cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Obama and abortion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20070)

Spaz 06-11-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 229906)
why?

Because that's what my parents taught me, and it makes sense to me in terms of my moral base.

Spaz 06-11-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 230138)
I think if you think it is murder you ought not allow it in cases of rape and incest.

I would prefer rape & incest victims allow for the adoption of their children, but this decision should rightfully made by the individual, with the assistance of One who is wiser than any of us.

Goatnapper'96 06-11-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 231045)
I would prefer rape & incest victims allow for the adoption of their children, but this decision should rightfully made by the individual, with the assistance of One who is wiser than any of us.

Why the hell would you get Bronco "BSD" Mendenhall involved? Isn't he busy enough emasculating Ute fans by changing the words to Utah Man?

SoCalCoug 06-11-2008 09:14 PM

I thought the church handbook specifically states that abortion is not murder.

Spaz 06-11-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 231070)
Why the hell would you get Bronco "BSD" Mendenhall involved? Isn't he busy enough emasculating Ute fans by changing the words to Utah Man?

lol - not quite the 'One' I was referring to.

It's not like Utah Man isn't emasculating without changing any words...

exUte 06-12-2008 06:34 AM

When did you figure that out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 230073)
Despite what many would have you believe, most abortions are for convenience and have nothing to do with the health of the mother, fetus, or rape/incest. The one aspect that has really surprised since becoming a physician is the number of women who have had abortions for no medical reason. It's astonishing.

I'm with you in that I don't feel really comfortable with the government making a moral judgment in an area of so much disagreement, but it's really sad how many abortions are taking place for no other reason than the pregnancy is somewhat inconvenient. The problem I have with the pro-choice side of this is that they seem very resistant to any attempts to making abortion the least bit difficult. That bothers me a lot. This is a major decision, and it needs to be treated as such. Education, waiting periods, etc should be mandatory.

Statistics show the vast majority of abortions are for convenience only......in the 90% range had abortions as a form of birth control. And then the difference between the 'health' (read: mental health whatever that may entail) and 'life' of the mother. The 'health' argument is code word for abortion on demand because it may upset you to give birth.

Mars 06-13-2008 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 230733)
Is this to suggest that you can't be "good" LDS and be pro choice?

Depends. Can you be "good" LDS and take views in direct opposition to those the Church officially takes, or does that make you a hypocrite kicking against the pricks who trys to tell God that He is wrong?