cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Minimum Wage (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10254)

Colly Wolly 07-24-2007 01:19 AM

Minimum Wage

Are you for or against a minimum wage? Why?

I'm against it for the typical republican, free-market reasons. People should be paid what the free market dictates they deserve. The government should stay out of it. It benefits a few at the expense of many.

il Padrino Ute 07-24-2007 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colly Wolly (Post 105132)

I'm against it for the typical republican, free-market reasons. People should be paid what the free market dictates they deserve. The government should stay out of it. It benefits a few at the expense of many.

Amen, brother.

BlueK 07-24-2007 03:19 AM

Quote:

I'll make an alternative argument against. The government shouldn't be able to tell me how much I can sell my labor for. That's between me and my employer. Why is it legal for me to work for free but not for more than free but less than x?

ChinoCoug 07-24-2007 05:04 AM

Quote:

minimum wage makes work more attractive than welfare.

il Padrino Ute 07-24-2007 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 105171)
minimum wage makes work more attractive than welfare.

I mostly disagree with this, but can agree with it in part:

I agree because I believe in working and earning one's lot in life.

I disagree because I've seen too many people who would rather sit on their hineys and cash their welfare check than actually get off the couch and work for their money.

ChinoCoug 07-24-2007 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 105174)
I mostly disagree with this, but can agree with it in part:

I agree because I believe in working and earning one's lot in life.

I disagree because I've seen too many people who would rather sit on their hineys and cash their welfare check than actually get off the couch and work for their money.

I don't see where the disagreement is (re minimum wage).

A lot of students at BYU make sure they don't work for over a certain # of hours so they can still receive their pell grant.

Most of us are doing the same thing, just on a smaller scale. We're just more educated than most poor people are to see that.

Blame the freakin system, not the people. Let's change the incentive structure so more people would rather work than receive welfare. Raise the minimum wage.

ChinoCoug 07-24-2007 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 105144)
I'll make an alternative argument against. The government shouldn't be able to tell me how much I can sell my labor for. That's between me and my employer. Why is it legal for me to work for free but not for more than free but less than x?

to keep your employer from cajoling you and exploiting you

il Padrino Ute 07-24-2007 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 105177)
I don't see where the disagreement is (re minimum wage).

A lot of students at BYU make sure they don't work for over a certain # of hours so they can still receive their pell grant.

Most of us are doing the same thing, just on a smaller scale. We're just more educated than most poor people are to see that.

Blame the freakin system, not the people. Let's change the incentive structure so more people would rather work than receive welfare. Raise the minimum wage.

The disagreement is that the government is telling private business how much it has to pay it's employees.

I blame the people who work the system. Why get a job when you don't have to do anything to get a check?

I'm not talking about the students who need to work less than x amount of hours to be able to get a Pell Gran. I'm talking about the lazy people who don't want to work or go to school.

ChinoCoug 07-24-2007 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 105185)
The disagreement is that the government is telling private business how much it has to pay it's employees.

I blame the people who work the system. Why get a job when you don't have to do anything to get a check?

agreed

Quote:

I'm not talking about the students who need to work less than x amount of hours to be able to get a Pell Gran. I'm talking about the lazy people who don't want to work or go to school.
I'm saying both are the same thing at different scales. We do the same thing those "lazy people" do when given the same incentive structure.

il Padrino Ute 07-24-2007 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 105187)
I'm saying both are the same thing at different scales. We do the same thing those "lazy people" do when given the same incentive structure.

Got it.

Still, those who work and go to school understand the value of work. Quite e difference, IMO.

Indy Coug 07-24-2007 11:18 AM

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2438595

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2438325

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2415181

All-American 07-24-2007 02:56 PM

I think Minimum Wage is an imperfect solution to a problem for which we do not have a better solution.

Ideally, people are paid what their worth. But in a perfect economic system, each employed human being would be making the greatest contribution possible to the economy-- and I don't believe that people are not capable of contributing more than 7.50 and hour.

Given that the economic system is not perfect, and we have not been able to figure out how to get everybody to contribute to the fullest extent, minimum wage is a good safety net to make sure people don't get screwed. I reluctantly accept it.

