cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   We're screwed (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25934)

ChinoCoug 07-08-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 306284)
Not recent, but the first of what I found about Economic Department rankings.

http://www.econphd.net/rank/rallec.htm

at 193 worldwide, we're probably the highest without graduate students.

Tex 07-08-2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 306263)
All right, then, but let's be consistent. If Obama now gets all of the blame for the bad economy, then Bush should get all of the blame for the worst attack upon American Soil since Pearl Harbor.

Heh, yeah. That's consistent.

ChinoCoug 07-08-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 306282)
I love BYU, or what it could be.

It has a good body of intelligent students, whom if guided properly could be motivated to do great things. Instead we often encourage them toward mediocrity so that they can remain in Happy Valley living ordinary lives and failing to bless the lives of our world.

Since Bushman, I have been quite discouraged with the direction of BYU. The current law school seems to have lost its direction, as opposed to its leadership under Hawkins and Rex Lee.

It just seems they wish to remain a glorified church seminary, promoting us to seek money but almost nothing else. Interesting irony.

How many years removed are you from graduation? That's what I thought. You have no clue what's going on.

Donate or shut up.

ChinoCoug 07-08-2009 08:22 PM

Here is a better measure of success for an undergraduate teaching institution:

Quote:

As a result, BYU economics students annually are admitted to the nation’s top PhD programs—not to mention business and law schools—and former BYU economics students teach on the faculties of universities such as Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Michigan, and Chicago.
http://magazine.byu.edu/?act=view&a=2074

Cali Coug 07-08-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 306286)
Heh, yeah. That's consistent.

The point, in case you missed it (and you clearly did), I believe is that Obama has been in office for less than 6 months and you are saying the economy is all his now. Bush was in office for a bit over 8 months when 9/11 occurred. Shouldn't that be all his too?

Alternatively, you could take the more honest position that responsibility cannot be allocated solely to one individual or party, but you won't.

Tex 07-08-2009 09:36 PM

FYI, I have no interest in discussing this with Cali. If AA chooses to weigh in again, I'll respond to him in turn.

Archaea 07-08-2009 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 306287)
How many years removed are you from graduation? That's what I thought. You have no clue what's going on.

Donate or shut up.

I follow much more closely than you would care to imagine, listen carefully to the public pronouncements from administration, speak to my several professor frineds and investigate the status of the several schools which interest me.

Ever since Bateman and Samuelson, BYU has suffered academically.

Archaea 07-08-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 306288)
Here is a better measure of success for an undergraduate teaching institution:

http://magazine.byu.edu/?act=view&a=2074

Wow, that's an impressive survey.

BYU has many excellent students. However, get back to me when Harvard's Economic Chair got her degree at BYU, the Economics Chair at London School of Economics is from BYU and the acting partners at the Wall Street institutions hail from BYU.

Our institution doesn't emphasize publishing enough, doesn't emphasize research enough and doesn't promote itself it enough. There should be a drive to move the school up in the rankings or move out. We need devoted Phd programs in all major disciplines and become a full spectrum university to take advantage of the general hard working students found in the midst.

All-American 07-09-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 306291)
FYI, I have no interest in discussing this with Cali. If AA chooses to weigh in again, I'll respond to him in turn.

Obama has been in office for less than 6 months and you are saying the economy is all his now. Bush was in office for a bit over 8 months when 9/11 occurred. Shouldn't that be all his too? :)

Now Tex, I'm generally on your side of these debates. I'd say I'm generally on your side in THIS debate. But it won't do to say that 9/11 was a problem Bush inherited from Clinton at the same time as arguing that Obama now bears all of the blame for the economy.

I don't put all of the blame on Bush for 9/11, and I don't think Obama should shoulder all of the blame for the lousy economy. In fact, my biggest criticism of Obama is that he thinks he can he can cure it. He'll spend trillions of dollars trying to right a ship that will right itself in due time if he'd just leave it alone. Watching him exert so much blunt force on so intricate a thing as the national economy is like watching an elephant try a flamenco dance. And he's bet trillions of dollars that it will work.

ChinoCoug 07-09-2009 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 306289)
The point, in case you missed it (and you clearly did), I believe is that Obama has been in office for less than 6 months and you are saying the economy is all his now. Bush was in office for a bit over 8 months when 9/11 occurred. Shouldn't that be all his too?

