cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Steve Young against Prop 8 (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24192)

HuskyFreeNorthwest 11-01-2008 05:00 AM

Off Topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 287597)
I think so. I hear he is still dating Troy Aikman.

I just finished reading Boys Will Be Boys, by Jeff Pearlman. He spent about 2 pages ripping Skip Bayless apart for what a horrible "journalist" he was for making the Aikman is gay claim in his (Skip's) Hell Bent book.

Would an Aikman/Young marriage make them the first family of football?

BlueHair 11-01-2008 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 287616)
I understand the disappointment, but I don't think the damage to the Church or the Prop. 8 cause is all that bad. It's his wife who has done the talking; Steve seems to be a go-along, and when asked to comment, he declined. In my ceaseless quest for silver linings, I see some value in the fact that Mormons will be seen as having different, if respectful, views on the ballot measure. Personally, I'd be troubled by any religion that could generate unanimity among its members with respect to a general election.

He needs to put his wife in her place. Shouldn't she be cooking or cleaning or something? What gives her, a woman, the right to be the family spokesperson?

TripletDaddy 11-01-2008 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 287621)
Did anyone else notice that the other former Bay Area pro-athlete who has acknowledged that he is against Prop 8 is a Mormon as well?

Jeff Kent? It says that he donated $15K to ban gay marriage, no?

BlueHair 11-01-2008 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 287633)

Kent is for Prop 8.

PaloAltoCougar 11-01-2008 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 287621)
Did anyone else notice that the other former Bay Area pro-athlete who has acknowledged that he is against Prop 8 is a Mormon as well?

Are you talking about Jeff Kent? Brother Kent is outspoken in his support for Prop. 8. It would be interesting if he still played for the Giants.

PaloAltoCougar 11-01-2008 05:05 AM

Okay, so we're agreed Jeff Kent is pro Prop 8.

TripletDaddy 11-01-2008 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA Ute (Post 287609)
I don't think this is about BYU. It's about Steve Young. Quite a finger in the eye of the First Presidency, no matter how you look at it. And I had actually come to like and respect the guy! No longer. But I guess this gives Seattle and a few others here cause for glee.

You no longer like or respect someone because, in your eyes, they are sinning?

Enjoy the beam in your eye, amigo.

TripletDaddy 11-01-2008 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar (Post 287636)
Okay, so we're agreed Jeff Kent is pro Prop 8.

My reading of that link is that kent donated money to ban gay marriage. Seems pretty clear.

Let's stop trying to lump Kent in with clear Church antagonists....guys like Morris Thurston....

BlueHair 11-01-2008 05:06 AM

I don't think a vote against Prop 8 is a vote for gay marriage. There are many things that I am personally against, but feel should be legal.

il Padrino Ute 11-01-2008 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 287633)

I misread that.

Then it's interesting that the article didn't point out that he is a Mormon.