ChinoCoug 07-25-2007 03:59 AM

Your analysis is dead-on target. I don't know if you're aware of economic studies on this. Most studies show that the minimum wage ha a negative effect on employment, but many economists support it anyway because it protects those who need the living wage.

il Padrino Ute 07-25-2007 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 105591)
The government has to tell many businesses what to pay because otherwise, the imbalance in negotiating power would result in an entire class of workers being exploited.

Perhaps those workers should go into business for themselves.

The less government in the private sector, the better.

il Padrino Ute 07-25-2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 105599)
If they had the kind of money (or credit)it takes to go into business for themselves, there wouldn't be an inequity of bargaining power with their prospective employers.

True.

However, there is ample opportunity in this country. The American Dream is alive and well, despite many who claim otherwise. All it takes is the desire to do what it takes.

ChinoCoug 07-25-2007 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 105600)
True.

However, there is ample opportunity in this country. The American Dream is alive and well, despite many who claim otherwise. All it takes is the desire to do what it takes.

I don't think this debate is gonna get anywhere if you keep talking in warm-fuzzy ideological mantras and CaliCoug is speaking at a different level of concreteness.

il Padrino Ute 07-25-2007 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 105603)
I don't think this debate is gonna get anywhere if you keep talking in warm-fuzzy ideological mantras and CaliCoug is speaking at a different level of concreteness.

Are you saying that what I say is untrue?

il Padrino Ute 07-25-2007 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 105606)
Yes, there are ample opportunities in this country. Yes, you are better off here than other countries in general.

That said, opportunities here are frequently more available depending on your race, sex and economic background. The government has done a lot to remedy the inequities in those areas, and the minimum wage is part of that process.

While I can agree with this, I don't accept it as a reason to not go to school and make a better life for anyone. It can be done.

Those willing to work for minimum wage only deserve the minimum wage and nothing more. Still, my original complaint is that I don't like the idea of the government telling me how much I would have to pay someone should I hire employees.

ChinoCoug 07-25-2007 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 105604)
Are you saying that what I say is untrue?

reality's a lot more complicated

il Padrino Ute 07-25-2007 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 105609)
reality's a lot more complicated

Reality is what you make it.

ChinoCoug 07-25-2007 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 105611)
Reality is what you make it.

only in your utopia

il Padrino Ute 07-25-2007 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 105612)
Why is it a matter of "deserving?" Do you "deserve" to have more economic opportunities because you were born into a white middle-class family (guessing here) in a stable economic environment with safe public schools? Does a black person who is born in the inner city into a home with a single parent and multiple kids "deserve" to only earn the minimum wage?

I think you give yourself far too much credit for your successes and disparage others far too much for their failures.

Sure, many people can overcome their circumstances to be economically successful. But to pretend that others who can't overcome their circumstances "deserve" no better and you do is sickening.

As King Benjamin once asked, "Are we not all beggars?" Sometimes I read Mosiah Chapters 3-5 and wonder if they aren't printed in anyone else's Book of Mormon.

No, I don't deserve anything in the sense that I was born into a white middle class family. (Good guess). I'm saying that if people aren't willing to do what they have to do - no matter what it is - deserve their life.

There is no excuse for anyone to not get a good education. It's all a matter of if one is willing to do it. While I had the opportunity to get an education because of baseball at Marist and took advantage of it by getting a degree, when I decided to go to mortuary school, I was rejected from my first two choices because of the color of my skin. Fine, I applied somewhere else and went there. No reason to whine about it.

My guess is that liberals love to have victims because without victims, there is no reason for liberals to exist.

King Benjamin was a wise man. We all are beggars in some sense; however, there comes a time when we need to rely on ourselves to make something of our life.

il Padrino Ute 07-25-2007 05:30 AM

My reality is what I made.

My parents were both educators until I was 12 when my dad decided to get his general contractor's license and went into business for himself. He and mom worked hard to provide food and shelter for the kids. By the time I graduated high school, my dad's business was doing great, but he did all of us kids a favor and didn't buy us what we wanted or offer to pay for school. My parents decided that we would be better off if we did it ourselves.

Fortunately, I had worked my ass of in baseball to be good enough to play in exchange for my education.

Everything I have, I've done on my own. I bought my own home on my own credit. I did what had to be done.

I'll be honest that I never thought about me being white as the reason behind my ability to get where I am, because I don't play that game. I believe that anyone can succeed if they are willing to do what it takes. Some may have to work harder than others, but the key is the willingness to do it.

