cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Plaisted gone? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19343)

SteelBlue 05-13-2008 03:50 AM

Plaisted gone?

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3734340

SeattleUte 05-13-2008 03:55 AM

Good.

jay santos 05-13-2008 02:23 PM

This is what I expected. I don't have any inside info, but everything I've heard the last two years from various sources is that he's not really happy at BYU, with his role and development and was itching to get out, even if it's not to the NBA. Not that it was a big rift with the coaches, just that he felt his progress as a BB player would be better in a different situation. I can't imagine having DUI chanted every time he shot free throws last year or seeing his wife's mug shot blown up to poster size by opposing fans helped either.

It's too bad. With him, we could have been a top 25 team and a 4-5 seed. Without him, it will be interesting to see how the team forms, but we should be about as good as we were last year.

MikeWaters 05-13-2008 02:26 PM

I don't mind if Trent is gone. Peanut brain was very frustrating to watch.

Indy Coug 05-13-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 220301)
I don't mind if Trent is gone. Peanut brain was very frustrating to watch.

BYU will be a worse team without him next year, brain size notwithstanding.

Venkman 05-13-2008 02:55 PM

Good luck in Europe Trent.

MikeWaters 05-13-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 220325)
Good luck in Europe Trent.

Is there a market there for big guys who can't play D, and can't shoot a 5 foot jump shot?

Archaea 05-13-2008 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 220310)
BYU will be a worse team without him next year, brain size notwithstanding.

I agree. BYU has seen its high water mark for basketball and it wasn't very high.

TheSizzle36 05-13-2008 03:13 PM

Good riddance to Trent. Coach Rose should have kicked him out when his wife had that drug problem, and he decided not to go on a mission. We can't have people like that stealing tithing funds and giving BYU and the church a black eye.

DrumNFeather 05-13-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 220328)
Is there a market there for big guys who can't play D, and can't shoot a 5 foot jump shot?

Cleveland.

MikeWaters 05-13-2008 03:18 PM

Is there a chance that Cummard is rated higher by most NBA teams than Plaisted RIGHT NOW?

TheSizzle36 05-13-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 220350)
Is there a chance that Cummard is rated higher by most NBA teams than Plaisted RIGHT NOW?

He would be on my draft board. But I am not an NBA GM...

jay santos 05-13-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 220350)

NBA's a different game than college, and I pay attention more to college ball than NBA. It surprises me a lot who becomes great in the NBA and who can't cut it. But I wouldn't be surprised that what you suggest is correct. Cummard is a great shooter with length that can defend on the perimeter. He needs some more seasoning but I'd guess his potential for NBA is greater than Plaisted's. Plaisted absolutely dominates undersized college 5's but has no ability (or it would seem potential) to play at the 4 or the 5 in the NBA.

MikeWaters 05-13-2008 03:26 PM

Cummard reminds me a little bit of a small AK. I don't know how well Cummard can defend at the next level, but Cummard's best shot would be a AK/Bruce Bowen hybrid, who shoots better than both of them.

TheSizzle36 05-13-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 220355)
Cummard reminds me a little bit of a small AK. I don't know how well Cummard can defend at the next level, but Cummard's best shot would be a AK/Bruce Bowen hybrid, who shoots better than both of them.

It's a bit of a fair comparison. His build is certainly similar to AK, and he is a very versatile player. He is a solid defender, an above average passer and a decent shooter. He is like a broke man's Brandon Roy who does a lot of things well, but no one thing great. I think a more accurate comparison would be a skinnier Luke Walton. I'd like Cummard as a 10-12th man on my team.

Indy Coug 05-13-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 220360)
It's a bit of a fair comparison. His build is certainly similar to AK, and he is a very versatile player. He is a solid defender, an above average passer and a decent shooter. He is like a broke man's Brandon Roy who does a lot of things well, but no one thing great. I think a more accurate comparison would be a skinnier Luke Walton. I'd like Cummard as a 10-12th man on my team.

I'd be shocked if Cummard was drafted this year. Beyond shocked.

TheSizzle36 05-13-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 220363)
I'd be shocked if Cummard was drafted this year. Beyond shocked.

I am in no way, shape or form saying that Cummard will be picked this year. But I do like him as a player as I think he is the perfect example of a "glue" guy.

