cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   do 8 year olds "decide" to be baptized? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21154)

MikeWaters 07-23-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 245908)
Because the assumption is that a 9 year old that hasn't been baptized is likely in a family that has been completely inactive or less active for a period of time and are unlikely to have been taught by their parents or in church about the gospel. I've seen tons of examples of this; my nephew for one.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I can't think of a single instance where a child that had been going to church all their life with an active parent or parents that decided not to get baptized until after age 9.

I gave you an example in this thread.

But you didn't address why an 8 year old who had never attended church more than a month could be baptized without missionary discussions.

RedHeadGal 07-23-2008 06:29 PM

The whole thing may or may not be coercive. Or is may or may not be informed (at least to some extent). I'm sure most kids who are raised in the church are genuinely excited--it's a milestone in their lives.

But most here seem to agree that it's not so much a "decision" they make, which begs the question I started with. Why were all the speakers saying that to this child: how great her decision, how important her decision, Heavenly Father is proud of her decision. What do people mean by that? It's good this is happening to you?

creekster 07-23-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 245911)
I gave you an example in this thread.

But you didn't address why an 8 year old who had never attended church more than a month could be baptized without missionary discussions.

He would still need to be interviewed by the bishop. While the interview itself ma6y not be a searing examination, in general the bishop is likely to know about the 8 year old and ensure that sufficient instruction has taken place, at least that is what has happened in my experience.

jay santos 07-23-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 245859)
I attended a child's baptism last weekend, and I was struck by how often people talked to the child about her "decision" to be baptized. I'm not saying they are forced, but it seems a bit odd to me to suggest that they are really making a meaningful decision there. I don't remember deciding anything about it.

I think you and some others here are vastly underestimating 8 year old kids.

creekster 07-23-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 245913)
The whole thing may or may not be coercive. Or is may or may not be informed (at least to some extent). I'm sure most kids who are raised in the church are genuinely excited--it's a milestone in their lives.

But most here seem to agree that it's not so much a "decision" they make, which begs the question I started with. Why were all the speakers saying that to this child: how great her decision, how important her decision, Heavenly Father is proud of her decision. What do people mean by that? It's good this is happening to you?

The notion of an informed deciison is a tricky one on this sort of issue. Looking back as a 40 year old no one would think they were capable of making a mature decions at 8. Of course, a 40 year old usually thinks they were completely lost at 18, too, even though when 18 the same person thought they knew exactly everyhting there was to know. How many here, for example, are rather confident that a 50 year old Waters will look back at his posts from 2006 and chuckle at what a knucklehead he was at times?

I am sure that the notion of accountability is important here. By 8, one is typically able to determine what is right or worng (I guess htis might mean effectively employ the light of Christ) and so the time for baptism is approrpiate. The percevied scope and import of the convenants asssumed by baptism will change over time as the person matures and learns and changes. Thje 8 year old chooses to be baptized in the important sense of choosing the right thing. Is it as informed as it could be if he waited until he was 20? not in some ways, but from his perspective it is and, on this issue, that is enough.

MikeWaters 07-23-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 245914)
He would still need to be interviewed by the bishop. While the interview itself ma6y not be a searing examination, in general the bishop is likely to know about the 8 year old and ensure that sufficient instruction has taken place, at least that is what has happened in my experience.

then why can't a bishop do this for a 9 year old?

jay santos 07-23-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 245918)

Take a step back, Mike. There has to be a policy on children of members who do not get baptized. At some point they have to be lumped in with the rest of the non-members. What is that age? Church defines it as 9. Is it a big deal?

RedHeadGal 07-23-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 245916)
I think you and some others here are vastly underestimating 8 year old kids.

do you have a special insight into the 8 year old mind that we lack? why would you think you understand it better than anyone else?

Indy Coug 07-23-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 245923)
Take a step back, Mike. There has to be a policy on children of members who do not get baptized. At some point they have to be lumped in with the rest of the non-members. What is that age? Church defines it as 9. Is it a big deal?

When the missionaries have come over to our house to teach a discussion or share a spiritual thought, our kids have thought that was really cool. I'm not sure requiring missionaries to teach 9 year olds is all that onerous.

creekster 07-23-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 245918)

Like Jay said, it needs to be set somewhere.