cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   My son came home from school wearing... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14677)

il Padrino Ute 12-06-2007 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 159680)
A cross necklace. He and all the other kindergarteners got one as a little gift for being so good today. I haven't said anything to him about it, but wow am I peeved. This is totally out of line for a public school. I have seen Muslim women coming to pick up their children from school. Certainly there are Jewish and other non-Christian children that attend the school as well. I hate to make a fuss and perpetuate the belief that Mormons are not Christians, but this is something I just can't stay silent about. What do you all think? How would you handle this if it was your child?

When it is your son's birthday, give each child a little bag with candy and the card that has the Articles of Faith on it.

Detroitdad 12-06-2007 07:09 AM

Talk to the principal, but don't make a big deal about it, because people will talk and you don't want your kids to be thought of as complainers/atheists. We had a Jewish couple that protested the Salvation Army drop box, the Wreaths,etc. anything that could be construed as Christian in Tuscaloosa.

They succeeded in getting everything removed or placed just off school grounds pretty much, but they also succeeded in having their kids taunted and teased, and in getting in shouting matches at PTA meetings. But they went about it in a very public way that led to that outcome. Also, they never tried subtlety and tact, just confrontation and hysteria. Nobody was sad when their oldest child left the fifth grade.

UtahDan 12-06-2007 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 159937)
When it is your son's birthday, give each child a little bag with candy and the card that has the Articles of Faith on it.

You could give them little white Christmas M&M's and label the bag "seer stones." :)

Jeff Lebowski 12-06-2007 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimal (Post 159927)
Lebowski, next time you're in town, drop by and say hi. We'll give you a cross as something to remember our lovely town by.

Will do. We can go catch a bite to eat at the Waffle House.

BTW Danimal, you look great in your wife's avatar. Looks like you've been working out.

jay santos 12-06-2007 02:24 PM

I'd think it was great my kid was surrounded by Christians. I'd follow the teacher's example and give out cross necklaces to the kids in my primary class.

UtahDan 12-06-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 159990)
There has been no significant success in missionary work in Mayfield since that event in the late 80s.

Fear of the cross is stupid and harmful.

A little hyperbole here? I think the church gets to choose its own symbols and it has articulated a reason (which you I am certain are well aware of) for why the cross isn't one of them.

I don't think the fact that offense is given to clergy of other churches thereby is a reason to change this.

I agree that the cross is not an offensive symbol, but I see nothing offensive about our focus on the resurrection. The star of David and its symbology are not offensive or inconsistent with LDS belief either. But I'm not in a hurry to hang any up.

I see your point but I think you are overstating its impact.

myboynoah 12-06-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

In Mayfield KY the Mormon Church purchased a chapel from some other denomination and had an open house as a missionary tool. During the building prep for the open house the Elders Quorum Pres went up on the building and took a chain saw and cut off the wooden cross from the steeple.

One of the funniest things I've read in a while.

I can just imagine the previous week's ward council discussing "upgrading" the new building. Bishop turns to the EQP, "First thing, get up on the roof and cut down that damn cross."

Archaea 12-06-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Seriously, I don't understand why Mormons are so cross adverse. The cross is just as much a symbol of the Atonement as anything could be. Remember, it is Mormon doctrine that the agony of Gethsemene returned on the cross. the Atonement was worked out there as much as in the garden in Mormon thought.

We should not be afraid of the cross, or offended by it, or run from it. Just because the Catholic's go too far with their bloody Jesus on the cross doesn't mean we shouldn't use the symbol at all.

Fear of the cross is stupid and harmful.

I don't fear the cross but to me it is a symbol of idol worship, not a symbol of the atonement. It represents the Nicene Creeds. If somebody gave one to my child, we'd simply put it in a drawer as a remembrance. I don't want my children relying upon such symbols of idol worship. Others wearing it don't offend me.

jay santos 12-06-2007 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 160029)
I don't fear the cross but to me it is a symbol of idol worship, not a symbol of the atonement. It represents the Nicene Creeds. If somebody gave one to my child, we'd simply put it in a drawer as a remembrance. I don't want my children relying upon such symbols of idol worship. Others wearing it don't offend me.

We don't use symbols in Mormon church?

Why do we get uppity with the cross about being a useless symbol when we have plenty of symbols?

Is a happy face sun a more accurate symbol for true worship of God?