Indy Coug 05-13-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 220367)
I am in no way, shape or form saying that Cummard will be picked this year. But I do like him as a player as I think he is the perfect example of a "glue" guy.

If Plaisted and Cummard both don't return, BYU is screwed next year. Fredette will be exposed as a not-ready-for-prime-time-player.

TheSizzle36 05-13-2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 220369)
If Plaisted and Cummard both don't return, BYU is screwed next year.

This sounds more like a JohnnyLingo post, and less like an IndyCoug post. Pretty much any team that loses its top 2 players in a year is going to be screwed, especially a team like BYU.

Indy Coug 05-13-2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 220371)
This sounds more like a JohnnyLingo post, and less like an IndyCoug post. Pretty much any team that loses its top 2 players in a year is going to be screwed, especially a team like BYU.

No comment on the Fredette section of that post?

TheSizzle36 05-13-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 220392)

When I quoted your post, it wasn't there. You edited it after the fact.

jay santos 05-13-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 220392)

Fredette will be the Derron Williams of the MWC. You will be amazed at the dribble moves he uses to create space for his teammates and his own shot.

Indy Coug 05-13-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 220457)
Fredette will be the Derron Williams of the MWC. You will be amazed at the dribble moves he uses to create space for his teammates and his own shot.

Let's hope his own shot is better than the 40% he had last year.

jay santos 05-13-2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 220460)

34% from 3's
53% from 2's
85% FT%

Not bad for a freshman. He'll shoot and finish better as he gets more comfortable with the D1 game.

jay santos 05-13-2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

You're just negative and need something to complain about.

Spaz 05-13-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 220471)
34% from 3's
53% from 2's
85% FT%

Not bad for a freshman. He'll shoot and finish better as he gets more comfortable with the D1 game.

I'm with Santos here - Fredette will be better as a Soph than he was as a Fresh.

That said, I don't think he'll be the 'upgrade' many are predicting...

Indy Coug 05-13-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 220473)
You're just negative and need something to complain about.

It's more of a case of "you don't know what you've got until it's gone" and "the grass isn't always greener".

jay santos 05-13-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 220483)
It's more of a case of "you don't know what you've got until it's gone" and "the grass isn't always greener".

I just always wanted to say that to you.

jay santos 05-13-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 220480)
I'm with Santos here - Fredette will be better as a Soph than he was as a Fresh.

That said, I don't think he'll be the 'upgrade' many are predicting...

'Upgrade'? You're not going back to your Murdock love are you? He was benched in the pinnacle game of his career for a freshman with zero career starts at the position.

Spaz 05-13-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 220488)
'Upgrade'? You're not going back to your Murdock love are you? He was benched in the pinnacle game of his career for a freshman with zero career starts at the position.

Hardly a Murdock 'love'.

There's no question that, with Fredette at the point, there's a significant upgrade in terms of points out of that position and ability to drive the paint. No question at all that Jimmer's an upgrade in that respect.

The question that remains - and it's legitimate, as far as it goes - is whether Jimmer's increases in those areas will compensate for what (I am assuming) will be a significant increase in turnovers...

I would recommend not going to the 'pinnacle game' argument. It's not a very strong position to base an argument from. In fact, I have no wish to rehash the same arguments we had so long ago, over a player no longer with the team. Suffice it to say, I'm looking forward to watching Fredette be an exceptional player at BYU.

Prof-Bball 05-13-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

I attribute Jimmer's shooting percentage to his playing time last year. If you take Jimmer's FG% from all the games he played 15 minutes or more last year his percentage jumps up to about 45%FG and 40% 3pt. I looked around and found that this is a common occurence from players who go from the bench to a starting role. Cummards fg% jumped up from his freshman year quite substantially as his mpg increased. Most the year Jimmer was in a situation where he either had to make a few quick shots or he was coming out of the game. So when he went in he had to take whatever he could get.

And as for the TO/assist ratio, as the year went on Jimmer got better at this. I beleive his to/ast was close to 2 through conference play.