Perhaps to you it is sickening that I believe people deserve what they get, but I don't worry about that. Why is it sickening to think people can succeed if they want to succeed? Why do they have to have a safety net to fail?

ChinoCoug 07-25-2007 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 105614)
Out of curiosity, do you believe that your environment (or anyone's environment) has any impact at all on your likelihood of future economic success? Or are you going to take all of the credit for any successes you may have had in life?

I remember meeting a kid on my mission in Chile who went out every day to sell gum and trinkets on a bus. I found him annoying, because he seemed to be on every bus I rode and he was always so pushy with the sales. One day, I happened to come across the kid at his home. His father had just beaten him to a bloody pulp (he was 6) for not selling enough for the day. The father then took the kid's money and sent him off to buy some cheap wine (so the father could then get drunk and beat the kid some more).

Now I realize that the kid just wasn't making his own reality. I mean, he was a great salesman! The future is very bright for that lad with all of his talents and opportunities (and please don't try and pretend that you think things just like this don't happen in the US).

Studies have shown that even your great-grandparents circumstances can be a good predictor of your economic success.

FMCoug 07-25-2007 11:26 AM

As most of you know, I grew up in a Children's Home, joined the Church when I was 15. Went on a mission and then to college (all on financial aid) and am now doing quite well. Most of the kids I grew up with are either in jail, dead, or complete losers working dead end jobs, multiple divorces or children out of wedlock, etc.

What is the difference between them and me? If environment is the determining factor, why have I accomplished what I have? The liberal line about lack of educational and job oppotunities is complete BULLSHIT. And I for one, am one conservative who is not just saying this from an ivory tower. I have walked the walk.

MikeWaters 07-25-2007 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 105634)
As most of you know, I grew up in a Children's Home, joined the Church when I was 15. Went on a mission and then to college (all on financial aid) and am now doing quite well. Most of the kids I grew up with are either in jail, dead, or complete losers working dead end jobs, multiple divorces or children out of wedlock, etc.

What is the difference between them and me? If environment is the determining factor, why have I accomplished what I have? The liberal line about lack of educational and job oppotunities is complete BULLSHIT. And I for one, am one conservative who is not just saying this from an ivory tower. I have walked the walk.

I haven't been following the thread, but if it's an argument against environment, read the last sentence of your first paragraph.

FMCoug 07-25-2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 105636)
I haven't been following the thread, but if it's an argument against environment, read the last sentence of your first paragraph.

It's an argument FOR personal responsibility and taking the opportunities available. Environment clearly has an impact ... no argument there.

MikeWaters 07-25-2007 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 105637)
It's an argument FOR personal responsibility and taking the opportunities available. Environment clearly has an impact ... no argument there.

the kids in my ward, where no one in the family has ever been to college, are facing an uphill battle. As far as I can tell, only one is serious about his academics, and is rising above his background.

My parents struggled with money for most of my life. But they were far ahead of the desperate poor in that they owned a modest home, and my dad had a PhD. So I guess in a way, I rose above my background in terms of career and education, but not by *that* much. If I hadn't had parents encouraging me to do better, I don't know where I'd be.

Indy Coug 07-25-2007 01:21 PM

I'm still awaiting the CG liberal cognoscenti to tell me how my minimum wage posts show that I'm in lock step with the GOP.

BigFatMeanie 07-25-2007 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 105221)
I think Minimum Wage is an imperfect solution to a problem for which we do not have a better solution.

Ideally, people are paid what their worth. But in a perfect economic system, each employed human being would be making the greatest contribution possible to the economy-- and I don't believe that people are not capable of contributing more than 7.50 and hour.

Given that the economic system is not perfect, and we have not been able to figure out how to get everybody to contribute to the fullest extent, minimum wage is a good safety net to make sure people don't get screwed. I reluctantly accept it.

