cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Top Ten Most Offensive Statements By LDS Church Leaders (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17027)

woot 02-22-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 188040)
I would feel restraint because so many of those comments are either incorrect, senseless, ignorant, worthless, etc - they also might offend some weak-minded individuals.

Those would be some of the many reasons I wouldn't "feel restraint in parroting any of that nonsense".

So you're not offended by ignorance, falsity, senselessness, worthlessness, stupidity, racism, sexism, hypocrisy, etc? If you saw a televised broadcast of the Tanners talking about how evil Mormons are you wouldn't be offended? You have a strange concept of what it means to be offended.

MikeWaters 02-22-2008 05:28 PM

These quotes are awesome because it deflates the mullahs like nothing else.

I mean, when someone says that the Brethren were very sorrowful that blacks were still not being allowed to have the priesthood by Jesus Christ himself, I only have to trot out the Delbert Stapely letter. Argument over.

SoonerCoug 02-22-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 188041)
that comment is just about as laughable as those made by BY, Mark Peterson, McConkie, etc.

Laughable, ignorant, stupid - but certainly not offensive. But nice try.

You say the quotes shouldn't be offensive because they're old. Stupid defense. And defending racism makes you a racist.

Indy Coug 02-22-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woot (Post 188045)
So you're not offended by ignorance, falsity, senselessness, worthlessness, stupidity, racism, sexism, hypocrisy, etc? If you saw a televised broadcast of the Tanners talking about how evil Mormons are you wouldn't be offended? You have a strange concept of what it means to be offended.

Is our church and its members accurately defined by these quotes? Is it an integral part of who we are now and how we treat our fellow man now?

Solon 02-22-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 188035)
Hey if you choose to take offense, that's your problem. I'm not going to let some ignorant comments made by some dude 125 years ago offend me. It simply isn't worth it.

While I'm not a big fan of presentist judgment of the past, the 1960s aren't exactly ancient history. The effects of these beliefs and comments continue to plague the LDS church. Whether or not you believe in the LDS church, the ideas espoused in these comments are extremely offensive - especially since contemporary LDS leaders have not made a serious effort to repudiate them. That's inarguable, whether or not you "choose" to be offended.

You admit that the comments are "ignorant," but that word seems too tame to me. Would you prefer to describe this list as "extraordinarily and disgustingly repugnant" instead of "offensive"?

smokymountainrain 02-22-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottie (Post 188044)
Obviously one can choose not to be offended by something, but like Woot brought up that doesn't make a comment un-offensive. I'm not easily offended but much either, but I can't understand how a black or an American Indian or homosexual would feel about those comments.

If I try to put myself in the shoes of a black man or a homosexual, I would certainly look at those statements as moronic and coming from a bunch of buffoons, but I hope I wouldn't take offense. It wouldn't be worth it.

SoonerCoug 02-22-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 188050)
Is our church and its members accurately defined by these quotes? Is it an integral part of who we are now and how we treat our fellow man now?

Our past defines us, too. Maybe the past is less important than the present, but our racist past needs to be publicly denounced by Church leaders and also by the average member.

smokymountainrain 02-22-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 188047)
You say the quotes shouldn't be offensive because they're old. Stupid defense. And defending racism makes you a racist.

Maybe you can show me where I've defended racism. I'm not seeing it or remembering it.

woot 02-22-2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 188050)

That's not for me to say, but I assume there are at least a few people who tempered their ardor for the wisdom of the prophets after seeing how often they're dead wrong on basic moral issues. Some say that there is a significant amount of racism and sexism in the church, and there's no question there's a ton of anti-gay sentiment. Whether ignoring the heritage of your religion is wise is up to the individual, I reckon.

SoonerCoug 02-22-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 188055)
Maybe you can show me where I've defended racism. I'm not seeing it or remembering it.

You said that the quotes were ignorant. They are much more than ignorant. They're racist. That kind of euphemism is a blatant defense.