cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Kaveinga (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15981)

TripletDaddy 01-17-2008 05:02 PM

Bummer for BYU. Potentially huge loss.

The SC chat board is really excited about Kaveinga and people watching him play say he is definitely the real deal.

If he trips to SC, it is over. He gets the recruit BBQ, a tour of Heritage Halls, and the band and song girls will play Conquest and Fight On!

BYU has nothing to come remotely close to all of that. do they take them to eat at Legends Grill?

Havili coming from SLC and basically becoming a worshipped love child of Trojan faithful probably doesnt hurt SC, either, when trying to recruit an LDS poly.

Fight on!

BYU71 01-17-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 175406)
I agree that BYU can make that claim, but not against USC. I would be comfortable if it were UCLA that was the competition, but SC is the biggest stage in college football right now and unless Carrol leaves there is no reason to view that changing anytime soon.

SC has the stage. SC has one parent's support. SC has a Poly brotherhood. SC is close to home. SC will let him go on a mission that he doesn't want to go on. SC can virtually gurantee him the chance to play in a couple of BCS bowls.

BYU gets UNI in its opener and a big game against TCU. BYU is the mtn. BYU is his school's faith and it will give him a chance to probably play a lot as a freshman and start for 3 years. It also gives him a good shot of playing in a BCS bowl.

As I said, I am impressed that Mendenhall has made it thus far given that it is not his parents deepest wishes. That impresses me, honestly. Perhaps he will land Kaveinga and if he doesn't he will land some in time. Mendenhall seems to be getting closer.

Geez, now that you put it that way, I am waivering.

If I right now had a son who had Kaveinga's talent, I would tell my kid not to go to BYU.

Downside: If you slip up and break a rule you could end up messing up your college career. I might be wrong, but at most schools M. Tonga would be back in school and the defensive end from Alpine woudn't have been kicked out of school. Both of those kids were LDS.

Second downside. BYU doesn't appear to want to compete with the big boys looking at their scheduling. Look who you play against in the PAC10 with USC. Look at who you play with in the Mtn.

Unless you really love being around mormons, USC vs BYU is a no brainer. I hope he loves being around mormons.

Goatnapper'96 01-17-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 175410)
Bummer for BYU. Potentially huge loss.

The SC chat board is really excited about Kaveinga and people watching him play say he is definitely the real deal.

If he trips to SC, it is over. He gets the recruit BBQ, a tour of Heritage Halls, and the band and song girls will play Conquest and Fight On!

BYU has nothing to come remotely close to all of that. do they take them to eat at Legends Grill?

Havili coming from SLC and basically becoming a worshipped love child of Trojan faithful probably doesnt hurt SC, either, when trying to recruit an LDS poly.

Fight on!

I have one thing to say to you and I have wanted to say this to a TO Lancer for a very long time.

Feel free to lick my balls. ;)

smokymountainrain 01-17-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 175411)
Geez, now that you put it that way, I am waivering.

If I right now had a son who had Kaveinga's talent, I would tell my kid not to go to BYU.

Downside: If you slip up and break a rule you could end up messing up your college career. I might be wrong, but at most schools M. Tonga would be back in school and the defensive end from Alpine woudn't have been kicked out of school. Both of those kids were LDS.

Second downside. BYU doesn't appear to want to compete with the big boys looking at their scheduling. Look who you play against in the PAC10 with USC. Look at who you play with in the Mtn.

Unless you really love being around mormons, USC vs BYU is a no brainer. I hope he loves being around mormons.

I'm sure there are some reasons as to why a kid would pick BYU over USC.

To list just a few...

still thinking....

oh hell, nevermind.

TripletDaddy 01-17-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 175413)
I have one thing to say to you and I have wanted to say this to a TO Lancer for a very long time.

Feel free to lick my balls. ;)

That is a super generous offer. Thanks!

Goatnapper'96 01-17-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 175418)
That is a super generous offer. Thanks!

The last person I offered that to was Steve Rudisill. I hope extending the offer to use doesn't result in smelling salts anytime soon.

TripletDaddy 01-17-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 175419)
The last person I offered that to was Steve Rudisill. I hope extending the offer to use doesn't result in smelling salts anytime soon.

Steve Rudisill? Ha. You really are down with T.O.

What is it exactly that happened that turned you off to TOHS? Was it the high concentration of wealth, the Blue Ribbon academics, or the annual football drubbing? I loved my experience, but can barely remember HS and certainly dont care much about any of it at this point.

I will take a raincheck on your kind offer, but invite you to invest in some cornstarch or other deodorizer.

il Padrino Ute 01-17-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 175394)
Honestly, doesn't Sark have some compassion on us? Can't he just go to Pete and say look, we can get another elsewhere or another next year. BYU has this chance once or twice a decade. We let Sark drink like a sailor at BYU and did nothing about it. A little compassion back the way to his alma mater. Is it all because he had to look at Chad Lewis nekkid while shaking the hand of an LDS Apostle?

For the love of Lavell just give us the token mormon. He got Havili and we didn't whine or question his devotion to the Gospel of Christ, well at least I didn't. Why can't there be mercy upon us?

He goes to SC, you know it and I know it. That is why SC is SC and BYU is BYU.

Damn you. Growing up in Simi Valley I was a Bruin fan and now I know why. ;)

Sark owes BYU nothing. He gave them 14-1 and a Cotton Bowl victory.

Black Diamond Bay 01-17-2008 07:28 PM

I don't know why anyone in their right mind would go to USC. The players are a bunch of low-life gang bangers. As far as I can tell there isn't anything about USC that doesn't scream ghetto. The Coliseum is very high on my list of venues that suck, and the fans...they're just disgusting, low-life, drunks. It's just a dumping ground of human debris.

MikeWaters 01-17-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay (Post 175444)
I don't know why anyone in their right mind would go to USC. The players are a bunch of low-life gang bangers. As far as I can tell there isn't anything about USC that doesn't scream ghetto. The Coliseum is very high on my list of venues that suck, and the fans...they're just disgusting, low-life, drunks. It's just a dumping ground of human debris.

I do have to say, if he does choose to go to USC, I will be accusing him of being this very thing. Me and about 12 million other people.