cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   We're screwed (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25934)

Archaea 11-17-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 307992)
Logical fallacy? And "virtually every economist alive is a Democrat?" This is so silly I don't even know where to begin. Have you ever heard of the Chicago school?

We've had links here and Pelagius has confirmed that in most teaching departments studies show the party affiliation is between 80 to 90 percent of economists belonging to the Democratic Party. As a soft science, and with the built-in biases, I tend to enjoy the rhetoric of economists, but in the macro sense, they don't tend to predict better than anybody else.

It's not a logical fallacy when it's been demonstrated that the vast majority quoted to support something also belong to one party where the rhetoric is unbalanced.

Archaea 11-17-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 308190)
I wonder if the angry Lefties would consider this "lying":

Via Drudge.

That's hilarious.

As a product of the corrupt Chicago organization, it does not surprise me that Obamacans lie like a drunken sailor spends money, but some of it is downright entertaining.

Cali Coug 11-17-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 308194)
That's hilarious.

As a product of the corrupt Chicago organization, it does not surprise me that Obamacans lie like a drunken sailor spends money, but some of it is downright entertaining.

If it is something more than just a typo, it is shameful. Time will tell.

ChinoCoug 11-17-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 308193)
We've had links here and Pelagius has confirmed that in most teaching departments studies show the party affiliation is between 80 to 90 percent of economists belonging to the Democratic Party. As a soft science, and with the built-in biases, I tend to enjoy the rhetoric of economists, but in the macro sense, they don't tend to predict better than anybody else.

It's not a logical fallacy when it's been demonstrated that the vast majority quoted to support something also belong to one party where the rhetoric is unbalanced.

What are you talking about dude? Economics is much more conservative than the social sciences. The predictive ability in economics is greater than that of any of the social sciences, and it's not even close, as evidenced by the explosion in demand for economist by private-sector firms.

ChinoCoug 11-17-2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 308193)
We've had links here and Pelagius has confirmed that in most teaching departments studies show the party affiliation is between 80 to 90 percent of economists belonging to the Democratic Party.

more like 60%.

Archaea 11-17-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 308196)
What are you talking about dude? Economics is much more conservative than the social sciences. The predictive ability in economics is greater than that of any of the social sciences, and it's not even close, as evidenced by the explosion in demand for economist by private-sector firms.

You know full well economists in academic departments are principally Democratic in their philosophy.

And look at the absurd predictions coming from the CBO, and tell me those prognostications are accurate.

Tex 11-17-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 308195)
If it is something more than just a typo, it is shameful. Time will tell.

Sure are a whole lot of "typos" in that report. Maybe the admin should hire a few of the AP's eleven Palin-dedicated fact checkers to help them out.

Archaea 11-17-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 308197)
more like 60%.

I suppose you have a reference point for that. And other than some outdated journals and my recollection of Pelagius who actually works presently in the field. I remember his citing a study showing an 80 percent disparity.

Cali Coug 11-17-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 308198)
You know full well economists in academic departments are principally Democratic in their philosophy.

And look at the absurd predictions coming from the CBO, and tell me those prognostications are accurate.

Are you talking about all economists, or economists in universities? If the former, I don't buy for a second that 60% are Democrats.

Archaea 11-17-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 308202)
Are you talking about all economists, or economists in universities? If the former, I don't buy for a second that 60% are Democrats.

I'm speaking about the university level Democrats accounting for 80 percent, which what I believe was Pelagius's number.

ChinoCoug 11-17-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 308202)

You are right.

Business economists go for GOP.

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/searc...sts+go+for+gop

ChinoCoug 11-17-2009 08:02 PM

Studying economics makes people more conservative!

http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2006/...servative.html

ChinoCoug 11-17-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 308205)
I'm speaking about the university level Democrats accounting for 80 percent, which what I believe was Pelagius's number.

academic economists:

58% Democrat
23% Republican

http://www2.sofi.su.se/wp/WP06-6.pdf

Archaea 11-17-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 308209)
academic economists:

58% Democrat
23% Republican

http://www2.sofi.su.se/wp/WP06-6.pdf

The three to one ratio doesn't surprise me. Where in the Swedish paper can I find the support? I don't feel like looking for it.