Spaz 05-13-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prof-Bball (Post 220517)
I attribute Jimmer's shooting percentage to his playing time last year. If you take Jimmer's FG% from all the games he played 15 minutes or more last year his percentage jumps up to about 45%FG and 40% 3pt. I looked around and found that this is a common occurence from players who go from the bench to a starting role. Cummards fg% jumped up from his freshman year quite substantially as his mpg increased. Most the year Jimmer was in a situation where he either had to make a few quick shots or he was coming out of the game. So when he went in he had to take whatever he could get.

And as for the TO/assist ratio, as the year went on Jimmer got better at this. I beleive his to/ast was close to 2 through conference play.

There's absolutely something to be said for player progression & for player consistency coming with playing time.

I've always been a supporter of Fredette getting more minutes as he gained experience - there's no denying that he's a player. And, I think by his Senior year he'll certainly be very much superior to Murdock (or Burgess if he ends up as a 2). Was he superior to Murdock last year? I don't think so - PERHAPS excepting the last few games of the year. Will he be superior this year? I think so - but I also think there will be some growing pains, especially early in the year, and mostly in the turnover department.

Prof-Bball 05-13-2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 220519)
There's absolutely something to be said for player progression & for player consistency coming with playing time.

I've always been a supporter of Fredette getting more minutes as he gained experience - there's no denying that he's a player. And, I think by his Senior year he'll certainly be very much superior to Murdock (or Burgess if he ends up as a 2). Was he superior to Murdock last year? I don't think so - PERHAPS excepting the last few games of the year. Will he be superior this year? I think so - but I also think there will be some growing pains, especially early in the year.

I am going to have to diagree. If Jimmer would have got a shot at pg from the start of the season he would have been starting before conference play. I mean he only started playing pg in the second UNLV game and he had him beaten out come the MWC finals. And between the 2 biggest games of the season against the tougest competition Jimmer averaged 13.5 ppg 3rpg 2apg with a 4/1 ast/to ratio and shot Just under 50% from the field. Put those numbers against any of Murdocks best two games against CSU and Portland and it still doesnt compare.

jay santos 05-13-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaz (Post 220508)
Hardly a Murdock 'love'.

There's no question that, with Fredette at the point, there's a significant upgrade in terms of points out of that position and ability to drive the paint. No question at all that Jimmer's an upgrade in that respect.

The question that remains - and it's legitimate, as far as it goes - is whether Jimmer's increases in those areas will compensate for what (I am assuming) will be a significant increase in turnovers...

I would recommend not going to the 'pinnacle game' argument. It's not a very strong position to base an argument from. In fact, I have no wish to rehash the same arguments we had so long ago, over a player no longer with the team. Suffice it to say, I'm looking forward to watching Fredette be an exceptional player at BYU.

Why not go to the pinnacle game argument?

Doesn't it say a lot that Rose went to Jimmer in the most important game of the year, undoing a 30 game pattern and putting a frosh over a senior?

Prof-Bball 05-13-2008 07:35 PM

In the MWC Finals we were -1 with fredette in the game, -16 with murdock and murdock wasn't even in those last minutes where wink went unconcious from the 3pt line and we kept fouling to try to get back in it.

In five minutes against a&m murdock was -11. Jimmer was +6.

MikeWaters 05-13-2008 07:37 PM

by the end of the season it was clear that Jimmer was >> than Murdock.

It wasn't even close.

MikeWaters 05-13-2008 08:30 PM

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3735115

Quote:

I've known for over a week that TP is gone. A friend and former player (who still is close to the team) told me that TP had no more desire to stick around. I didn't realize he had hired an agent, though. According to my friend (who is very critical of Trent), TP hears all the criticism and knows about his "reputation" amongst fans. He feels extremely undervalued and underappreciated. He has been told that he'll be drafted, so he'll take the opportunity.

This friend also says that TP lacks a work-ethic, and very seldom works on his game. Most of the players take every chance they have to play pick-up games...not TP. He hangs out and watches.
I hope the Knicks draft him. Or the Lakers.

TheSizzle36 05-13-2008 08:44 PM

So is it official that TP is gone?

MikeWaters 05-13-2008 08:46 PM

Who gets credit for driving TP away?

I don't feel like I have enough visibility to take credit.

Indy Coug 05-13-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 220619)
Who gets credit for driving TP away?

I don't feel like I have enough visibility to take credit.

Is this some sort of consolation prize for you since Tavernari is still in school?