cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Jay Bybee speaks: "I WAS RIGHT ABOUT TORTURE" (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25962)

Cali Coug 05-06-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 304843)
If you're not disagreeing with that, then we're all good.

Where did you get that the point of disagreement between us was whether or not there were internal disagreements over the use of torture at the DOJ?

Tex 05-06-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 304845)
Where did you get that the point of disagreement between us was whether or not there were internal disagreements over the use of torture at the DOJ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 304831)
And it doesn't show that there was "healthy disagreement" over a "murky" topic.

Cali Coug 05-06-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 304846)

So you focused solely on the word "disagreement" and extrapolated from there?

Tex 05-06-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 304847)
So you focused solely on the word "disagreement" and extrapolated from there?

I'm not going to get into a fresh argument, arguing about how we argued the previous argument. (Is it any wonder people hate lawyers?)

To sum up:

You apparently think this report shows the OLC recognizing its mistake and recommending rectifying it, and because it was under a Bush administration, you think there's no politics involved.

I think the report is simply one more piece of evidence reflecting the complex moral problem waterboarding represents. And I think the present-day attempts to "crucify" people for their opinions is all about politics.

We've both made our cases. Time to move on.

Cali Coug 05-06-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 304848)
I'm not going to get into a fresh argument, arguing about how we argued the previous argument. (Is it any wonder people hate lawyers?)

To sum up:

You apparently think this report shows the OLC recognizing its mistake and recommending rectifying it, and because it was under a Bush administration, you think there's no politics involved.

I think the report is simply one more piece of evidence reflecting the complex moral problem waterboarding represents. And I think the present-day attempts to "crucify" people for their opinions is all about politics.

We've both made our cases. Time to move on.

But that is just it, Tex. Waterboarding isn't a complex moral problem. Even the OLC under the Bush administration determined that one of their own should face sanctions by his state bar association for his conduct in writing the memos. You and your ilk want to make waterboarding out to be "murky" and a "complex moral problem." It isn't. It is clear. It is torture. Bybee advocated torturing people, and then people were tortured using Bybee's logic as their rationale. The fact that bad people advocated bad ideas and that people then acted on those bad ideas does not make the subject "murky." Numerous US cases have consistently held that waterboarding is torture. We have publicly decried regimes for their use of waterboarding as torture. The SERE program teaches people to resist torture, including waterboarding. You guys have so completely lost your moral compass that you think this is just a political question. I hope to never be like you.

Tex 05-06-2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 304849)
But that is just it, Tex. Waterboarding isn't a complex moral problem. Even the OLC under the Bush administration determined that one of their own should face sanctions by his state bar association for his conduct in writing the memos. You and your ilk want to make waterboarding out to be "murky" and a "complex moral problem." It isn't. It is clear. It is torture. Bybee advocated torturing people, and then people were tortured using Bybee's logic as their rationale. The fact that bad people advocated bad ideas and that people then acted on those bad ideas does not make the subject "murky." Numerous US cases have consistently held that waterboarding is torture. We have publicly decried regimes for their use of waterboarding as torture. The SERE program teaches people to resist torture, including waterboarding. You guys have so completely lost your moral compass that you think this is just a political question. I hope to never be like you.

That's all your opinion, and you're welcome to it. Obviously I and a lot of other fine, moral upstanding people feel differently.

MikeWaters 05-06-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 304850)
That's all your opinion, and you're welcome to it. Obviously I and a lot of other fine, moral upstanding people feel differently.

thanks for the chuckle.

Levin 05-06-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 304851)
thanks for the chuckle.

Supercilious bastard.

MikeWaters 11-20-2013 06:04 PM

Bybee back in the news. Tragedy.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57...judge.html.csp