Alternatively, you could take the more honest position that responsibility cannot be allocated solely to one individual or party, but you won't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 306297)
Obama has been in office for less than 6 months and you are saying the economy is all his now. Bush was in office for a bit over 8 months when 9/11 occurred. Shouldn't that be all his too? :)

Now Tex, I'm generally on your side of these debates. I'd say I'm generally on your side in THIS debate. But it won't do to say that 9/11 was a problem Bush inherited from Clinton at the same time as arguing that Obama now bears all of the blame for the economy.

I don't put all of the blame on Bush for 9/11, and I don't think Obama should shoulder all of the blame for the lousy economy. In fact, my biggest criticism of Obama is that he thinks he can he can cure it. He'll spend trillions of dollars trying to right a ship that will right itself in due time if he'd just leave it alone. Watching him exert so much blunt force on so intricate a thing as the national economy is like watching an elephant try a flamenco dance. And he's bet trillions of dollars that it will work.

We're still pumping out students to the best law schools, right? Georgetown #14, NYU at #5?

ChinoCoug 07-09-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 306295)
Wow, that's an impressive survey.

BYU has many excellent students. However, get back to me when Harvard's Economic Chair got her degree at BYU, the Economics Chair at London School of Economics is from BYU and the acting partners at the Wall Street institutions hail from BYU.

Psst. Hello? Kim Clark, HBS Dean? The best economists teach at Business Schools cuz they pay more. Clark is an economist. Bateman himself was at the upper echelons of M&M Mars before BYU pulled him for the business school. Also an economist, MIT bred.

We send someone to the top program, MIT or Chicago every year, which should be our primary aim as a teaching school.

Archaea's next predictable response..."Talk to me when BYU becomes Ivy League."

Cali Coug 07-09-2009 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 306291)

Tired of losing?

All-American 07-09-2009 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 306298)
We're still pumping out students to the best law schools, right? Georgetown #14, NYU at #5?

Sorry to let you down. Chicago at #6. They offered me off of their wait list last month.

But yeah, BYU does very well at shipping their students off to other prestigious universities. We're a good feeder school. I think the regret is that we are not ourselves a prestigious university. We're shipping out great talent to other places instead of bringing in great talent from other places.

All-American 07-09-2009 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 306300)
Tired of losing?

That's probably not necessary.

Cali Coug 07-09-2009 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 306302)
That's probably not necessary.

Necessary? Clearly not. But he is. ;)

ChinoCoug 07-09-2009 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 306301)
Sorry to let you down. Chicago at #6. They offered me off of their wait list last month.

But yeah, BYU does very well at shipping their students off to other prestigious universities. We're a good feeder school. I think the regret is that we are not ourselves a prestigious university. We're shipping out great talent to other places instead of bringing in great talent from other places.

Chose Chicago for its ideological balance, yeah?

My home teacher is a recent Chicago law grad and a patent lawye. He did computer science as an undergrad at the Y.

The best part of Chicago law is that they mix economic analysis with EVERY COURSE. That is where the law and economics field was founded.

All-American 07-09-2009 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 306304)
Chose Chicago for its ideological balance, yeah?

My home teacher is a recent Chicago law grad and a patent lawye. He did computer science as an undergrad at the Y.

The best part of Chicago law is that they mix economic analysis with EVERY COURSE. That is where the law and economics field was founded.

Ideology wasn't really much of a deciding factor, to be honest. Chicago reportedly leans right and NYU left, but both schools insisted that they go to what lengths they can to ensure a balanced perspective, and I have no reason not to believe that they're telling the truth.

I did like the fact that Chicago has a smaller class size; 200 students per class, compared to NYU's 450. Mostly, I liked the feel of the school. I walked around the campus of the university and thought to myself, "So THIS is what a real university looks like." Ivy covered walls, vaunted halls and gothic architecture-- it just feels like you're going to a world-class institution. The guys at NYU would point out that NYU is as good as any school out there, and so I might as well go live in New York City. They're probably right. But while NYU is as good as anybody else, Chicago is like nobody else.

Plus, Notre Dame is less than an hour away by train. I've got a buddy who says he'll get me a ticket.

Archaea 07-09-2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 306299)
Psst. Hello? Kim Clark, HBS Dean? The best economists teach at Business Schools cuz they pay more. Clark is an economist. Bateman himself was at the upper echelons of M&M Mars before BYU pulled him for the business school. Also an economist, MIT bred.

We send someone to the top program, MIT or Chicago every year, which should be our primary aim as a teaching school.

Archaea's next predictable response..."Talk to me when BYU becomes Ivy League."

You don't get it. BYU has some great students but we don't have many great programs.

So BYU doesn't have a name in much of anything and with its student body and potential for endowment it should. We need more Ira Fultons before that will happen.