You don't believe that people are not capable of contributing more than 7.50 an hour? Try this on for size:

I work in the Document Management business. One facet of our business is a service bureau where we scan our customer's documents and convert them into digital images. Before we can scan the documents, they need to be prepared: staples pulled, paperclips removed, tears taped, etc. We have several employees that spend 40 hours a week pulling staples. Most of these employees have extremely low education, skill, common sense, and life mangement skill levels. It takes a special kind of person to sit there and pull staples for 40 hours a week. Most of these people are not self-sufficient from their employment and never will be. They generally live with a parent or some other type of guardian. Most of them don't have their own transportation. Some of them are just housewives looking to make an extra buck with minimal responsibility. Some of these people have been doing this job for 15+ years. We pay them minimum wage.

We charge our customers in terms of cents per image. In the past, we used to charge between $.09 and $.10 per image. Now, we face competition from cheaper service bureaus in the Philippines, Mexico, Bangladesh, etc. Our prices have been driven down to $.05 and $.06. When a minimum wage increase happens, we either have to eat the cost or else raise our price to the customer. If we raise the price to our customers too much then the business will go to Bangladesh. If the business goes to Bangladesh then we will be laying off our lowest skilled workers - workers that can't really compete in any other setting.

Business is like water, traffic, and electricity - they all seek the easiest path. Water will flow to the lowest level. Traffic and electricity will flow through the path of least resistance. Business will go to the lowest cost provider all other things being equal. In a business like software development or other knowledge work, all other things aren't always equal. The Indian programmer may be 5 times as cheap as me but he doesn't have the communication skills and analysis skills and experience that I have. Thus, employers are willing to pay a higher price for my skills because all other things aren't equal. But if the only thing I'm competing on is price then I better watch out because someone will always come along and do it cheaper. In the case of staple pulling, about the only thing there is to compete on is price. It's not like these workers can be "retrained" for a different career. Staple pulling is a stable and safe environment and provides basic employment for people that would find operating the grill or deep frier at McDonalds a dangerous challenge. In my experience as a businessman, raising the minimum wage only hurts the very people it is supposed to be helping.

I just don't understand what makes the do-gooder social engineering type of people, with their "one size fits all" approach and their wasteful, bureaucratically administered 'solutions', so completely unable to grasp the Law of Unintended Consequences?

Brian 07-25-2007 07:46 PM

get rid of the minimum wage. why isn't there a minium price for a medium sized grapefruit? both are commodities to be traded.

get rid of welfare. then there are no decisions on "how hard/much to work". Let private charities deal with those who can't work. I'd gladly give the portion of my taxes being wasted on welfare to private orgs (and it would likely require a much smaller amount).

Of course, the odds of this ever happening is nigh unto 1 chance in an avagadros number.

MikeWaters 07-25-2007 08:00 PM

how many wards can't even handle their own charity needs? a lot.

Indy Coug 07-25-2007 08:04 PM

We packed two vans to the brim with the Bishop's Storehouse run this month. I guarantee you our branch doesn't even remotely get close to covering the price tag for this from internal fast offerings.

FMCoug 07-25-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 105639)
the kids in my ward, where no one in the family has ever been to college, are facing an uphill battle. As far as I can tell, only one is serious about his academics, and is rising above his background.

College isn't for everybody. Like it or not, there DOES need to be a working class. Those who have the gumption to rise above it, great. Others will not. It sounds cold but it is reality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 105639)
My parents struggled with money for most of my life. But they were far ahead of the desperate poor in that they owned a modest home, and my dad had a PhD. So I guess in a way, I rose above my background in terms of career and education, but not by *that* much. If I hadn't had parents encouraging me to do better, I don't know where I'd be.

I think you'd be surprised. You had the encouragement, but it's a bit of a leap to say you wouldn't be where you are without the encouragement.

IMO, the bottom line is that some of us are wired as "go-getters" and some are not.

Surfah 07-26-2007 12:03 AM

I remember working as a lube tech in high school at Pennzoil when minimum wage in California first went up 10-12 years ago. I had been working my ass off for the better part of a year and earned a few nickel and dime pay raises along the way to the point where I was making a bit more than minimum wage. Then they raised wages and I only made a nickel more an hour over minimum wage and they wouldn't raise me the difference. They hired two new guys that next summer at minimum wage. I had been there a year and I was training these guys making $0.05 more an hour than them. So I quit.

I don't think there should be any minimum wage. Let the market determine that as Brian suggested.

