cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Wasatch Back Relay (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19743)

ThatSportsFan 05-28-2008 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 226089)
As for That Sports Fan, we scratched each other's backs. He wanted a team, and we needed one more team member. We're happy to have him. I'm just glad he's in the other car, so I don't have to try and keep up with him.

Ha ha ha. Try to keep up with me. I think you got that the other way around.

bluegoose 05-28-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpiney (Post 226059)
They would do fine or even better. My wife runs at a 9-10 minute pace right now, but that is 5 months pregnant.

She'll be running a 7:30 by this time next year, and she is very good with hills, so she can have them.

When my wife runs with one of her marathon friends, they do long runs at about 9:30 pace. Last Saturday we did a 5K and she finished just under 8:00 pace. The one time we went running together this winter we did about 10 miles at 8:15 pace.

I'm not sure about hills. If she is anything like me, she stinks at hills and loathes every second she has to fight gravity going up.

Venkman 05-28-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 226019)
Yeah, whatever, Mr. 3:20 marathon.

LOL, you must be thinking of someone else. Seriously, I'm too embarassed to post my Ogden Marathon time. I promise though, if invited on the team, I'll be a sub nine minute miler. Still pathetic, I know.

Archaea 05-28-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 226118)
LOL, you must be thinking of someone else. Seriously, I'm too embarassed to post my Ogden Marathon time. I promise though, if invited on the team, I'll be a sub nine minute miler. Still pathetic, I know.

It sounds fun, but once you add hills, anybody guaranteeing 7:30s is either damn fast or miscalculating. As far as working it, I like hills. As far as timing it, I hate hills.

bigpiney 05-29-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 226125)
It sounds fun, but once you add hills, anybody guaranteeing 7:30s is either damn fast or miscalculating. As far as working it, I like hills. As far as timing it, I hate hills.

With those hills I would be going 17:30.

Runner Coug 05-29-2008 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 226118)
Seriously, I'm too embarassed to post my Ogden Marathon time.

Unless you wussed out and quit without being injured, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. Not that I haven't had some race times that I will never divulge, but amongst us weekend warriors, finishing is all that matters.

Runner Coug 05-29-2008 12:59 AM

Quote:

As far as working it, I like hills. As far as timing it, I hate hills.

Well said. There's nothing like a nice hill to ruin a perfectly good run.

Venkman 05-29-2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

I'm certainly not guaranteeing 7:30's. Just to average 9's on hills I'd need to really kick it up a notch. My most recent uphill runs were more like 10:30's or so. But I think I could get there.

Venkman 05-29-2008 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 226149)
Unless you wussed out and quit without being injured, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. Not that I haven't had some race times that I will never divulge, but amongst us weekend warriors, finishing is all that matters.

Well I did alot of walking the last 3 or 4 miles, but my pride kicked in the last few blocks as the spectators increased and I managed a weak run/shuffle to the finish. You were right about that little hill at Ogden. Doesn't seem like much, but it really kicked my butt too. The Veyo hill at St. George was longer and steeper but I didn't have a problem with it. Maybe because it was early in the race.

Runner Coug 05-29-2008 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 226176)
Well I did alot of walking the last 3 or 4 miles, but my pride kicked in the last few blocks as the spectators increased and I managed a weak run/shuffle to the finish. You were right about that little hill at Ogden. Doesn't seem like much, but it really kicked my butt too. The Veyo hill at St. George was longer and steeper but I didn't have a problem with it. Maybe because it was early in the race.

Yeah, that hill is in a terrible place, especially if you start too fast. The one time I ran Ogden I made the mistake of going too fast in the first half. Wound up walking much of the Parkway portion, and ended up with a 3:56.