cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Chapel-Hill-Coug's Intro: (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8033)

Chapel-Hill-Coug 05-03-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 78210)
A really stupid question, but with your credentials, would teaching at a prep school be of any interest, or do you intend to enter the dirty field of business, making your millions to retire to become a gentleman skeptic and intellect?

Yes, I'm open to the possibility. The main thing for me is that I'd like to teach what I know from a historical perspective. I can't do that teaching at the Y, or in CES.

PS - For bluegoose: I'm way too much of a skeptic and spiritually dead to be teaching in CES. I've been approached about teaching on a trial basis at the Y (which is how they hire all their teachers) but at this point I just make it easy for them by letting them know they probably wouldn't want me ;-).

Archaea 05-03-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug (Post 78301)
Yes, I'm open to the possibility. The main thing for me is that I'd like to teach what I know from a historical perspective. I can't do that teaching at the Y, or in CES.

PS - For bluegoose: I'm way too much of a skeptic and spiritually dead to be teaching in CES. I've been approached about teaching on a trial basis at the Y (which is how they hire all their teachers) but at this point I just make it easy for them by letting them know they probably wouldn't want me ;-).

Well, actually you're doing us a disservice by not teaching. We need all perspectives.

However, a well-healed prep school might be fun, if you could teach advanced placement classes. For example, my son is thirteen but he'd much enjoy classes you could teach, but he's not in Utah.

BarbaraGordon 05-03-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 78317)
However, a well-healed prep school might be fun, if you could teach advanced placement classes. For example, my son is thirteen but he'd much enjoy classes you could teach, but he's not in Utah.

This is what my friend has decided to do. He's a PhD in math and just finished his first year teaching at a residential high school somewhere back East. He was trying to avoid the headaches associated with university faculty-status, but he's found high school has a different set of headaches. Archaea's right, though, it's an option to consider.

creekster 05-03-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 78317)
Well, actually you're doing us a disservice by not teaching. We need all perspectives.

I agree. How can you be so selfish?

Chapel-Hill-Coug 05-03-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 78521)
I agree. How can you be so selfish?

A few years back I would have thought this. But then I received a summer research fellowship at BYU (this was 3 summers ago I think) where I and a few other LDS grad students from around the country worked closely with the top ranking profs from the Reli department, and a couple from FARMS.

Without getting into the nitty gritty, let me assure both you and Archaea that the "disservice" is not on my part. That seminar confirmed what I had suspected but that the idealist in me didn't see, namely, that the dept will never be anything other than a glorified seminary program. The historical-critical approach to sacred texts is NOT welcome there, beyond a very touched up, patronizing version of it. This could change but it will take a long time.

creekster 05-03-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug (Post 78541)
A few years back I would have thought this. But then I received a summer research fellowship at BYU (this was 3 summers ago I think) where I and a few other LDS grad students from around the country worked closely with the top ranking profs from the Reli department, and a couple from FARMS.

Without getting into the nitty gritty, let me assure both you and Archaea that the "disservice" is not on my part. That seminar confirmed what I had suspected but that the idealist in me didn't see, namely, that the dept will never be anything other than a glorified seminary program. The historical-critical approach to sacred texts is NOT welcome there, beyond a very touched up, patronizing version of it. This could change but it will take a long time.

I was actually kidding, trying to poke Arch a little. I say do what ever you feel like doing, without running afoul of the church spies (of course, need I even add this?).

I actually dropped out of seminary. Maybe that's my rpoblem.

bluegoose 05-03-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 78547)

One of them, creek. One of them.

creekster 05-03-2007 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 78551)
One of them, creek. One of them.

Good point. Thanks for keeping me where I need to be (my wife will be glad to know that someone fills her spot during the day).

Archaea 05-03-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 78547)
I was actually kidding, trying to poke Arch a little. I say do what ever you feel like doing, without running afoul of the church spies (of course, need I even add this?).

Couldn't one smuggle oneself, act the part and then gradually ease the good stuff on in?