All-American 07-26-2007 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie (Post 105776)
You don't believe that people are not capable of contributing more than 7.50 an hour? Try this on for size:

I work in the Document Management business. One facet of our business is a service bureau where we scan our customer's documents and convert them into digital images. Before we can scan the documents, they need to be prepared: staples pulled, paperclips removed, tears taped, etc. We have several employees that spend 40 hours a week pulling staples. Most of these employees have extremely low education, skill, common sense, and life mangement skill levels. It takes a special kind of person to sit there and pull staples for 40 hours a week. Most of these people are not self-sufficient from their employment and never will be. They generally live with a parent or some other type of guardian. Most of them don't have their own transportation. Some of them are just housewives looking to make an extra buck with minimal responsibility. Some of these people have been doing this job for 15+ years. We pay them minimum wage.

We charge our customers in terms of cents per image. In the past, we used to charge between $.09 and $.10 per image. Now, we face competition from cheaper service bureaus in the Philippines, Mexico, Bangladesh, etc. Our prices have been driven down to $.05 and $.06. When a minimum wage increase happens, we either have to eat the cost or else raise our price to the customer. If we raise the price to our customers too much then the business will go to Bangladesh. If the business goes to Bangladesh then we will be laying off our lowest skilled workers - workers that can't really compete in any other setting.

Business is like water, traffic, and electricity - they all seek the easiest path. Water will flow to the lowest level. Traffic and electricity will flow through the path of least resistance. Business will go to the lowest cost provider all other things being equal. In a business like software development or other knowledge work, all other things aren't always equal. The Indian programmer may be 5 times as cheap as me but he doesn't have the communication skills and analysis skills and experience that I have. Thus, employers are willing to pay a higher price for my skills because all other things aren't equal. But if the only thing I'm competing on is price then I better watch out because someone will always come along and do it cheaper. In the case of staple pulling, about the only thing there is to compete on is price. It's not like these workers can be "retrained" for a different career. Staple pulling is a stable and safe environment and provides basic employment for people that would find operating the grill or deep frier at McDonalds a dangerous challenge. In my experience as a businessman, raising the minimum wage only hurts the very people it is supposed to be helping.

I just don't understand what makes the do-gooder social engineering type of people, with their "one size fits all" approach and their wasteful, bureaucratically administered 'solutions', so completely unable to grasp the Law of Unintended Consequences?

This is kind of what I mean. There are people who have, as you point out, "low education, skill, common sense, and life management skill levels." But how many of these things cannot ultimately be acquired? Maybe I just have too much faith in humankind to think that we can't find a way to make most people more useful than $7.50/hour.

The best solution is to make workers worth more, which is not the same thing as paying them more. We're not sure how to make them worth more.

ChinoCoug 07-26-2007 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 105869)
This is kind of what I mean. There are people who have, as you point out, "low education, skill, common sense, and life management skill levels." But how many of these things cannot ultimately be acquired? Maybe I just have too much faith in humankind to think that we can't find a way to make most people more useful than $7.50/hour.

The best solution is to make workers worth more, which is not the same thing as paying them more. We're not sure how to make them worth more.

if you give them better machines their work will be worth more

ChinoCoug 07-26-2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 105796)
College isn't for everybody. Like it or not, there DOES need to be a working class. Those who have the gumption to rise above it, great. Others will not. It sounds cold but it is reality.

Let's hold everybody else down and make them dumb and ignorant.

It's cold and it's counterproductive. Everyone can benefit from an education, even the working class.

Education is supposed to be the great equalizer, the vehicle to extend the American dream accessible to everybody.

il Padrino Ute 07-26-2007 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 105870)
Environment is A determining factor, not THE determining factor. I don't think there is a single determining factor for anyone. Genetics (including intelligence, physical abilities, leadership and communication skills, etc.), environment (including family, economic circumstances, neighborhood, friends, etc.), and sheer dumb luck all play a part, among others.

I simply find it amusing to hear anyone say "I am a self-made man." Some people have done much more than others to get where they are today, but nobody is truly self-made. And some people, regardless of the effort they put in, are simply never going to be wealthy or economically successful.

Why does the left believe that people are incapable of succeeding without the help of the government?

ChinoCoug 07-26-2007 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 105889)
Why does the left believe that people are incapable of succeeding without the help of the government?

we don't. we're trying to determine the factors that correlate with success so we can determine how the government can expand opportunity to more people. you keep making oversimplistic, dichotomous statements.