Archaea 11-17-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 308212)
The three to one ratio doesn't surprise me. Where in the Swedish paper can I find the support? I don't feel like looking for it.

Check out the ratios here.

http://www.ratio.se/pdf/wp/dk_aw_voter.pdf

Tex 11-17-2009 08:30 PM

I just have to interject here: there is some wonderful unintentional comedy in watching you guys fall over yourselves debating Cali's completely irrelevant assertion that "virtually every" economist thinks Obama has accelerated recovery and slowed job losses.

I guess Noriel Roubini is in the minority.

Sorry to interrupt. Do carry on.

ChinoCoug 11-17-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 308213)

Absolutely nuts. I'm suprised how many depts have 0 Republicans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 308212)

p. 6

ChinoCoug 11-17-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 308214)
I just have to interject here: there is some wonderful unintentional comedy in watching you guys fall over yourselves debating Cali's completely irrelevant assertion that "virtually every" economist thinks Obama has accelerated recovery and slowed job losses.

I guess Noriel Roubini is in the minority.

Sorry to interrupt. Do carry on.

Goodness gracious Tex, finish reading your own links.

Quote:

There's really just one hope for our leaders to turn things around: a bold prescription that increases the fiscal stimulus with another round of labor-intensive, shovel-ready infrastructure projects, helps fiscally strapped state and local governments and provides a temporary tax credit to the private sector to hire more workers.
He's saying we need more of the same because the first stimulus was insufficient.

Archaea 11-17-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 308216)
Absolutely nuts. I'm suprised how many depts have 0 Republicans.

The others noted that a 2 to 1 ratio is grave cause for concern but a 5 to 1 ratio marginalizes the minority too significantly.

And as you noted, many departments had ZERO Republicans. Talk about experiencing a variety of ideas.

The Green Party is represented disproportionately and the Libertarians aren't even represented at all.

Archaea 11-17-2009 09:19 PM

Note this comment, on page 24,

Quote:

Some might suggest that Berkeley and Stanford are non-representative, because the San Francisco Bay Area is significantly more Democratic that the national average. We suspect that this point deserves some weight. However, we doubt that geography has very much to do with the intellectual character of academics and researchers. By self-sorting, training, and professional immersion, they identify (intellectually) primarily with their discipline, not their institution or their locale, and the “invisible college” of their respective disciplines cuts laterally across geography. The Klein & Stern survey evidence helps to mount a general case that all academic disciplines, including economics, range from predominately to rock-solidly Democratic.
and the following observation:

Quote:

The meaning of lopsidedness for university life is a topic for another occasion. Here we offer a single point: University governance consists primarily of departmental autonomy, and departments operate on the basis of majoritarianism (and to a small extent chair prerogative). A ratio of even 2 to 1 is deadly to the minority. A ratio of 5 to 1 means marginalization. Someone of a minority viewpoint is dependent frequently on the cooperation of her departmental colleagues for many small considerations.

7 CSPC’s report (Horowitz and Lehrer 2002) included findings uniformly across all schools for six departments: economics, English, history, philosophy, political science, and sociology, while their Berkeley and Stanford datasets in Excel files (obtained from Mr. Andrew Jones) also include Civil and Environmental Engineering. For all seven departments, our study arrives at a one-big-pool ratio for Berkeley of 13.6 to 1, versus CSPC’s 8.1 to 1, and for Stanford 8.2 to 1, versus CSPC’s 9.6 to 1. On a department by department basis, in 10 cases our D to R ratio was greater than CSPC’s, and in four cases theirs was greater (this counts 17-to-0 as greater than 14-to-0). The data generally match up, except that ours more reliably obtained a reading, and that the lists differed somewhat. Because our investigation was conducted two years after CSPC’s, discrepancies need not be indicative of error.

Lopsidedness means that dissenters are avoided or expelled, and that any who survive are very unlikely to be vocal critics of the dominant viewpoints.
These facts are inherently important. Academia is a major part of the political culture; it profoundly influences how tens of millions of Americans will understand social affairs and, indeed, their own personal selfhood. The next step, then, is full awareness. All interested parties—students, parents, taxpayers, and the faculty themselves—should become aware of the facts.

Tex 11-17-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 308218)
Goodness gracious Tex, finish reading your own links.

