cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Canary in the mine? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19856)

BigFatMeanie 06-02-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 227518)
When I was new to Canada, I ordered a pizza with Canadian Bacon on it. The kid taking the order looked at me kind of funny and then shrugged and then said "Whatever".

10 minutes later they brought out a pizza covered with sauce, cheese and bacon. Not ham, but bacon. I suppose it could have been worse if they had put Sizzleen on it, but not much.

I'm sure you know by know that the proper term is "back bacon".

RC Vikings 06-02-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 227518)
When I was new to Canada, I ordered a pizza with Canadian Bacon on it. The kid taking the order looked at me kind of funny and then shrugged and then said "Whatever".

10 minutes later they brought out a pizza covered with sauce, cheese and bacon. Not ham, but bacon. I suppose it could have been worse if they had put Sizzleen on it, but not much.

On my two year field trip up there I did the same thing. I got the same look when we went to a members house for dinner and I asked them to pass me a napkin.

Flystripper 06-02-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 227600)
On my two year field trip up there I did the same thing. I got the same look when we went to a members house for dinner and I asked them to pass me a napkin.

My mom is Canadian and cursed me with with her vocabulary. I was thoroughly mocked when I would ask for a cerviette instead of a napkin in grade school. Just another reason to hate the French.

MikeWaters 06-02-2008 05:55 PM

People laughed at me when I mentioned that leg was asleep. Apparently the idiom doesn't translate directly.

SoCalCoug 06-02-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 227612)
People laughed at me when I mentioned that leg was asleep. Apparently the idiom doesn't translate directly.

Translates as "my penis is limp"?

UtahDan 06-02-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 227315)
Or perhaps the midwest folks are finally catching on that Olive Garden sucks?

The only chain Italian that I will do is Carrabas. I actually think it is quite good.

FMCoug 06-02-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 227739)
The only chain Italian that I will do is Carrabas. I actually think it is quite good.

I like Carrabas but I will also do Macaroni Grill and Johnny Carino's. They are both pretty good IMO.

bluegoose 06-02-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UtahDan (Post 227739)

Any discussion regarding Italian chain restaurants begins and ends with Fazolis.

FMCoug 06-02-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 227770)
Any discussion regarding Italian chain restaurants begins and ends with Fazolis.

Speaking of, I wonder what's for dinner tonight. The RS is bringing in meals for a few days. Last night we got the chicken enchilada casserole. So some sort of pasta casserole must be on its way in a day or two.

Haven't had funeral potatoes yet either.

il Padrino Ute 06-03-2008 02:03 AM

There is no such thing as a good Italian chain restaurant. They rank on the sucktitude scale thusly:

Worst
Olive Garden
Fazoli's

Awful
everything else

Now, Buca di Bepo is only acceptable because of decor. It looks like the inside of pretty much any home in Sicily. The food is bad, but the ambiance makes up for it.