Bateman did more to stifle true economic freedom than anybody since Ernie Wilkinson with his famous student spy network.

Samuelson hasn't done anything to foster it either.

BYU is failing in becoming a great university which is its rightful place in society. And it's due to the parochial and provincial attitude of its administrators.

You may be pleased as BYU lauds itself, but I am not. What's wrong with alumnae wanting BYU to be perceived on par with the Ivy League. It's not likely to happen in my lifetime or in yours, but what's wrong with that as a goal? I get the idea Samuelson's goal is to make it on par with UVSC.

ChinoCoug 07-09-2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 306306)
You don't get it. BYU has some great students but we don't have many great programs.

If you don't need to know BYU has great students, don't ask me for them.

Quote:

Bateman did more to stifle true economic freedom than anybody since Ernie Wilkinson with his famous student spy network.

Samuelson hasn't done anything to foster it either.
true economic freedom? wtf?

Quote:

What's wrong with alumnae wanting BYU to be perceived on par with the Ivy League. It's not likely to happen in my lifetime or in yours, but what's wrong with that as a goal? I get the idea Samuelson's goal is to make it on par with UVSC.
You liberal arts softies need to look at the data. Our rankings have been on an upward climb since Bateman took over. It's dropped in the last couple of years, but rankings are a noisy time series.

Becoming ivy league is a waste of resources. That's not what we're designed to do. You can use a spoon to dig a tunnel from England to France if you want. We will always be known as a brand name feeder to the best grad programs.

There hasn't been censorship, except in the religion department, or maybe in some humanities department college raters don't care about. But it's irrelevant anyway; there are so many obstacles to uncovering truth in the humanities, academic freedom isn't' gonna make a difference.

You the take the lid off censorship in order to get better professors, and you'll lose your identity like every other religious university in this country has.

Archaea 07-09-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 306313)
If you don't need to know BYU has great students, don't ask me for them.

true economic freedom? wtf?

You liberal arts softies need to look at the data. Our rankings have been on an upward climb since Bateman took over. It's dropped in the last couple of years, but rankings are a noisy time series.

Becoming ivy league is a waste of resources. That's not what we're designed to do. You can use a spoon to dig a tunnel from England to France if you want. We will always be known as a brand name feeder to the best grad programs.

There hasn't been censorship, except in the religion department, or maybe in some humanities department college raters don't care about. But it's irrelevant anyway; there are so many obstacles to uncovering truth in the humanities, academic freedom isn't' gonna make a difference.

You the take the lid off censorship in order to get better professors, and you'll lose your identity like every other religious university in this country has.

It's risen but it's fallen recently. Nice spin, Mr. Mullah.

If we're not a top ten in all departments we choose to field, what are we doing having such a department?

ChinoCoug 07-09-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 306315)
It's risen but it's fallen recently. Nice spin, Mr. Mullah.

If we're not a top ten in all departments we choose to field, what are we doing having such a department?

Let me explain noisy time series to you. This is a noisy time series:

1,2,3,4,5,6,5,4,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,9,9,10,11,12,13,1 4,15.

Do you get it now? Moves up and down but the long-term trend is up?

Sorry, Mullahs have to be Republican.

Archaea 07-09-2009 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 306316)
Let me explain noisy time series to you. This is a noisy time series:

1,2,3,4,5,6,5,4,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,9,9,10,11,12,13,1 4,15.

Do you get it now? Moves up and down but the long-term trend is up?

Sorry, Mullahs have to be Republican.

I understand "noise" Mr. Arrogant asshole, but I don't think it's noise, I think it's a reversal trend due to poor policies being felt by having GAs, not administrators as heads of the university.

SeattleUte 07-09-2009 09:49 PM

Chino is an idiot. Debating him is a fool's errand. Chino, what do you do at John's Hopkins? Clean toilets? Are you some kind of a Ginea Pig?

Archaea 07-09-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 306318)
Chino is an idiot. Debating him is a fool's errand. Chino, what do you do at John's Hopkins? Clean toilets? Are you some kind of a Ginea Pig?

He is not an idiot but mullah who reconciled according to his own preconceptions. In fact, it is quite difficult and intellectually challenging to support the party line no matter what.

ChinoCoug 07-09-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 306317)
I understand "noise" Mr. Arrogant asshole, but I don't think it's noise, I think it's a reversal trend due to poor policies being felt by having GAs, not administrators as heads of the university.

You "think." I've got plenty of evidence this is not so.