He's saying we need more of the same because the first stimulus was insufficient.

Right, because the first one worked so well. Or maybe I missed that part: did he say the first stimulus accelerated the recovery and saved jobs? Is that what you read?

ChinoCoug 11-17-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 308225)
Right, because the first one worked so well. Or maybe I missed that part: did he say the first stimulus accelerated the recovery and saved jobs? Is that what you read?

Why would he ask for a second one if the first one didn't do anything?

Archaea 11-17-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 308225)

the philosophy is rather simple actually. More money has been spewing into the economy, but I don't notice any appreciable differences, but then again, I didn't participate in cash for clunkers, or didn't qualify as a first time home buyer, so those areas aren't affecting me or more clientele.

On one hand the Keynsians believe the government must inflate the economy by spewing money into it so that it doesn't spiral down further and if they pull the plug too soon it will deflate any way. That's what they argue in short.

On the other hand, that theory doesn't address whether the economy is capable of sustaining itself ever under this model, and what happens to inflation and how will the taxpayers afford the spending spree.

My observation is that this spiral is in large part systemic, our economic structure is rotting at the core, so any spending is artificial and will extend the length of recovery. The longer you delay hitting bottom, the longer it will take to get out of the trough.

It doesn't also address the problems with T Bills and taxation.

Tex 11-17-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 308226)
Why would he ask for a second one if the first one didn't do anything?

That would be my question to him. But you're welcome to answer it in his place.

You'd think if we're looking at double-digit inflation for the next 2 years (as he asserts we are) after already pumping $800B give-or-take into the economy, that might give a guy some pause in recommending we spend more.

Either way, reading his article, it's hard to make a case for how Obama's policies have sped up recovery and saved jobs. Unless of course one decides to just make up a "saved jobs" number, but Obama would never do that.

Archaea 11-17-2009 10:01 PM

The questions which economists have not answered satisfactorily, is how to kickstart the economy to have internal, not government spending external, incentives to grow.

The super smart economists Chino and California love to believe in seem to believe if you spend a lot of money for a very long time, (a) it won't hurt to pay it back, (b) dollar devaluation is no problem in the grand scheme of things, and (c) there will be no dive once the faucet of the government spending is turned off and taxes go sky high.

ChinoCoug 11-17-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 308223)
Note this comment, on page 24,

and the following observation:

Quote:

The Klein & Stern survey evidence helps to mount a general case that all academic disciplines, including economics, range from predominately to rock-solidly Democratic.
That they singled out economics just highlights that they expect it to be more conservative.

Quote:

These facts are inherently important. Academia is a major part of the political culture; it profoundly influences how tens of millions of Americans will understand social affairs and, indeed, their own personal selfhood.
The two intro econ classes at Harvard are taught by Republicans. I believe 50% of all the superstars are Republican (which itself is a symptom of discrimination; you have to be a superstar to survive if you're pub).

In any case, as an undergrad, I'd say about 80% of the models we studied showed that the free market equilibrium was the best solution. So teacher ideology matters less when everything is mathematicized.

Archaea 11-17-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 308228)

You'd think if we're looking at double-digit inflation for the next 2 years (as he asserts we are) after already pumping $800B give-or-take into the economy, that might give a guy some pause in recommending we spend more.

Either way, reading his article, it's hard to make a case for how Obama's policies have sped up recovery and saved jobs. Unless of course one decides to just make up a "saved jobs" number, but Obama would never do that.

My question with the stimulus or any type of Keynsian economics is how you improve capital items, infrastructure and create internal stimulus.

Right now, consumer confidence in a better tomorrow is at an all time low. The internal stimulus isn't there.

Part of the malaise is actually good. We need to start saving a lot more of our earnings.

and industry needs the ability to invest in better means of production. China is building new, high quality factories and means of production. The investment is so significant, we don't have the ability to catch up if we don't start.

Archaea 11-17-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 308230)
That they singled out economics just highlights that they expect it to be more conservative.

The two intro econ classes at Harvard are taught by Republicans. I believe 50% of all the superstars are Republican (which itself is a symptom of discrimination; you have to be a superstar to survive if you're pub).

