cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   "Marry in your own race" (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22308)

Indy Coug 09-09-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 263514)
So no thoughts on the dangers of marrying a "career woman"?

That wasn't in the lesson. Though it's pretty easy to argue that LDS teachings strongly suggest that a man should marry a woman who intends to be a homemaker.

But only if you read between the lines of fine print.

Indy Coug 09-09-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ (Post 263517)
Aren't you the same fellow who has stated that many Church members can hardly understand and apply even the simple lessons, and now you're expecting close reading?

It appears from this thread that even the learned can't find their own butt with two hands and a spotter.

Sleeping in EQ 09-09-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 263519)
It appears from this thread that even the learned can't find their own butt with two hands and a spotter.

There's no need for insults. You are as inconsistent as anyone else when it comes to these things.

Flystripper 09-09-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 263456)
Am I the only one who thinks Mike is making this story up? I don't really want to be an a-hole here, but Mike's been hitting this obscure quote from the manual for several weeks, and then, coincidentally enough, he happens to attend a lesson in which this was taught? In thirty years in the Church, I've never heard this quote, and I'd guess that most of us here haven't either.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

It was taught in my ward growing up. I am only 34.

SteelBlue 09-09-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 263508)
CG has always had a hard time distinguishing commandment vs. counsel.

It's the fact that it was counsel that's disturbing.

MikeWaters 09-09-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 263544)

Signed,
The 21st Century

Indy Coug 09-09-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

You now have 5,555 posts. That's kinda cool.

Tex 09-09-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

I don't find it all that disturbing for the time.

It's always cool when pointed heads take counsel from 30, 50, or 150 years ago and pretend it was delivered over the General Conference pulpit yesterday.

Is the concept outdated and should the manual be updated? Yes. Quit obsessing about it for heaven's sake.

Surfah 09-09-2008 09:12 PM

I don't find the quote offensive to be perfectly candid.

I am the product of an interracial marriage. I looked long and hard for another half-breed like myself, but alas married Gidget who is a white honky.

Flystripper 09-09-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 263551)
I don't find it all that disturbing for the time.

It's always cool when pointed heads take counsel from 30, 50, or 150 years ago and pretend it was delivered over the General Conference pulpit yesterday.

Is the concept outdated and should the manual be updated? Yes. Quit obsessing about it for heaven's sake.

When it is in the current manual it is as if it is delivered today.