1. Bateman is an administrator, he's been a Fortune 500 administrator all his life.
2. He raised a ton of money, which is what most University presidents are hired to do these days. . And that's huge component of college ratings. Dang lucky we have an economist at the helm.
3. He got people to graduate earlier, kicking up our artificially low deflated retention rate, another huge component of rankings.
4. Our ratings went up during Bateman's tenure, because, well, they went up, duh.

Archaea 07-10-2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 306320)
You "think." I've got plenty of evidence this is not so.

1. Bateman is an administrator, he's been a Fortune 500 administrator all his life.
2. He raised a ton of money, which is what most University presidents are hired to do these days. . And that's huge component of college ratings. Dang lucky we have an economist at the helm.
3. He got people to graduate earlier, kicking up our artificially low deflated retention rate, another huge component of rankings.
4. Our ratings went up during Bateman's tenure, because, well, they went up, duh.

Being an administrator of business is not the same as being an administration in eduction, in fact they are quite different. Plus, it was the Mullah attitude he employed against faculty that bothered me mostly.

We could ask many questions to this but we don't know the factors. Did they go up because of matters initiated by the previous administration?

Tex 10-07-2009 04:16 PM

http://michaelscomments.files.wordpr...ember-dots.gif

Tex 11-06-2009 06:33 PM

http://michaelscomments.files.wordpr...tober-dots.gif

MikeWaters 11-06-2009 10:49 PM

Notice how the unemployment data points are red. That is because they are Bush's fault.

Archaea 11-06-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 307968)
Notice how the unemployment data points are red. That is because they are Bush's fault.

The really fun part of this exercise is supporters of Obama will sluff off any failure as Bush's fault. When Bush did that for Clinton, it was considered ludicrous, but now that Obama is in power, Bush is the Boogeyman.

Obama is a teflon man as the media is giving him a free pass.

RedHeadGal 11-07-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 307970)
The really fun part of this exercise is supporters of Obama will sluff off any failure as Bush's fault. When Bush did that for Clinton, it was considered ludicrous, but now that Obama is in power, Bush is the Boogeyman.

Obama is a teflon man as the media is giving him a free pass.

The free pass thing is ludicrous. For the most part, any benefit he gets is based on the fact that we realize we couldn't expect instant results to the tough situation he inherited. Yes, he did inherit, whether you want to attribute that to Bush or Bush and Clinton and on back. That's just the way it goes. All new presidents have to balance being responsible for their own adminstaration with the fact that they are still affected by the choices of the past. Our patience recedes with time, of course, because the effect of the past becomes less in that balance.

Oh, and that chart--what it doesn't say (indeed, what it cannot say) is what the effect would have been without any measures Obama has taken. The projections were wrong? Big deal. Maybe things are better than they would have been. Maybe not. We don't know, which is why that chart is so meaningless.

Tex 11-07-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 307976)
The free pass thing is ludicrous. For the most part, any benefit he gets is based on the fact that we realize we couldn't expect instant results to the tough situation he inherited. Yes, he did inherit, whether you want to attribute that to Bush or Bush and Clinton and on back. That's just the way it goes. All new presidents have to balance being responsible for their own adminstaration with the fact that they are still affected by the choices of the past. Our patience recedes with time, of course, because the effect of the past becomes less in that balance.

Oh, and that chart--what it doesn't say (indeed, what it cannot say) is what the effect would have been without any measures Obama has taken. The projections were wrong? Big deal. Maybe things are better than they would have been. Maybe not. We don't know, which is why that chart is so meaningless.

Nonsense. Blaming Bush is politically silly at this point. People are slowing staring to realize this, and it's reflected in the polls. What, has a mannequin been in the Oval Office for the last 9 months? Did a robot sign that massive "stimulus" bill?

That chart is meaningful precisely because it demonstrates how woefully this administration underestimated the recession, and how Candyland their solution has been. Presidents don't get the benefit of some mythical well-we-don't-really-know standard. We can only judge them based on what they say, and what they do. By that measure, Obama's policies have been a failure: they failed to produce anything close to what was promised.

The fact that the administration has resorted to pointing to a mythical "jobs saved" figure, which has since proven to be a pretty questionable number, demonstrates this all the more.

RedHeadGal 11-08-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 307979)
Nonsense. Blaming Bush is politically silly at this point. People are slowing staring to realize this, and it's reflected in the polls. What, has a mannequin been in the Oval Office for the last 9 months? Did a robot sign that massive "stimulus" bill?