In any case, as an undergrad, I'd say about 80% of the models we studied showed that the free market equilibrium was the best solution. So teacher ideology matters less when everything is mathematicized

But the assumptions are the rub, and the values to assume are based upon assumptions.

We are talking about minor percentage points which ultimately result in significant discrepancies.

ChinoCoug 11-18-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 308228)

Because the first one was way too small! Go figure!

ChinoCoug 11-18-2009 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 308232)
But the assumptions are the rub, and the values to assume are based upon assumptions.

We are talking about minor percentage points which ultimately result in significant discrepancies.

What if you use generalized numbers like Y=A*L^gK^(1-g) with no actual values?

Archaea 11-18-2009 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 308240)
What if you use generalized numbers like Y=A*L^gK^(1-g) with no actual values?

At some point assumptions and values have to be made, but I understand your point.

Tex 11-18-2009 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 308239)
Because the first one was way too small! Go figure!

Translation: "Sorry that $50K investment didn't work out ma'am, but if you give me another $50K, I'm sure we can make it grow this time."

Bandits.

Tex 12-02-2009 01:26 PM

I usually ignore email forwards because their one step removed from spam, but this one made me chuckle.

So to honor Cali's and Chino's $800B-isn't-enough-we-need-more-and-more, I offer this email:

Quote:

Dear Mr. President,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing America 's economy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan. You can call it the "Patriotic Retirement Plan":

There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new American CAR. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.

It can't get any easier than that!!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes...

Mr. President, while you're at it, make Congress retire on Social Security and Medicare. I'll bet both programs would be fixed pronto!
And raise minimum wage to about $25/hr.

Sign me up.

Cali Coug 12-03-2009 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 308537)
I usually ignore email forwards because their one step removed from spam, but this one made me chuckle.

So to honor Cali's and Chino's $800B-isn't-enough-we-need-more-and-more, I offer this email:

And raise minimum wage to about $25/hr.

Sign me up.

Hmm. So when economists suggested about $1.2 trillion in spending (not tax cuts) would be needed to get things going (and it is looking more and more like they were right), Texie then got the impression that would be roughly the same as advocating for a plan which would cost $40,000,000,000,000 (40 million x 1 million)?

Good thinking.

ChinoCoug 12-03-2009 04:00 PM

More on what a "Democrat" economist means:

The following is a Naomi Klein article:

Quote:

And here there are more problems, because Obama--who taught law at the University of Chicago for a decade--is thoroughly embedded in the mind-set known as the Chicago School.

He chose as his chief economic adviser Austan Goolsbee, a University of Chicago economist on the left side of a spectrum that stops at the center-right.
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080630/klein

Tex 12-09-2009 04:45 PM

Via the Corner:

Quote:

Sens. John McCain and Tom Coburn issued a 55-page report on stimulus spending that shows that the package included at least $7 billion of wasteful spending. Here is a sampling from this morning's newspapers:

Politico reports "$4.7 million for Lockheed Martin to study supersonic corporate jet travel," more than "$210,000 for the National Institutes of Health to study the sex lives of college students," and "roughly $233,000 for California college students to conduct exit polls in Africa about voting patterns."

CBS Evening News adds "$221,000 for a study on why young men don't like condoms, $5 million to provide geothermal heat for a Tennessee mall that's all but empty, and $950,000 for studying ant behavior at two Arizona universities."

The Washington Times explains that "the nearly $1 million in stimulus money being spent to study the division of labor among ants and the $400,000 spent to catalog Buffalo, N.Y., residents' drinking and drug habits are proof that President Obama's $787 billion economic recovery program is filled with waste."
And of course, Drudge tells us $6M went to Hillary's pollster Mark Penn.

I'm sure this is exactly what Keynes had in mind.

Tex 01-11-2010 06:13 PM

http://michaelscomments.files.wordpr...ember-dots.gif

ChinoCoug 01-12-2010 02:41 PM

Dang, Bush messed things up beyond my wildest imagination.

Archaea 01-12-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 309048)

You've got more humor than I imagined.

Going with the flow of economic thinking doesn't always work, does it?

Tex 01-12-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 309048)

So in your mind, Obama gets a complete pass for the utter failure of the stimulus package. I never knew you to be so generous during the Bush years, Chino.