating others, then your intellect might get called in question.

The point of whether women should stay at home or not is a worthwhile discussion. I believe in it, but I'm not emotional about it. I am emotional about someone lumping all stay-at-home mom's together and making disparaging remarks about their intellect, ambitions, or work ethic.

Judge Smails 10-09-2007 05:18 PM

Did you read what you quoted?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 133750)
What is interesting in posts such as these is the willingness of somebody who has accepted a certain point of view and is in agreement therewith, only to point those who may disagree, need humility. How humble is it to point out another's lack of humility?

Judge Smails said (and you quoted): "While I think I could take some of the other talks more humbly than I did, I think..."

I recognize my need to be more humble and I identified it in my original post. I'm also not blind enough not to recognize I'm not the only one in the universe who could use a little humility.

Clearly, in cases where one has stewardship, they have a responsibility to call on others to gain humility, even if the speaker is less than 100% humble.

Being an imperfect being, I simply chose to go beyond the bounds of my stewardship, but by no means did I suggest I was without pride.

Nice try though.

Judge Smails 10-09-2007 05:21 PM

Let's be clear

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 133754)
I agree with you on the black and white issues. I have no problem with your approach. You are expressing your belief, but I sense you are allowing others the perogitive to disagree. Throwing out the "kicking against the pricks" though was marginal.

I said "What I perceive as kicking against the pricks".

Certainly, others can disagree all they want.

I perceive a 3rd of the host of heaven did as well. {extremely TIC}

SoCalCoug 10-09-2007 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 133727)
I set them up, you knock them down. :)

Just as long as he doesn't knock them up.

BYU71 10-09-2007 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Smails (Post 133761)
I said "What I perceive as kicking against the pricks".

Certainly, others can disagree all they want.

I perceive a 3rd of the host of heaven did as well. {extremely TIC}

I read what I want to read, not what someone actually wrote. I picked that up from Tex.

Archaea 10-09-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 133755)
You've insulted the intellect of stay-at-home moms time and again. It started long before this weekend. You use your wife as a reference point, who you obviously have no respect for, but you apply it to all women. Sorry for attacking you, but when someone sets himself up as a model for intellect while denigrating others, then your intellect might get called in question.

The point of whether women should stay at home or not is a worthwhile discussion. I believe in it, but I'm not emotional about it. I am emotional about someone lumping all stay-at-home mom's together and making disparaging remarks about their intellect, ambitions, or work ethic.

You need reading classes if you've interpreted what I've posted as a denigration of women who stay at home. In my mind, women should choose and not be castigated one way or the other. If they choose to stay home, they will reap benefits and detriments. In LDS culture, women who choose not to stay home are often denigrated by the stay at home mothers. Read my comments in that light; otherwise you could use some serious reading comprehension improvement.

I only referenced my wife as an example that I'm familiar with the stay at home mentality. I'm uncertain whether my wife, if given the opportunity would make the same choice. I suppose she would have refined the choice, but it's tough to say. You seem emotional as emotionally gone off on without cause. I've argued against the Beck approach as insensitive to those who must leave or the home or those that choose to. In our culture the stay at home moms don't need a defender because that is considered the ideal. I tend to defend the minority position.

Usually I'll avoid discussions on the intellect discussion, but the models of intellect are these: SIEQ, Pelagius, Mike Waters, Solon, AA, Jeff Lebowski, Creekster and Seattle [there are probably others including Indy in certain statistical matters and yourself in those matters]. In fact, you will not find me trumpeting my skill or expertise in anything. Perhaps in 11,000 posts you could find something of a joke, but I challenge you.

Mormon Red Death 10-09-2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 133785)

Usually I'll avoid discussions on the intellect discussion, but the models of intellect are these: SIEQ, Pelagius, Mike Waters, Solon, AA, Jeff Lebowski, Creekster and Seattle

the 8 sages of cougarguard

Judge Smails 10-09-2007 06:14 PM

By the way

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 133783)
I read what I want to read, not what someone actually wrote. I picked that up from Tex.

after looking back I totally misquoted myself, though the context was accurate.

I don't know who I picked that up from. :)

Tex 10-09-2007 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 133783)

Ding!

BYU71 10-09-2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 133787)

I guess you haven't read many of my works. I certainly would classify myself as an intellect.

Requiem 10-09-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 133739)

Thanks Tex. Although the content is at times vague and syrupy, it does keep hope alive.