YOu do realize (ha, as if!), of course, that you just pretty much repeated what I said in a mean-spirited way, and from a right-wing biased way. I said, that politicians inherit, and the more time goes on, the less thy can point blame on the inheritance, which it why your precious polls would indicate a growing realization of that fact.

Archaea 11-08-2009 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 307976)

If Bush were in a similar situation, he wouldn't be treated so kindly. Bush never received the favorbable treatment Obama receives. The press would do the country a favor by taking the gloves off and begin pummeling him like they did Bush.

Cali Coug 11-09-2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 307979)

That chart is meaningful precisely because it demonstrates how woefully this administration underestimated the recession, and how Candyland their solution has been. Presidents don't get the benefit of some mythical well-we-don't-really-know standard. We can only judge them based on what they say, and what they do. By that measure, Obama's policies have been a failure: they failed to produce anything close to what was promised.

The fact that the administration has resorted to pointing to a mythical "jobs saved" figure, which has since proven to be a pretty questionable number, demonstrates this all the more.

Virtually every economist agrees that the stimulus package helped accelerate the recovery much quicker than it otherwise would have, and slowed job loss significantly. In fact, the portion of the stimulus that economists largely agreed to have been pointless was the tax cut, which the Dems opposed and Republicans demanded. Ironic. Particularly now that Republicans are screaming that the stimulus wasn't efficient enough.

You are like a fan going into the lockerroom at halftime and telling the players what a crappy plan they have, what a terrible leader they have, and how they can't win the game no matter what they do, and it won't inspire anyone.

It certainly doesn't win the game.

Archaea 11-09-2009 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 307987)
Virtually every economist agrees that the stimulus package helped accelerate the recovery much quicker than it otherwise would have, and slowed job loss significantly. In fact, the portion of the stimulus that economists largely agreed to have been pointless was the tax cut, which the Dems opposed and Republicans demanded. Ironic. Particularly now that Republicans are screaming that the stimulus wasn't efficient enough.

You are like a fan going into the lockerroom at halftime and telling the players what a crappy plan they have, what a terrible leader they have, and how they can't win the game no matter what they do, and it won't inspire anyone.

Virtually every economist alive is a Democrat, so bias is showing. BTW, I love this form of logical fallacy but keep it up, dude.

There is no recovery. I love how people in the media are proclaiming a recovery that people on the streets are not experincing. Yes you may show so fancied up data showing this and that, but the man on the street hasn't experienced a rehire or an increased wage.

There is no recovery. Mark my words, come April when we're faced with soaring interest rates because nobody will buy our T bills. The pain and agony has just begun. The spending spree will just cause us to tailspin further down.

Cali Coug 11-09-2009 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 307989)
Virtually every economist alive is a Democrat, so bias is showing. BTW, I love this form of logical fallacy but keep it up, dude.

There is no recovery. I love how people in the media are proclaiming a recovery that people on the streets are not experincing. Yes you may show so fancied up data showing this and that, but the man on the street hasn't experienced a rehire or an increased wage.

There is no recovery. Mark my words, come April when we're faced with soaring interest rates because nobody will buy our T bills. The pain and agony has just begun. The spending spree will just cause us to tailspin further down.

Logical fallacy? And "virtually every economist alive is a Democrat?" This is so silly I don't even know where to begin. Have you ever heard of the Chicago school?

Tex 11-09-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 307983)
YOu do realize (ha, as if!), of course, that you just pretty much repeated what I said in a mean-spirited way, and from a right-wing biased way. I said, that politicians inherit, and the more time goes on, the less thy can point blame on the inheritance, which it why your precious polls would indicate a growing realization of that fact.

Except that you prefaced your comments with "the free pass thing is ludicrous." While we agree that a president's early legacy is a mix of his own policies with those of his predecessor's, I suspect that you are willing to give Obama a great deal more rope than he deserves. As are the media, of course.

Tex 11-09-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

An appeal to the mythical majority.

Quote:

I would be thrilled to see the economy recover in full. I benefit in every way possible by a thriving economy. Unfortunately I think Obama has demonstrated how economically ham-handed he is, and he's only making things worse, particularly in the long run.

Tex 11-17-2009 02:39 PM

I wonder if the angry Lefties would consider this "lying":

Quote:

Here's a stimulus success story: In Arizona's 15th congressional district, 30 jobs have been saved or created with just $761,420 in federal stimulus spending. At least that's what the Web site set up by the Obama administration to track the $787 billion stimulus says.

There's one problem, though: There is no 15th congressional district in Arizona; the state has only eight districts.

And ABC News has found many more entries for projects like this in places that are incorrectly identified.
Via Drudge.