cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   "The Spirit has been present here today." (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18498)

Archaea 04-15-2008 04:07 PM

As a caveat, I will note my attitude toward mundane Church lessons could be better.

However, after having been through the rotation so many times, it is becoming very rote. And we have some decent teachers.

To address this, I simply bring books that interest me on religious topics to read them. I will have read the current lesson in its entirety before class so my wife can't complain that I "don't even know what they are talking about."

It's function having been there, done that, that makes the routine less exciting.

Indy Coug 04-15-2008 04:08 PM

I find that studying the scriptures as little as possible helps keep the Gospel Doctrine class rotation as fresh as possible every 4 years.

Archaea 04-15-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 208954)
I find that studying the scriptures as little as possible helps keep the Gospel Doctrine class rotation as fresh as possible every 4 years.

That seems to be the routine of most of the class members.

But they make certain to keep their pet stories ready to tell upon a moment's notice.

Tex 04-15-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 208944)
I don't think this is necessarily fair. It's been hard for me, recently, to really feel the spirit when I'm trying to keep my 8-month-old from disrupting the class any more than is necessary. And that has nothing to do with attitude.

I've also had teachers who were simply so bloody boring I couldn't listen to them for more than a few minutes before my mind started wandering. It's tough to feel the spirit frequently in that environment as well.

I was only speaking generally of someone who habitually gets nothing out of 90% of the Sacrament meetings he attends. There are obviously always mitigating circumstances.

Archaea 04-15-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 208963)
I was only speaking generally of someone who habitually gets nothing out of 90% of the Sacrament meetings he attends. There are obviously always mitigating circumstances.

One can always get something out of the ordinance of the sacrament, but after that, there are no guarantees.

exUte 04-15-2008 04:28 PM

The spirit has been here today..........

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 208474)
Sometimes I worry about these kinds of statements, esp. with young women and men, who may have felt nothing, and then feel like they just don't get it or can't get it.

I think it's much better to say "I felt the Spirit here today." And not make assumptions.

certainly for the person speaking. I think we are parsing words.