cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Greatest victory in state of Utah history. (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7235)

il Padrino Ute 03-26-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooblue (Post 67637)
No matter how hard y'all try, Yewta althetic accomplishments cannot not compare to a national championship.

It's what it is, can't be taken away, can't be dimished ... keep spouting the same smack over and over ... by the way, Urban Meyer won the Fiesta bowl -what team was he coaching again, the national media doesn't even care, they just know Urban won the game ;)

I'm not diminishing it at all. BYU did everything it had to do wo win the mythical national championship. And yes, it is mythical because it was determined by voters. That is a fact that can't be denied.

SteelBlue 03-26-2007 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 67780)
I'm not diminishing it at all. BYU did everything it had to do wo win the mythical national championship. And yes, it is mythical because it was determined by voters. That is a fact that can't be denied.

As it was every year.

il Padrino Ute 03-26-2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 67791)
As it was every year.

Exactly. Until Division I football finally catches up with the rest of the world of college sports, it's champion will always be mythical which is a sad thing.

Because the NCAA is all about money now, a football playoff would generate more money than the NCAA would know what to do with.

SeattleUte 03-27-2007 04:47 AM

Thanks all for contributing. I think this thread establishes that Utah's win over no. 1 ranked North Carolina in the 1998 Final Four was the greatest victory by any Utah team in any sport (edging out that same Utah team's win over no. 2 ranked and defending national champ Arizona a week before).

All-American 03-27-2007 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 67794)
Exactly. Until Division I football finally catches up with the rest of the world of college sports, it's champion will always be mythical which is a sad thing.

Because the NCAA is all about money now, a football playoff would generate more money than the NCAA would know what to do with.

And yet you referred to 1984 as the year of the mythical championship?

Nice.

All-American 03-27-2007 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 67888)
Thanks all for contributing. I think this thread establishes that Utah's win over no. 1 ranked North Carolina in the 1998 Final Four was the greatest victory by any Utah team in any sport (edging out that same Utah team's win over no. 2 ranked and defending national champ Arizona a week before).

Nah, I'll go with Miami.

And I actually have a decent reason why. Rankings don't matter in basketball. The fact that UNC was voted #1 meant absolutely nothing in a sport where the champion is determined on the court. It actually matters that Miami was ranked #1 when BYU beat them.

I do admit that at least part of the reason I'm responding such is out of beligerence.

il Padrino Ute 03-27-2007 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 67900)
And yet you referred to 1984 as the year of the mythical championship?

Nice.

Yes, I did. It was the year of the mythical championship. As was every year before and after.

My mistake was specifying BYU's mythical championship.

No worries, I'd like to have one for Utah.

All-American 03-27-2007 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 67903)
Yes, I did. It was the year of the mythical championship. As was every year before and after.

My mistake was specifying BYU's mythical championship.

No worries, I'd like to have one for Utah.

If that's how you felt, you would have referred to 1984 as "a year in an era of mythical championships." You don't get to weasle out of this one, mon frere.

il Padrino Ute 03-27-2007 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 67904)
If that's how you felt, you would have referred to 1984 as "a year in an era of mythical championships." You don't get to weasle out of this one, mon frere.

To quote Rocky "If that's what you want to believe, go ahead." ;)

All-American 03-27-2007 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 67905)
To quote Rocky "If that's what you want to believe, go ahead." ;)

Apostate.