cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Official Stopping Jake Locker Thread (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18575)

jay santos 07-11-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLOdawgs (Post 241288)
This is how I predict the season will go for us if I think with logic and do not take into account anything that is unknown (like impact of new coaching staff in key coordinator positions and young talent). I think our worst case scenario is 3-9, and our best case scenario is 6-6. Either way Ty gets fired, so it is a win-win situation.

Aug. 30 at Oregon - L
Sept. 6 BYU - L
Sept. 13 Oklahoma - L
Sept. 20 BYE - Hopefully Ty gets fired this week, if we lose to BYE we are in serious trouble...
Sept. 27 Stanford - W
Oct. 4 at Arizona - W or L - toss up
Oct. 11 BYE
Oct. 18 Oregon State - W or L - toss up
Oct. 25 Notre Dame - W or L - toss up
Nov. 1 at USC - L
Nov. 8 Arizona State - L
Nov. 15 UCLA - W
Nov. 22 at Washington State - W
Dec. 6 at California - L

That's a brutal schedule. Have to give you guys credit for scheduling. I wish we had that philosophy.

MLOdawgs 07-11-2008 11:52 PM

touchest schedule in nation two years running

Yup, we have always scheduled tough and it is exciting to play big time programs every year. We are all very excited about opening the season next year at home against LSU (we visit Tiger stadium in 2012). It would be cool to schedule a series with BYU. The Ohio State game last year at Husky stadium was awesome. Played tough the first half but like clockwork, a Ty team folded in the 2nd half. Was cool to see Husky Stadium full and sold out again though.
Check out the awesome crowd we had for this game:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=g9sdQ1D5XVI

The problem is that our coach can't compete with 7 of the other teams in the PAC-10, let alone our OOC opponents. We need a coach who can build a good program and be competitive no matter who the opponent is. Ty is approx 6-20 or so in the PAC-10 in his three years here. I think we are 11 and 25 total.

We are also very proud of the fact we are one of only five teams in the country (three of which are PAC-10 schools) that have never played a Div II opponent.

BYUTexan 07-12-2008 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLOdawgs (Post 241339)
Yup, we have always scheduled tough and it is exciting to play big time programs every year. We are all very excited about opening the season next year at home against LSU (we visit Tiger stadium in 2012). It would be cool to schedule a series with BYU. The Ohio State game last year at Husky stadium was awesome. Played tough the first half but like clockwork, a Ty team folded in the 2nd half. Was cool to see Husky Stadium full and sold out again though.
Check out the awesome crowd we had for this game:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=g9sdQ1D5XVI

The problem is that our coach can't compete with 7 of the other teams in the PAC-10, let alone our OOC opponents. We need a coach who can build a good program and be competitive no matter who the opponent is. Ty is approx 6-20 or so in the PAC-10 in his three years here. I think we are 11 and 25 total.

We are also very proud of the fact we are one of only five teams in the country (three of which are PAC-10 schools) that have never played a Div II opponent.

You mean 1AA? How do you think our matchup will play out? I'm nervous as hell, and I just want some good level headed non emotional analysis from both sides. I'm so nervous.

MLOdawgs 07-12-2008 12:47 AM

hmm...

Yeah I hear that. It's hard to say, there is so many question marks on our team and I don't know very much about BYU.

All I can do is tell you which areas we are very optimistic about:

DEFENSE - New DC Ed Donnatell is a major upgrade over Kent Baer and already has our defense hitting hard and popping pads. Our safeties Nate Williams and Victor Aeiyewa can knock your head off but they are very inexperienced. Our corners are either mediocre upper classmen or talented but inexperienced frosh. The D-line has only one starter returning, Teo-Nesheim, and the rest will be talented but inexperienced frosh/sophomores. The strength of our defense is our Linebacker corps, even with Savannah injured. Mason Foster started last year as a true freshmen and is a total stud. Butler is big and fast and Tuiasosopo is a fire hydrant in the middle.

OFFENSE - The strength of the team is the O-line, which is pretty good even with our best lineman C Juan Garcia injured. Our two deeps at the Oline are all at or over 300 pounds. We have a talented but inexperienced RB in Sophomore Brandon Johnson and a young stable of frosh behind him. Chris Polk and Curtis Shaw will be used like Reggie Bush and will play both RB and WR depending on the formation. We have a lot of speed at WR but inexperience everywhere as we graduated five senior WR's this year. We have a couple of really good FB's. Our TE situation last year was pathetic and should be improved this year with high profile recruit Chris Izbicki seeing the playing field. It's possible Kavario Middleton (even higher profile TE recruit) could play but I have a feeling he will redshirt unless he is just too good to leave on the bench.

Jake Locker of course. EVERYTHING relies on Jake Locker. He will be why we win or lose every game in my honest opinion UNLESS the inexperienced freshmen can step up to the plate and take the pressure off of Jake.

SoCalCoug 07-12-2008 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLOdawgs (Post 241255)
Chris Polk on paper and in high school is an absolute stud, we stole him from USC where he was committed for 6 months. His nickname in high school is "little Bush" because his play style reminds people of Reggie. Lappanno said he plans to use C. Polk (and Shaw) just like USC used Reggie Bush.

I actually managed to get one of BYU's coaches down to Chris' high school (my brother was his Spanish teacher) to visit with him and his coach right after he de-committed from USC. Unfortunately, he wasn't really interested in BYU. I think he's going to be a great player for you guys.