cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Has Landpoke or anyone else read (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20129)

marsupial 06-11-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 230819)
Depends. If you come in and tell us we're doing it all wrong and back in Texas/California/Africa we did it this way which is much better and you're all a bunch of know-nothing inbreds because you live in Wyoming and we'll tell you what's best for you, well that might not go over too well

My brother lives in Wyoming. He grew up in California, lived in Nevada and Utah, but tells people he is from Nevada because apparently that's a more acceptable place to be from according to the Wyomingites he encounters.

MikeWaters 06-11-2008 06:13 PM

I could never tell them I was from Texas. Instant inferiorty complex on their part.

landpoke 06-11-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 230925)
I could never tell them I was from Texas. Instant inferiorty complex on their part.

"Maybe the less you have, the more you are required to boast"
John Steinbeck
East of Eden

For some reason that quote always evokes Texas for me.

creekster 06-11-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 230921)
I like Abbey's non-fiction a lot and Solitaire is one of my favorite books. His fiction is just so-so.

I agree completely. I keep an extra copy of desert solitaire in my office to give to local coastal californians if they seem to want to understand the western mind. Abbey's fiction (e.g. Monkey Wrench Gang) is just so-so.

landpoke 06-14-2008 04:21 AM

I received my copy today and it's not looking good. Beyond the fact that I've had a few, this book is dripping condescension such that I'm finding I need to constantly wipe my hands. I'll have a report by the end of the weekend.

Solon 06-14-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 231999)
I received my copy today and it's not looking good. Beyond the fact that I've had a few, this book is dripping condescension such that I'm finding I need to constantly wipe my hands. I'll have a report by the end of the weekend.

How the hell did you get your copy already? The carrier pigeon that delivers mail to my shitsplat town won't be in for another week or so.

landpoke 06-14-2008 02:07 PM

The wife bought some sort of Amazon membership whereby we get second day delivery on everything we order at no extra cost. Well, other than the membership costs, the sum of which I don't know.

Jeff Lebowski 06-14-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 232023)
The wife bought some sort of Amazon membership whereby we get second day delivery on everything we order at no extra cost. Well, other than the membership costs, the sum of which I don't know.

Amazon Prime. It's great.

landpoke 06-15-2008 09:39 PM

Ms. Fuller seems to have a pretty low opinion of the dominant social/religious group in Utah, calling you all "fanatical" and "half-crazy."

Jeff Lebowski 06-15-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 232151)
Ms. Fuller seems to have a pretty low opinion of the dominant social/religious group in Utah, calling you all "fanatical" and "half-crazy."

Of course we are.