cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ok I'll be the first to say it (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22007)

MikeWaters 08-31-2008 05:04 AM

actually, A&M loss makes me happy.

Jeff Lebowski 08-31-2008 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 259606)
actually, A&M loss makes me happy.

I thought so. That's why I mentioned it.

triz 08-31-2008 07:12 AM

My biggest disappointment was the offensive line. They couldn't open any holes against a FCS team. What are they going to do against the Pac-10? Any yards Unga got were pretty much on his own.

Obviously the fumbles were ridiculous, but that seems like an easier fix than the o-line issues.

myboynoah 08-31-2008 09:22 AM

The turnovers were very dissapointing. I wonder if Bronco's limited practice contact policy is to blame.

Without the turnovers this is a much bigger blowout than it was (two fumbles turned into TDs). Offense moved the ball at will, sometimes quite spectacularly. Pitta is a beast, as in UNgA. Everytime Max takes a shot, I cringe. He looked a bit loopy there for a minute.

Mike may be right about the LBs, but overall, the defense shut down UNI, NIU, or whatever they are called.

I watched a bit of Locker last night against Oregon. Very mobile and quite the rusher. His receivers dropped half the passes he threw to them. The guy scares me.

All-American 08-31-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myboynoah (Post 259630)
The turnovers were very dissapointing. I wonder if Bronco's limited practice contact policy is to blame.

Without the turnovers this is a much bigger blowout than it was (two fumbles turned into TDs). Offense moved the ball at will, sometimes quite spectacularly. Pitta is a beast, as in UNgA. Everytime Max takes a shot, I cringe. He looked a bit loopy there for a minute.

Mike may be right about the LBs, but overall, the defense shut down UNI, NIU, or whatever they are called.

I watched a bit of Locker last night against Oregon. Very mobile and quite the rusher. His receivers dropped half the passes he threw to them. The guy scares me.

Bronco mentioned the fumbles on the radio show last night, and looked at each one. He suggested that it probably wasn't a contact issue, so much as an issue of experience and touches. One fumble was JJ DiLuigi's first handoff in college. Another was to Wayne Latu, who has had fewer repetitions in spite of his seniority. A third was a quarterback-center exchange, with which contact has little to do. The fumble in the end zone on the quarterback hit . . . aggravating, but you generally don't let your team hit the quarterback anyway. A glaring protection issue, but I don't think contact in practice does much to help that either.

No contact in practice doesn't seem to have been a problem. Much more disconcerting, though, is the alacrity with which we have gone from having three solid running backs to no available running backs (when Harvey's ankle was being worked on in the third). How on earth did THAT happen?

livecoug 08-31-2008 02:58 PM

Did we have any running plays that didn't go to the outside? Did we even try to run up the gut?

MikeWaters 08-31-2008 03:03 PM

Wayne Latu looked awful. He looked like Tahi running east-west.

We are hurting big time at the RB position.

livecoug 08-31-2008 03:04 PM

The Tonga loss is a big one. Dude was a GREAT lead blocker and blitz picker upper.

UtahDan 08-31-2008 04:34 PM

Year after year after year after year BYU fans are victims of their own expectations. I don't ever remember hearing a BYU fan say "what a great season, much better than expected."

If it wasn't bad enough to have a National Championship looming in the collective memory, BYU's arch rival had to go and bust the BCS. If BYU fans could dial their expectations back to being top three in the conference and winning a bowl game they would enjoy the season much more. Then if anything in addition to that happens, it is a pleasant surprise. Instead, everything is a least a little disappointing.

What ever we Utes (and I mean those of us who didn't become fans for the first time during the UM era) can learn from you, this is something you could learn from us. I say this every year.