On a related topic referenced in her talk: Does the concept of single childless women being "blessed" with husband and offspring in the afterlife fall into the doctrine or folklore category? Scriptural references are unclear on this topic. If I am to understand correctly, my eternal joy will be based on if either you or Indy take me as a plural wife and "bless" me with multiple offspring? Is this pablum designed to calm the fears of single LDS women? Where are the specific scriptural references? Is this a historical tradition common to other early cultures? Are all of our earthly problems rectified in the afterlife - i.e. will you be a Heisman Trophy winner and I will be Miss America?

Serious question that is probably best addressed in a separate thread. I would be interested in the thoughts of the resident intellectuals - Archaea, CHC, Solon, SU, SC, MW, et.al. (you know who you are). I have to catch a plane and will follow up later...

Indy Coug 10-09-2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 133797)
If I am to understand correctly, my eternal joy will be based on if either you or Indy take me as a plural wife and "bless" me with multiple offspring?

Sorry, but chronic histrionics are a big turn off for me, so you're safe.

SoonerCoug 10-09-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 133798)

Histrionics
Hysterical
Hysterectomy

I see similarities. Who is the board etymologist?

BYU71 10-09-2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 133798)

C'mon Indy, give the gal credit. That was a pretty good one.

Archaea 10-09-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 133787)

I like that.

Henceforth we knight ye (what is the object form of ye?) the Eight Sages.

Actually we have two missing ones, Adam and Dan, who is gone in search of the Holy Grail, or some pot of gold. So actually there were ten.

Requiem 10-09-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 133802)
I like that.

Actually we have two missing ones, Adam and Dan, who is gone in search of the Holy Grail, or some pot of gold. So actually there were ten.

I humbly and respectfully submit a vote for BYU71 to receive Sage status. Satire and wisdom combined are a rare talent these days (especially here).

Judge Smails 10-09-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

I like that.

I'm far more interested in the eight idiots.

Probably because it's a much more attainable personal goal.

tooblue 10-09-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

I like that.

"Now these lawyers were learned in all the arts and cunning of the people; and this was to enable them that they might be skilful in their profession."

You do realize learned and wise are two different things ;)

BlueK 10-09-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 133711)
Your statement:

Don't ever look for anything positive though coming about single males in the church. They have been singled out as road kill and no one gets upset about it.

you got that right.

Archaea 10-09-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 133806)
I humbly and respectfully submit a vote for BYU71 to receive Sage status. Satire and wisdom combined are a rare talent these days (especially here).

Okay, then with Adam, Dan and 71, do we have a 12th? Requiem to inform us of the better half's wisdom and BG as an absentee? We then have a baker's dozen Quorum of Sages.

We'll worry about the Dunces of which I shall be chief.

Tex 10-09-2007 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 133797)
Thanks Tex. Although the content is at times vague and syrupy, it does keep hope alive.

I guess it's just too hard to say, "Wow, I guess she really does want to reach out to all women. Maybe I was wrong about her."

Indy Coug 10-09-2007 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 133800)
Histrionics
Hysterical
Hysterectomy

Yes, they all are derived from the same Greek root.

creekster 10-09-2007 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 133800)
Histrionics
Hysterical
Hysterectomy

ISn't it from the greek word for uterus or womb?

I recall this being discussed during the OJ simpson murder trial after several of the news organizations repeatedly used the word hysterical to refer to Marcia Clark but nerve to any of the male attorneys. The commentary I read suggested that the usage fo the word is subtle (and perhaps unintentional) sexism becasue the word is derived from the thought that women act hysterically as a result of their gender specific plumbing, so to speak.

creekster 10-09-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

I like that.

THis is so amusing and ironic. My wife would probabyl howl with laughter at the thought that I was considered sage of anyhting except maybe scratching inappropriately. Moreover, for such a suggestion to be made in a thread about women would probably be a little hard for my good wife to take. In fact, it is alittle hard for me to take in any thread.

I formally withdraw my name from the group. You can replace me with Arch or, really, just about anybody becaseu just about anyone could give you what I can.

Thanks for suggesting it, however.

jay santos 10-09-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 133785)
Usually I'll avoid discussions on the intellect discussion, but the models of intellect are these: SIEQ, Pelagius, Mike Waters, Solon, AA, Jeff Lebowski, Creekster and Seattle [there are probably others including Indy in certain statistical matters and yourself in those matters].

Maybe all posters should be required to take an IQ test so we could be ranked properly. Then we could throw in the stay-at-home wives of board members to see if they truly are inferior.

SoCalCoug 10-09-2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 133848)
Maybe all posters should be required to take an IQ test so we could be ranked properly. Then we could throw in the stay-at-home wives of board members to see if they truly are inferior.

You might be surprised by the results. (although I'm not worried about Lingo flashing a Mensa card).