cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Baseball sucks (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1987)

mpfunk 04-29-2006 09:14 AM

il Pad you really did use a great and wise man in your quote about baseball. As you stated I am a reformed baseball hater and let me say everything in my life has been better since I learned to love baseball.

Johnny your post simply proves that you do not understand baseball. The intentional walk does not take a player out of the game at all. It puts the player on base. Getting on base is a huge deal in baseball and you are already one step closer to getting burned because of intentional walk. Plus let's not forgot the strategy involved with constructing a lineup to protect your players you do not want walked intentionally.

Parrot Head 04-29-2006 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk
The intentional walk does not take a player out of the game at all. It puts the player on base. Getting on base is a huge deal in baseball and you are already one step closer to getting burned because of intentional walk. Plus let's not forgot the strategy involved with constructing a lineup to protect your players you do not want walked intentionally.

A little Moneyball from the man who used to have an A's logo as his CB moniker.

mpfunk 04-30-2006 06:41 AM

Moneyball is one the best books every written on any subject. It is also the best baseball book I have read hands down. I am waiting in anticipation for the follow up to Moneyball. Sadly I think it is another 2-3 years away.

I am seriously considering bringing back the A's icon, but I kind of have become identified with the Creepy King so I'm not sure if I can.

Tim 04-30-2006 07:07 AM

Quote:

il Pad you really did use a great and wise man in your quote about baseball. As you stated I am a reformed baseball hater and let me say everything in my life has been better since I learned to love baseball.

Johnny your post simply proves that you do not understand baseball. The intentional walk does not take a player out of the game at all. It puts the player on base. Getting on base is a huge deal in baseball and you are already one step closer to getting burned because of intentional walk. Plus let's not forgot the strategy involved with constructing a lineup to protect your players you do not want walked intentionally.

Here is a quote I found:
Baseball brings joy into good men's lives. -Dennis Nuttblock

Actually, I made it up myself.

Tom

mpfunk 04-30-2006 07:22 AM

Dennis Nuttblock has witnessed many baseball games.

Tim 04-30-2006 07:39 AM

Quote:

Dennis Nuttblock has witnessed many baseball games.

Dennis Nuttblock is a true renaissance man: live sporting events, symphonic performances, art museums, ballroom dancing clubs on Saturday nights -- Nuttblock attends them all.

il Padrino Ute 04-30-2006 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim
Baseball brings joy into good men's lives.
Tom

Truer words have never been spoken.

At least not on this board.

JohnnyLingo 04-30-2006 10:26 PM

I'm glad the consesus is that I don't understand baseball.

That's good.

I'll bet that if I understood curling, it'd be awesome, too.

Thanks for the education, guys.

mpfunk 04-30-2006 10:41 PM

I think the consensus is you lack the capacity to understand baseball, if you actually think that intentionally walking a player is taking him out of the game.

SoCalCoug 05-01-2006 04:34 AM

There is nothing like a 1-0 pitcher's duel, or a 6-4-3 double play, or a game-winning RBI single with a man on 2nd, and a play at the plate. Football hits you in the mouth. Baseball seduces you.