cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is anyone else (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17848)

il Padrino Ute 03-19-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 200113)
As far as I know, nobody has been murdered after a Red Sox/Yanks game.

It isn't considered murder if a Yankee fan offs a Red Sox fan. To New Yorkers, it's like killing a pigeon.

And there are no murders at Fenway because there are no Yankee fans smart enough to find their way to Boston. You can't kill 'em if they ain't there.

ute4ever 03-19-2008 07:45 PM

2008 will be the year of the Padre.

RockyBalboa 03-19-2008 07:50 PM

My team, the Cincinnati Reds, pretty much suck every year.

TripletDaddy 03-19-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 200161)
It isn't considered murder if a Yankee fan offs a Red Sox fan. To New Yorkers, it's like killing a pigeon.

And there are no murders at Fenway because there are no Yankee fans smart enough to find their way to Boston. You can't kill 'em if they ain't there.

My wife and I were present the night Aaron Boone hit the homer out of left field to put the Yanks into the WS. We went to that game. As you probably know, you hop on the Lex express (4) to get back to Manahato and your hotel....on the train ride home, the train was packed with Yankee and Sox fans. I didnt see one fight. I heard only ribbing about 1918 and the Curse. Sox fans had their tails between their legs, again.

That type of comaraderie just doesnt exist between Dodgers and Giants fans.

Try stopping by Phillipe's before a Dodger game while wearing a Giants uni. I personally observed it once and it was pretty. When else do you ever heard boos and f-bombs being hurled across a restaurant?

Admittedly, it is mostly the Dodger fans being aggressive because when I have been to pacBell for a Dodger game, the fans dont get violent, they just boo you. They did throw stuff at the Stick, though, but that was less of a wine and cheese crowd than PacBell attracts. I will give it up for Gilroy Garlic Fries, though. yum!

Runner Coug 03-19-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 200113)
Beyond that, I just dont get the appeal. Is it all the winning? It is the old stadium where you would freeze to death or get hit by stray AA batteries? Or is it the appealing black and orange merchandising scheme?

When I was growing up, I could faintly get the Giants games on radio at night. With only a few Braves games on WTBS and one or two games a week on the networks, being able to hear every Giants game was like a gold mine. That's how I became a fan.

smokymountainrain 03-19-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 200159)
And Smokeymountain - take heart. Our O's will be no worse. In order for our team to have a successful season, we only have to be within 5 games of first place when May starts.

I've heard rumors that Rip is trying to put a group together to buy the Orioles from that Damngelos. Oh, how I it's true.

Make it happen, Cal. Please, oh please, make it happen.

Mormon Red Death 03-19-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Addison (Post 200110)
Cubs fan. Very much looking forward to baseball season, and will be until at least June.

I can tell you are fine man with many redeemable qualities

RC Vikings 03-19-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 200161)

I'm not a Yankee fan but apparently I'm not very smart either. I swear every street around Fenway is a one way street leading AWAY from the stadium. I think their is a secret road somewhere that only Boston people know about to keep everybody else away.

SoCalCoug 03-19-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 200142)
Atlanta Braves fan. Always been one, and I refuse to jump ship. I hate all bandwagoners - even ones who root for my team.

I've been following the Braves since the days of Rick Mahler, Bruce Benedict, Bob Horner, and (of course) Dale Murphy. I lived 3 hours from Atlanta while growing up, so I'm anything but a bandwagoner. I watched every day during the summer, even while they were losing 90 and 100 games a year.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the season, but I'm tired of being disappointed at playoff time.

il Padrino Ute 03-19-2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 200181)
Make it happen, Cal. Please, oh please, make it happen.

I wonder if start a Cal shrine next to my Brooks shrine would expedite this. To do this, I would need to find another place for the pics of my wife and kids, but I'm willing to make sacrifices. I'd even make Old Testament sacrifices as well.

Would grilling tri-tips be considered burnt offerings even if they aren't burnt?