cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Palestinian Right of Return (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19564)

BYU71 05-20-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 223233)
just like Mormons stand up for the persecuted and oppressed?

Exactly.

People care about their own interests, but they'll be darned if they will go out on a limb for someone else.

Many LDS are cheering in the streets that the FLDS had their kids taken away.

Right, so why should I care if the Palestinians are also forgotten. It is their problem, not mine.

MikeWaters 05-20-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 223236)
Right. Those SOB Jews are just picking on the poor innocent Arabs.

Thanks Jerry Falwell. Do some reading and come back when you want a serious discussion. That you can't find any wrongdoing by Israel says everything I need to know.

BYU71 05-20-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 223236)
Right. Those SOB Jews are just picking on the poor innocent Arabs.

We are part of the animal kingdom. I am with the environmentalists on this one. Everyone should protect the earth and the process. In the animal kingdom it is survival of the fittest. Let's make our moves while we are still the most fit.

Indy Coug 05-20-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 223240)
Thanks Jerry Falwell. Do some reading and come back when you want a serious discussion. That you can't find any wrongdoing by Israel says everything I need to know.

I find it amusing that anyone here would take the side of either one of these groups.

MikeWaters 05-20-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 223237)
Right, so why should I care if the Palestinians are also forgotten. It is their problem, not mine.

well, you might care if they were blowing up your friends. even if your friends haven't always done right.

MikeWaters 05-20-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 223243)
I find it amusing that anyone here would take the side of either one of these groups.

Israel gets 99% favorable coverage in the media, and among Americans in general.

If one person talks about the plight of the Palestinians, he is a bigot and an anti-semite.

BYU71 05-20-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 223244)
well, you might care if they were blowing up your friends. even if your friends haven't always done right.

Well they aren't are they. Just curious, how do you pick and choose who you have a bleeding heart for and who you are going to save.

Myself, I pick first who is more important to my needs. It is kind of like what they tell you on the airplane. Put the air mask on yourself first.

Tex 05-20-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 223240)

What you don't know is how I really feel about Israel. All we've discussed is the Right of Return, and how unrealistic I think it is. You've taken some narrow slice of my opinion on the conflict and generalized it. In addition, you've done nothing but cite anti-Israel bromides.

It isn't I who is not having a serious conversation here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 223243)

"Taking sides" would be too strong a phrase for my support for Israel. I acknowledge atrocities and violations on both sides, though I don't think they are necessarily equivalent. I'm also a pragmatist when it comes to solutions. I don't think much of people on idealistic crusades (see: Right of Return).

Indy Coug 05-20-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 223246)
Israel gets 99% favorable coverage in the media, and among Americans in general.

If one person talks about the plight of the Palestinians, he is a bigot and an anti-semite.

You should watch the English news on Saudi TV. They never mention "Israel" or "Israeli" without it being preceded by "Enemy". Unless things have changed in the last 15 years, which I doubt.

Indy Coug 05-20-2008 07:45 PM

Many Palestinians voluntarily left their homes in anticipation of the Arab invasion that would crush the infant Israeli nation only to find out they picked the wrong side of that fight.